X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling all Unibrow riders

So I'm looking at getting a board between the 5'8" Potatonator (groveller) and 6'2" Mini Driver (go to / step up)and have been thinking about the Unibrow (everyday go to board) as it seems shape wise that it should be a natural progression up to the MD. I'm thinking 5'11" / 6'0" to keep the volumes close to the MD.
    My question to all the Unibrow riders is does that big wide tail actually feel wide or does the combined attributes of this shape make it disappear under your foot?
    Last edited by Goanna; 07-01-2013, 03:32 AM.

the few times ive ridden it its been sooo good.. i have a 5'6 potatonator and 5'10 unibrow.. i'm amazed at how fast it is with just a thruster set up

Comment

thanks kd - can I ask how much you weight as well?

Comment

Yeah Goanna, I ride a 5'11'' Uni and love the board the tail is as wide as the Dom but the rails are foiled in the tail so it bites into the wave, very responsive and very fast. I am 5'10'' & 175lbs 47yrs young hope this helps also use bigger fins!! Works great as thruster haven't tried quad yet.

Comment

Hi Goanna, you would enjoy it filling the gap between those two. It may look like a similar area and shape as the tail of the Dom but I don't find it rides like one at all. Much more refined and sensitive, tons of grip in turns if you set the rail. Will top out sooner than the MD, but that is what you want anyway. Go for it, a very fun and rewarding shape.

Comment

The unibrow is my only board so have been riding it in all conditions that Sydney's northern beaches can throw at me. it has handled it all really well, have had it out in up to overhead and a half and have not felt that it has been too fat. Handles slop conditions fine but really loves a nice long wall and an open shoulder, generates ridiculous speed under those conditions. Don't really notice the width of the tail when up and riding, but you need to surf it off your back foot where the rail has a heap of bite, the rails around the front foot area are quite full.

Comment

• Goanna
              Goanna commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks walkingdisaster that's good info cause I surf the Southside of Sydney - can I ask what weight you are and what size you are riding?

Just going to another one into the mix. What about a CC or SC, The PN is a small groveler funy type tail. MD is a rounded tail stick a good old squash in there to mix it up. I have a PN and MD and use my Sub as my daily driver when its shoulder to head clean. if juncky I use the spud...

Comment

• Goanna
              Goanna commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah Morgs the CC is in with a chance as well. It reminds me a lot of the El Fuego in the way it has a flat entry rocker and kick in the tail.
              I thinking I might as well head up to the Firewire head office and test the lot of them over a weekend!

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
            about 165.. going to run the 5'10 for a while and maybe further down the road try the 5'9 if needed

Comment

• Goanna
              Goanna commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks kdropin.

G - I have the same size/model boards that you are currently riding. Me 6'. 185-190 lbs. I scored a 510 fst spit on a trade and couldnt be more stoked with it. My next move will be to sell either my pnator or spit to get a uni. I may also try to order a custom from dan mann directly. His shapes are magic for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
              about 165.. going to run the 5'10 for a while and maybe further down the road try the 5'9 if needed
              kdropin - bit of a loaded question but do you look back and think you should have got the 509?

Comment

Thanks to everyone, that's all great feedback - keep it coming!. I'm probably going to head up to the FW head office in Queensland and demo a weekend away.

Comment

Originally posted by madprof View Post
                  Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                  kdropin - bit of a loaded question but do you look back and think you should have got the 509?
                  no not yet anyways. i havent ridden it enough to make that decision yet. the 5'10 paddles great and i can still turn it without a problem.. only problems i've had on a very few waves when i was absolutely hauling on a shoulder high wave or two that i went to bury my rail and had a lil trouble on a couple... might have been my foot placement.. my feet were so numb at that point as well bc i ditched my boots and really couldn't feel for the kick... imo it blows the dom away that i had previously

Comment

Hey Goanna, I'm 80kg and 5'9ish. I got the 5'10 unibrow. If I had a dedicated groveller and was only using the uni in say shoulder plus then I could maybe push it and drop to the 5'9. As it is the 5'10 is great, doesn't feel oversized on more solid days, paddles around the lineup easy enough and gets into the wave well.

Comment

When compared to the Minidriver, the Unibrow will feel wider in the tail. The Minidriver's volume is more spread out with a thin tail. The Unibrow wil be a bit thicker all around, but will also paddle well and get you into waves easier.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• Goanna
                        Goanna commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Josh.

• Goanna
                        Goanna commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey Josh, I ride the 6'2" MD - what do you see as size to go to in the Unibrow to complement the MD? I'm 85-90kg and around 5'9

• Josh BL
                        Josh BL commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A comprable volume would be good then. Maybe something like a 601 Unibrow.

Had my Unibrow out today in weak period 3ft wedges...board rips..does real well in the pocket and snaps and releases with ease..ran k2.1s thruster

Comment

Working...
                      X