X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it for me...

Looking to replace 4 boards with a 1 board quiver, though just in the short term. Reason is I've been out of the water for 12 months and put on over 10kg. I was an inter/advanced surfer riding a 6' spitfire and a 6'6" DD flexfire. So now I'm 31, 6'3", and 100kg. Still fit, but buggered shoulders. Put a post in the spitfire section, and got referred to the unibrow. I surf 70% 2-3' average waves, 10% 1' crap, and 20% good quality 4-6' (1.5-2x OH). Is a 6'6" model about right? Will this board hold its own in hollow surf? Not dredging, but barrelling. Cheers

justo if you love the SF, you won't be disappointed with the Unibrow. Timmy Reyes said he loved and used the SF as a daily board but when the Unibrow came out...it is his new all around board now.

ALOHA!!

Comment

The Unibrow or Dominator are both great boards. The Unibrow will act more similarly to your SF. In smaller waves, the Dominator will outperform the Unibrow, but that is not to say you couldn't still catch some waves on the Unibrow. Unibrow is geared more towards a high-performance shortboard, whereas the Dominator is a hybrid. Seeing as you said you'll be riding in waves that are 3 feet or less about 80% of the time, you may find yourself with a higher wave count and more versatility with a Dominator as your one board quiver.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

so, from all accounts the unibrow seems like a sweet board. Although I'm 70% average waves, I'd still prefer a board that can take care of the larger stuff with ease.

Does 6'6" sounds about right for me? It'll be the biggest hybrid board I've owned, but this is also the heaviest I've been. haha!

thanks

Comment

also, i want to stay away from the Dominator. Although I love the spitfire, I want something that will hold it's own in slightly larger waves. Think North Point, Gas Bay, Injidup, 3 bears in the South West of Australia.

I've pretty much discounted the idea of a Chubby Chedda as it's only a thruster and i LOVE quads like you wouldn't believe, especially when the waves are around head height. I've ruled out the Mini Driver as it doesn't have enough volume.

Pretty much looky at the Uni right now, possibly the Hellfire.... decisions decisions... damn you firewire, why you make such good boards!!!! arrggghhh! and honestly, I've been riding firewires exclusively for years now. The customer support has been sensational. I creased my spitfire on my first surf and the level of help and assistance was amazing (this was under the OLD forum in 2010/11). I will only look at FW boards. Customer for life. I have noticed that the forums are much quieter than they used to be...

Comment

• Tescot
            Tescot commented
            Editing a comment
            That may have something to do with the forums going down for 2 months and then coming back up with a new format with only 1/2 of the features working... I'm still looking for the signatures to work again!

Justo there was a 6'6 Unibrow in the rack at Vidlers Cottesloe last week may still be there if you need to feel one up.

Comment

• justo
            justo commented
            Editing a comment
            cheers, I'll go suss that out... are they still going for around the $900 mark for FST and $750 for RF? Been out of the water for too long, and planning a few down south trips as well as an abrolhos islands trip early next year. Really need to get my skills back up!

justo a rounded pin is best for waves over head high IMO. you can probably push it to near 2x overhead before you need a step-up.
          Did you check out the volume calculator? http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...olume_calc.php you can get an idea of what size to get.

i'm 5'8, 175 lbs looking at 5'10 (30.2 L) Unibrow for everyday surf and for really good surf i would get a 5'9 (28.8 L).

ALOHA!!

Comment

I have a six board quiver and have ignored all boards since the arrival of a timbertek 6'6" Unibrow about 8 weeks ago. Surfed 2 to 6 foot and it works well as quad or thruster. timber tek looks great and so far not a dent - go on get one you won't regret it. Wide tail works in slop or gutless waves but fine rails and fin placement means no spin out in juice (and I tried and only got serious fin hum) - it is possibly the best board I have ridden in many years!

Comment

• justo
              justo commented
              Editing a comment
              if you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? I know the board formula says to get a 6'6" for me, but it just seems so massive! Especially coming off a 6' spitfire... I guess at my current weight i'd be on a 6'2" MAYBE a 6'4" spitfire....

when you say 2-6' do you mean knee to head high, or chest to 2x OH??

Definitely a Unibrow will cover your one board quiver needs. At 90kg and 47 yoa I use the 6'4" UB as my nearly one board quiver outside winter. It only drops off in winter as I put on more weight and my fitness drops. Even then I could probably still use it below 2x overhead and above knee high - I'm just a touch lazy. At 100kg I'm not sure if the 6'6" or the 6'8" would be the go. Your tender years suggest the 6'6" which is around 40 litres as I recall. If I was 100kg I reckon I'd be looking at a board with a touch more volume - I'm guessing around 43 litres. As I say though I'm 47 do you need to take that into account. For me for a surfer outside a wave rich zone like Hawaii the UB is the perfect daily driver. It's all but a one board quiver. It needs to be tiny to reach for something more floaty, and around that 2x overhead to reach for something more refined.

Comment

ugghh, this is too hard... I'm starting to think maybe a 6'4" is the way to go.....

I guess I"ll get my 6' SF in the water and see how I go for float... but I feel like around 38-39L will be my mark... Did the compare boards between the Min Driver and Unibrow and they look almost identical, just the MD has more volume under your chest....

Comment

Reply to JUSTO
                Jambo is 54 years old, weighs about 90kgs and surfs almost daily (except when I disappear to slide on the mountains of Japan) - hope that gives you a guide. I have been riding 6'8" and a thick wide 6'3" fish. I went to bottom volume according to chart and ordered 6'6". I saw the 6'8" recently at GC and it is too big. So if fit go to bottom range of calculator and go from there. I find that Firewire boards have a lot of foam so I dropped down. Boaed great so far on points and beach breaks - loose, fast and very responsive, up there with the best that I have ridden in 45 years!!!!!!!

Comment

Sweet. Thanks Jambo. Got to see a 6'2" mini driver today, so think maybe a 6'4" of either the uni or MD is going to be the go. So hard here as there's no where to test ride.

Comment

Justo,
                    Get the timber tek Unibrow - they look astounding and mine is as tough as an old boot. So far no dents on deck or cracks on glass sealed rails (about 14+ sessions and a few scrapes on rock jumps etc - no marks at all) and surfs beautifully. Only three boards available in TT and Unibrow is best of a great bunch. No testing on North Coast of NSW and I had to get surf shop to become retailer to get one. So a whim turned into a couple of months wait but it was worth it. Unibrow has very fine rails due to domed deck and so paddles like thick board but does not surf corky at all.
                    Only problem is the attention it gets slows me down when I am trying to squeeze an early in before work!

Comment

I reckon a 6'4" UB will be too small for a 100kg bloke, but we all have different preferences. If you're currently riding boards with that volume and enjoy it, ignore me. If not, I'd suggest a demo before purchase.

Comment

yeah, it's a tough one. it would be great if there was a 6'5" version!!! I need the volume right in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                        X