X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow float

Hi Guys, I'm getting a Uni but would like to know the float around the chest area. I have a 6.0 Dom which now could be a little bigger as years have gone past, Say 6.2. A 6.4 Uni having a bit more volume and a thicker nose but not as wide as the Dom, would it paddle better then the 6.0 Dom and ride just as easy as the Dom. I have a 6.0 pnator as well for small days ,but love the volume in that. Or should I go a 6.6? 87kgs 40 yold, Average. Thoughts please

Hi I cannot say for the sizes your after but I have a 508 Dom and a 510 UB and can tell you the float on the UB is great. It's not as say stable as the Dom as its a bit narrower but the foam is well placed in the UB with the main bulk in the chest area UB. It's a great paddler. There is not a massive volume loss between the two so overall the UB still has a lot of float its just more refined. Whether it'll paddle better than the Dom In the sizes you mention i couldn't say for sure it would depend on the volume differences. 2 inches up from your Dom though and it comes close. Also ability and fitness would come into it.

Comment

@spawne, i would recommend using the volume of your DOM as a guage regardless of board length. If you use the Compare Board function on Firewire.com website it will tell you the Balance Point for each board.

ALOHA!!

Comment

I would think the 6/4 Uni would paddle about the same as your 6/0 Dom. Mine does not paddle the flats as well as my 6/2 Dom and definitely does not have that amazing last minute acceleration into the wave that a Dom has as it feels the lift of the swell. But it is still a good paddler and the refinement of nose, rail and tail dimensions give much more finessed feedback once on a nice clean wave. A 6/6 would not be too big at your weight and experience level tho if you wanted to up the wave count.

Comment

Piha when you say "that amazing last minute acceleration into the wave" do you mean while still paddling or while taking off and popping up?

Comment

Hi ONeal, I really meant the last paddle strokes as the wave lifts the fat tail of the Dom. It was better than my mal in that regard, in that the light weight, flat rocker and bouyant tail combine to allow the steepening wave to provide a lot of acceleration. It accelerates pretty well on pop up too, more so than the Unibrow. The Uni is still a bit of a hybrid so it does accelerate better than most, but it is not as automatic as with a Dom, it requires a bit more technique and rider input IMO.

Comment

Thanks guys. The balance point is around about the same, so I guess it has the same volume of foam under chest? Would the 6.6 have a lot more performance than the Dom with that extra volume?

Comment

@spawne, i think it will be because it is more refined; some people are touting the unibrow the Dom 2.0 or Dom stepup.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                X