X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad or Thruster?

I know this can be a tough subject as everyone has personal preferences, but in general what do you UB riders prefer, Quad or Thruster?

Either depending on the conditions. It's a very versatile board, but I tend to go for a thruster set up when the waves are better, quad on the weaker days.

Comment

there is so much built in speed with the unibrow i haven't felt the need to even try the quad

Comment

Thruster all the way on the UB.

Comment

Okay rode it as a quad in weak,soft H bay. Then rode it as a thruster at an east side beach break. So far, it seems the thruster set up is the call. Waves supposed to kick up a notch from the north west tomorrow. Let's see how it goes

Comment

Finally got to ride some perfect high performance waves in the chest to head high range. Rode my UB with Jordy (Large template) thruster setup. No complaints. Board worked great. Found that the sweet spot on this board is way back on the tail. My only bummer was coming in and finding a small pressure ding on the underside front of my board. I have no idea how this happened. Didnt hit anyone or anything (other than the lip) First pressure ding I got on any of my FST Firewire boards, but whatever. I guess the ice is broken. LOL

Comment

I rode the UB at the HB demo days last weekend. Chuy had it set up as a thruster. Coming from the Spitfire the UB felt funny to me while paddling. The proportions seemed funky to me. But as soon as I caught a good wave with some pocket I felt that sweet spot from the back foot. It's an interesting board. I may have to pull the trigger on a purchase...!

Comment

Yeah Lizardman. I had that same first initial feeling. Its the domed deck. Takes getting used too, but once you get your footing, the UB is a great board. Its all I ride on the smaller days here.

Comment

Hanaleisurfer, what size Uni did you get? How much do you weigh? I'm thinking of getting this board for the Winter juice to help with the extra moving water and the paddle needed to get out to the large breaks when it's 4-6 and bigger.
                  Thoughts? I'm currently on a 6'4 Hellfire but my arms almost fell off after an hour paddling around at a Sunset Cliffs reef break in San Diego today.

Comment

Aloha Waxer. I have a 6 4 Uni. Thats because im around 215 (Working hard to drop below 210 again) Dont think the Uni is a replacement for bigger surf. I use mine for head high and under. I have a 6 6 Hellfire which I think works great in bigger surf. Of course it depends on your weight and fitness.

Comment

I've been using my uni with a quad setup so far (2 days and counting...), and it absolutely flies! I'll try it in a thruster when the waves get bigger...

Comment

Working...
                      X