X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow as my good wave board

Would u recommend the Unibrow as a good wave board when my current go to board for everything else is a 5'6 Spitfire? Kind of waves I would use it in primarily are 4ft+ hollow point breaks Thanks

Maybe look at the Mini driver if its hollow. It has a more pulled in tail and It might complement the spit more. But I have not had the chance to ride a UB.

Comment

Thanks. I do currently use a 5'11 Hellrazor for better waves and it is great but since getting the Spitfire I absolutely love the feel of the board and would like my better wave board to behave similarly but just handle the size and hollowness better than the Spitfire

Comment

I'm not sure what size wave you have in mind when referring to 4 foot plus. If you mean chest/shoulder high and up - up to say 2x overhead, then yes, the UB would be great. If you mean 1.5x overhead and up then, no, the UB wouldn't be the best pick and your existing Hellrazor would work better.

Comment

Thanks Buzzy. The Spitty absolutely cooks for chest to shoulder and a little bit bigger (say just overhead) I am definitely more looking at the 1.5 to double +. Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling my Razor would still be the go to board for that surf

Appreciate the response!!

Comment

Yeah Marty, i like what the folks have said already in the thread. the MD will have greater ease of use than the Hellrazor, though i feel in 1.5x overhead, hollow surf, the Hellrazor is a great option. If your goal is to maintain that "hybrid" style feel in good surf, you will be stoked with the MD!!

Comment

@MartyH, the Spitfire is a great board for waist to 1.5x overhead. However, since the release of the Unibrow, it seems to have replaced the Spit and leading the way for the other Performance Hybrids. In my opinion, a rounded pin is ideal for high performance surfing. I'm glad FW finally made one instead of the usual diamond tail. the MD looks like a great board too. I guess the deciding factor would be how big do you want your board when the waves are big.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. Decisions decisions ;-)

Comment

I know this post is a bit old now but thought I'd share a couple of recent surfs on the UB just cos im super stoked! The swell has pumped here on the Gower the past couple of days and took the UB out in some proper swell at last. The summer has been rubbish and if im honest this is the first time ive had it out in some real juice. First session was surging 3ft predominantly left peaks swinging in and the thing just ripped. Really nice flowing slashing backside turns where I could really lay it the on the rail off the top and pull it back underfoot ready for the next one. Super stoked. Then today had super offshore lined up punchy mainly rights at head and half. Again it ripped and was able to pull together some nice loopy front side turns. The board is so good paddling and on take off and I found that the bottom contours really came alive in the ground swell making it really responsive. Really think this board is good for better surf oppose to a groveler though that's just how it seems to work for me. Its def not a replacement for my Dom but really takes the same feel into bigger surf. Stoked!

Comment

Agreed with your post mrees. The UB is not really a groveller. Got to use my new UB at some quality reef/point break surf around shoulder/head high and the board worked great. Not super quick off the top as my swallow tail Channel Islands New Flyer, but more flowing and carving rail turns. Im sure the round pin has a lot to do with that. Perfect for lined up point or reef breaks. Easy to ride board. Hope to get a few barrells to see how it rides in those type of conditions.

Comment

I have a TT Spitfire 6'4" for mush and grovel and 6'6" TT Unibrow and surf a well known point break in northern NSW and the two posts above are spot on about the Unibrow. I would also say that the Unibrow will still work in mush whereas the Spitfire can lose its way on a fast, steep wall, and both have similar width in tail across front fins. The lower rails also help the UB.
                      I tried to push it to spin out on a recent 1.5 metre day and got fins humming, a sore back but no slide. 3 large scarfinis just hung in. The great thing is that the board is stable yet really responsive and loose but not twitchy. So Unibrow is a better all round board.

Comment

I've actually had a couple of recent instances of the UB skipping out from me. The first was during a wrapping forehand cut back when it unexpectedly skipped out on me. That was a head high day. Even more surprising it skipped out on a bottom turn on a chest high day. I don't think in either case my feet were out of position. Particularly on the cutback I was already 2/3rds through the turns and had felt a nice carve to that point. I'm laying the blame at the feet of my fins. I'd been using the Parko non carbon base fin on that board, which will be softer I'm guessing. I've just thrown in the carbon based version of that fin and hopefully that resolves things. I still think the UB is the best all round board in the line. It's so user friendly, no fuss, smooth carving, doesn't normally talk back etc. love it.

Comment

I recently had a demo on a 6'2" UB. It was my first surf back from a long lay off so I wasn't expecting much. I cannot give much of a ride report apart from this - 3-5ft onshore, muffed almost every take off and the ones I did make I had so much speed I just went straight trying to get to my feet quickly (and failing!) as the wave raced off. It really gets up and goes right from the outset. It's still in the running as my everyday board along with the V2 but I'll be better off with a 6'1" I think. Keen to demo one if I can get hold of it.

Comment

Goanna have you considered the pile driver it has the same DNA as your mini driver in fact the same front end with the mid point and tail widened for smaller surf plus it's a swallow like your old elff. I've been looking at it as a mid size wave board as it has enough rocker for walled up beach brakes eg close outs and hollow waves the UB with its pulled in nose looks like hard paddling for an older guy who doesn't get to surf every day any more

Comment

• Goanna
                              Goanna commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I have Oneal. It's on the radar!
                              then again there aint many FW models that aren't these days which I'm sure many tragics on here can relate to

I reckon that 5 foot mark is around the limit for the UB in practical terms, particularly erratic short period bigger swells. I rode my Futura Sunday for tge first time in a while. It was a touch under volumed for the absolute tiniest waves, but mid size and up (waist to shoulder high) it was fun. If it carried just a touch more volume down the middle I'd like that board so much more. As it is it revealed to me how important weight is to performance. I'm coming into summer with less accumulated weight than normal. Consequently my Dom is feeling over volumed in all but the tiniest waves, and the Futura which was always a touch under volumed below head high is now good for me waist high and above . Go figure. I'm glad I kept it as my quiver spans a broader range of weight levels!

Comment

• Goanna
                              Goanna commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This is why I like the look of the Pile Driver Buzzy - to me it looks just like a the thicker Futura I always yearned for.
                          Working...
                          X