Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Sizing

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at the Uni for an all around board, but was wondering how this would handle a beach break like Colorados in Nicaragua? This is a fast, hollow beach break. I would say I'm intermediate level and I'm 5'11 183lbs with decent fitness level. I was looking at the 5'10 or 5'11 Uni, but will take any suggestions.

Thanks

I'm 90kg (about 200lbs) and 48 yoa, with around 35 years in the water but only moderate fitness. I love. LOVE my 6'4" UB. It's definitely one of the best boards I've owned. However, if I was exclusively surfing a really hollow wave I think I'd be tempted to look at a more refined HPSB. For me that would be the Alternator. For others that might be the Hellrazor or Taj or Flexfire or Bourez model. But all that depends on wave size. If it's hollow but consistently small I'd still choose the UB. If it's mid size or bigger though I'd look for something more refined. For me the UB works best in Bells style bowls from around waist high to 1.5x overhead. It WILL surf squared out hollow waves but it's more comfortable with an almond style tube/wave face. I'm not talking down the board. As I say, I love it. One of my best boards ever. Definitely the utility do anything board in my quiver. Unless there's a long run of small days it gets surfed way more than any other board I own. But it's not a Supertubos style board .

Comment

PS as for length I'm not sure on your age. If it was me at 185 I'd be on the 6'2". If I was 20 or 30 years younger I might be somewhere between 5'10" and 6'0". Then again if I was 30 years younger if probably be 175lbs.

Comment

• jmoney22
        jmoney22 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm 34 year old. For me, I think the 602 would be too much volume, but thanks for the info. I want to have this coordinated with a future Vanguard. So maybe 510 UNI and a 506 Vanguard. Not sure if that would be the correct spacing for the 2.

I'm 90kgs and 54 and I've just gone from a 6'6" Unibrow to a 6'8" Unibrow. Same thickness with slightly more volume. Why? Because I live on a northern NSW point break that is fast and often overcrowded. The board does not feel corky, paddles in smoothly and easily and rides extremely well. I did have concern over the 16" tail but this fear seems unfounded so far. The very low rails make the board feel smaller and it is fast and responsive. I would go hellrazor if serious top to bottom pits due to reduced nose and tail areas.

Comment

I think Buzzy hits it on the nose. For barrelling surf you might want a more HP shortboard,with a quad fin option. The UB is a fun board, but is more for open face point style waves.

Comment

I went to Colorados 2 years ago with a 6'3 Flexfire and a 5'10 Spitfire. That wave is hollow and rips down the line really fast at low tide. I couldn't get in and get going quick enough on the Flexfire so I switched the Spitfire which worked incredibly well. At high tide that wave is fat and the crowd goes away but the wave is still really good, and the Spitfire worked even better then. Having said that, I think that the Unibrow would work really well there because it's just a subtle step up from the Dominator/Spitfire. Be very very careful about riding this board too big. I'm 175lbs on a 5'8. My friend's 5'9 feels way too big. It's good for him because he's more of beginner. But if you go too big, you won't be able to propel yourself down the line as quickly as you'll need to.

Comment

You'll know what will work for you volume wise, and I think in that 5'10" to 6'0" range would be fine at your weight and age. Bearing in mind Kelly Slater would be on the 5'9" if he was your weight I'd suggest us mere mortals would be looking at the 5'11" or 6'0" (or 6'2" if you're my age), but if you feel the 5'10" will work for you then go for it. At a hollow break you'll need less volume anyway. Indeed, if I was consistently surfing a hollow wave on the UB I could get away with a 6'2" easy. Have I mentioned I love the UB?

Comment

I'm 6.1" 37 years and 175 -180 lbs, just had my 5.9 delivered yesterday, and its EXACTLY what i was looking for to replace my dom, i would go 5.9, 5.10 tops if i was you, there 2 litres difference between the two, but the 5.9 was catching waves better than my dom unbelievably yesterday!

Comment

I'm also looking for some Unibrow sizing advice. Currently, I've got a 6'2" Dominator-shaped board. It's the same specs, but made by a local shaper. Also, I've got a beautiful 5'7" Timbertek Baked Potato. I'd say I'm at an intermediate level, but looking to improve...aren't we all, hey? I want a board that is a bit more refined than my fake DM as I feel it's a bit too big for me. I'm looking for a board to use when the waves are head-high and over. The Uni looks great from everything I've read, and I was thinking of a 5'10". I'm 34, 6ft and in decent shape. Does a 5'10" sound about right? Thanks in advance!
                Last edited by Goodfish; 12-11-2013, 04:37 AM.

Comment

It's a little hard to say without knowing your weight, but I surf a UB at the same length as my Dom. That works perfectly. So given the 6'2" fake Dom is too big you'd be looking at a 6'1" or 6'0" UB. It'd be much better to know your weight though.

Comment

Sorry, I thought I put that in! I'm 77kg...

Comment

i'd personally go for the 5.9 (which i did :-) ) or the 5.10 wouldn't go higher than that

Comment

OK, thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I'd rather have a board with less volume that I can aspire to than a bigger board that feels too chunky too quickly. Any recommendations on whether to choose Timbertek or FST? I've got a 5'7" Baked Potato in Timbertek that I love, but I was thinking I should mix things up a bit and go for FST.

Comment

if they would have had a timbertek in my size i would have bought it only because i wanted to try one as all my other firewires are fst and i think they look sooo nice. Upto you bud i think they both ride the same don't they?

Comment

My vote is FST for bigger stuff, TT for small waves. TT is lighter and a little bit more lively feeling where as FST's slight added weight and more dampened feel make it a bit more controlled in bigger conditions.
                            That's just my view though, for instance I know core likes his RFs in everything even though they are as light and even quicker response than TT.

Comment

Working...
                            X