X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 3-4 board quiver?

Hey guys I'm 165lbs at 5'9 from California. I own a 5'8 dom and have been confused on what boards to purchase for the upcoming year. Can you guys please help me out by recommending some good quiver examples. I surf anything from 1-2ft - a little overhead. I normally surf a point break and at times beach breaks. I'll be in Santa Barbara California . Helps appreciated! Thanks

I'd fill it in with a Baked or Sweet Potato for the smallest stuff and something more performance for the bigger stuff. Maybe an Alternator or HellRazor. If performance shortboards done really interest you, maybe a Unibrow. If you want to feel something different throw in a Vanguard or V4!

Comment

I would agree with Phil there get a baked for low end keep the Dom and add a mini driver for higher end. Then a semi gun sorted. I love my mini and don't have a Hpsb any more.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        I found the MD to surf a little flat. Maybe down to having less tail rocker than I'm used to plus the pulled in tail, but I couldn't surf it like a shortboard so well in the pocket. It seemed to prefer more wrapping turns.

• pmorgan
        pmorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know Phil I find the mini is vey easy to place where you want it. I have no problem keeping her in the pocket going vert. I run the K 2.1 with the nubster.

Shorter length helps I'm sure. Plus the k2.1s! My mate who has my old one is struggling with it too. It's not quite doing it for him either. I reckon it'll be up for sale soon...

Comment

I personally use my Dom as my "bottom end" board. Quite a few have a board below the Dom as an uber groveller. I don't think that's necessary. Another issue will be whether you want a semi gun or not. For my part I don't surf when it gets more than 3x overhead, so I don't need on of those. So for me the quiver is Dom for small waves. When really small I throw in quads and if there's enough power I can consistently drive turns I switch to a thruster set up. Then I have a daily driver, which in my case is a Unibrow. That covers the vast majority of wave range I encounter. If I throw a Dom and UB in the car blindly I'll almost certainly be covered. Then for good conditions I have a Q5 as my HPSB. I'd have that or an Alt; I now have a slight preference for the Q5 but I'd choose based on whichever model had the volume I wanted. Finally I have a "back up" board that can cover a wide range if one of the others is dinged. I use a Futura in that role.

Comment

Full overlap lap with the Dom and Spit. The tweaked tail design allows it to be surfed a little harder but the wave range is basically the same.

Comment

I would say that a uber groveller is a great wee board to have they are sooo much fun. You could just add a Michelle Bur for upper end. When I said simi gun I meant anything over 6,0 with a pin or rounded tail. If Brims of Thurso east is 3x over head you need a shit load bigger board and balls to match.

Comment

Yeah the MB is a great shape. I think the thick version would be a little too much board for you though. The 6'0 thin could be perfect. Or a 6'0 Alternator. They are similar in dimensions but the Alternator carries a little more width from the nose to the front fins and then the tail is pulled in with a slight bump in the outline. This will give it a nice pivot/release point. The Alternator has a more relaxed rocker too so would suit a less critical wave. The MB has a continuous curve in the outline, so it likes to hold a line through carves and it's increased rocker keeps the turning radius sharp. They both have a little more width than more typical shortboards so it makes them more versatile, but the MB will excel in steeper waves. The Alternator would lend it's self to everyday conditions better.

Comment

Just peddling back to this, on a computer where I may even be able to format (answer - no). I reckon there are a couple of ways you can structure a 3 board quiver, with some inbuilt variation depending on skill, fitness etc); 1. Uber groveller (Baked Potato, Sweet Potato or potatonatr). 2. Small wave board (this could be a Dom or Spit, or a more high performance iteration like a Chubby Chedda, Sub Scorcher, Hellfire or unibrow - depends how much of a charger you are). 3. High Performance Shortboard (Alt or Hellrazor or Spartan or Flexfire or Taj etc, again, the more HPSB versions of the HPSB will suit charging rippers, most should choose an Alt or Hellrazor). Another approach might be; 1. Small wave board/groveller (Dom or Spit or Chubby Chedda or UB etc). 2. High performance short board (as above). 3. Semi gun (longer Flexfire, firewire gun - forgot model name - or egads another brand). It is fair to say that in bigger offshore waves there is a case to be made for a heavier board. For the 4 board quiver you can choose both an uber groveller and a semi gun - no need for compromises. However, that assumes you need an uber groveller or semi gun. I don't find I need an uber groveller - I find my Dom grovels fine - and I don't surf in waves requiring a semi gun. So I go a different choice. I think for most people the most high performance board will also be the board used in the biggest waves, ergo a HPSB. If a person is coming off a Dom or Spit or similar board imho they should be looking at some of the less dramatic HPSB's - ALt, Q5 and Hellrazor.

Comment

• pmorgan
              pmorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Or mini driver :)

I'm looking for a 4 board quiver, allready get a 5'9 Hynson twinzer and a poly 6'4 round tail and have to close the gap....any suggestions?

Comment

Absolutely. A mini driver would be a good choice too. Indeed for the right surfer A Dom/MD would be a great 2 board quiver, or a Baked Potato/Dom/MD a great 3 board quiver (or something like that).

Comment

Working...
              X