Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow & Me?

Hi All,

Iím an absolute beginning surfer that wants to spend time with his children (young surfers) in the water. We have the opportunity to surf close to the house but conditions are not always the greatest. Nevertheless, whenever time permits Iíd like to take the opportunity to get some water time in. My friends are surprised that as an old fellow, Iíve been catching waves from the get-go (albeit on a longer ĖfunĖ or relatively fat ĖfishĖ board in small to medium-sized waves). I love the water and look forward to have exciting fun with the kids, so my ambition is to up my surf skills over time. Would you think that the Unibrow is a good beginner's board allowing to surf a variety of waves and providing the opportunity to improve skill level over time? If itís a good choice, what size would you recommend? Iím 38 years old, about 65 kg, 175 cm small, and in okay shape.

Thanks!

I've not ridden a unibrow, but my line of thinking would be a dominator or potatonator. For the dominator something around the 5'8" range would be enough float, but are you a complete beginner? If you're struggling to get up at the moment, look at a 5'10" dominator or perhaps even look at the addvance model.

Comment

Justo, thanks for your advice! Getting up is not an issue. Iíve been able to do this consistently in very small to mid-sized waves while riding the wave out. Iím certainly not at the level of doing tricks but Iím keen to practice a lot when the season of better waves arrives in 3-4 months' time. Hence, my reasoning of purchasing a board I can grow into while enjoying smaller waves too. Iíll look into the boards youíre recommending. Would a Spitfire be comparable to the Dominator?

Comment

Flotsam a 7'6 Submoon or 6'6-6'10 Addvance would be better to learn with if you are a beginner. A Spitfire is not comparable to a Dom...it is more high performance. Definitely boards you will upgrade to once you get better. have fun!

ALOHA!!

Comment

I'd agree an Addvance at 6'6". Then transition to a UB. The best analogy I can draw is learning to drive in an F1 motor car; sure you could do it and grow into it, but it will make the learning process longer and more frustrating. Ride the Addvance for a year. Then sell it to find a UB. The transfer costs wouldn't exceed a few hundred dollars, probably less.

Comment

Hawaii-boi & Buzzy: thanks for the insight! This forum has really been helpful in getting an idea about what board to select as a beginner and how to ĖhopefullyĖ move forward at a later stage. I read some postings on the Addvance & it seems that the 6'6" would indeed be a good match.

Comment

Addvance is definitely the way to go as a beginner, I agree. You will catch more waves on that board, and as result, get better and have more fun than jumping straight to a performance hybrid.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Thanks for weighing in Josh!
                Would you also recommend a 6'6" over a 6'10" for a person that measures 5'9" and weighs about 145 lbs?

Comment

I weigh 180lbs and am beginner moving towards intermediate, I have the 6' 10" Addvance and I'm sure the 6' 6" would have been fine, so I'd say 6' 6" for sure.

The Addvance sounds like the best match for you.

Comment

• Bigblackdog
                    Bigblackdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Reserves, see from an earlier post that you had a 7s superfish. How did you find your Addvance in comparison to the 7s board?
                    I am thinking of an Addvance for slower days and perhaps the 7s should be an option as well.

Flotsam - Yes, a 606 will be good for you. Still plenty of volume, and with your ambition to improve your surfing (as you originally posted), you should be golden.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Reserves & Josh: thanks, what a great forum community!
                    What Futures fins would you recommend for me on the Addvance 606

Comment

I actually don't think the precise fins matter too much at this stage of the learning curve. A neutral mid size fin should be good. I'm not super across what that would look like in the Futures range.

Comment

Flotsam,
                        I use scarfini large (green) on same size board and got 5 so it is a quick job from 3 to 4 and back. You weigh a lot less than me so maybe small (red) or medium (blue) Less land time means more waves but I like a bigger fin if riding a floaty board.

Comment

Thanks for your input Jambo & Buzzy!
                          @ Jambo: so, five-fin sets are a thruster and quad setup in one?
                          Did anyone try the Seaworthy Controller fins on an Addvance (606)? If so, what are your thoughts on this quad setup?

Comment

I've ridden the Indo Fins controllers and didn't like them so much for my surfing.

Comment

Working...
                            X