Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow for a beginner/Intermediate surfer

Hi guys!

Looking for help deciding on my next board. I'm 41 years old, 5'4" 130 lbs or 59kg and fit. I've been surfing in Long Beach, NY (2-5ft beach break, might hit overhead in hurricane season). I've been surfing for a year and a half, and would say I'm a beginner/intermediate surfer. I have a 5'8" Dominator (5'8", 20", 2 3/8", volume=31) and a 6'2" JS Mystery (6'2",19 1/2", 2 5/8, volume=32.6), and want to replace the Mystery with a new FW board. The Mystery definitely has too much volume for me, but did help me learn how to take off, pump speed and do bottom turns. Now I want to switch to a board with a little less volume because I am learning new maneuvers . I love the Dominator and will use it in small or choppy condition. I want a new board to use in waist to overhead condition.

I thinking the Unibrow will be a good candidate, would you recommend? If so, which one either 5'11" (19 5/8", 2 9/16", 31.6L) or 5'10" (19 1/2", 2 1/2", 30.2L)
    Are there any other boards that you might recommend?

Thank you.

Nick

I think the 510 would be a good fit for you're after.

Comment

Hey mate the unibrow looks sweet. Have you had a look at the chubby chedda? I went from a 508spit to a 509 chubby chedda (you would go a bit smaller) and i loved it! I reckon you could even get away with going quite a lot shorter... I was suprised with the CC how well it caught waves and its 27.5L (im 70kg 5'7)... If you can a board test is the way to go! It really is all about finding that swet spot volume for your size and for the type/size of waves you are gonna use the board for... If youv got the dom for when its tiny mush why not try and down volume a bit for your step up? 508 unibrow or 508 chubby chedda?!?!

Comment

rode my unibrow yesterday here on li..waist to shoulder.. unreal! the perfect board for me where we live. the thing riiips... dunno if its a beginner low intermediate board though
        im on a 5'10 at 165 int/adv
        Last edited by kdropin; 06-10-2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Hey mate I'm riding a 5'10 at 175cm 80kg/176pound. I've only been surfing again for 6 months after being out of the water for close to 10 years,so definitely on the lower end of intermediate. It's honestly a perfect size for me. I think it would be waaaaaay too big for you. At your weight you'd get away with the 5'6 at 25L.

Comment

def factor in where we surf.. weak crap most of the time...

Comment

Thank you for the input guys.
              Really appreciate it.

Comment

@nickman...5'4 and 130 lbs? Because you plan to surf up to overhead I would recommend 5'8 (27.5 L) or 5'9 (28.8 L). if you were inter/adv i would recommend the smallest board (5'6; 25.0 L). You don't have to paddle hard if the waves are big. Also, a thinner board will be a lot more maneuverable and easier to duck dive with.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                X