Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, thanks for the info, guys. I was leaning towards FST anyway, and the main reason I want a Unibrow is for when the waves are better here or if I go on a trip. I've got my 5'7" Baked Potato and 6'2" fake DM for smaller days.

Onshoreandmessy, how long have you been surfing? I bodyboarded most of my life, started riding a minimal last summer, and only stepped up to 5'7" Baked Potato and 6'2" fake DM in July. Admittedly, my progress was helped by spending a month surfing 5 hours everyday in Bali in the summer. The waves are pretty consistent here in Taiwan, but I'm worried a 5'9" will be too small for me and I won't be able to catch any waves. However, at the same time I want a board that I can progress into and keep for the long term. I'm already thinking the 5'7" Baked Potato and 6'2" fake DM are a bit too big...

So do you think the 5'10" will give me what I'm looking for?
    Last edited by Goodfish; 11-29-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Goodfish I agree with you that you should mix it up. You already have a TT so try FST or RF and see what you like. You can't really go wrong with either. I love FSTs, but lately all I've been riding is my VG in RF and I love it.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Sounds good, but I can't get in touch with the Firewire rep in Taiwan at the moment. Any ideas?

Comment

Thanks, Josh. The ball is rolling...

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfish View Post
            OK, thanks for the info, guys. I was leaning towards FST anyway, and the main reason I want a Unibrow is for when the waves are better here or if I go on a trip. I've got my 5'7" Baked Potato and 6'2" fake DM for smaller days. Onshoreandmessy, how long have you been surfing? I bodyboarded most of my life, started riding a minimal last summer, and only stepped up to 5'7" Baked Potato and 6'2" fake DM in July. Admittedly, my progress was helped by spending a month surfing 5 hours everyday in Bali in the summer. The waves are pretty consistent here in Taiwan, but I'm worried a 5'9" will be too small for me and I won't be able to catch any waves. However, at the same time I want a board that I can progress into and keep for the long term. I'm already thinking the 5'7" Baked Potato and 6'2" fake DM are a bit too big... So do you think the 5'10" will give me what I'm looking for?
            Been surfing for over a decade every day there is a wave, maybe the 5.9 may be a little too low volume for you then, I'd want to be comfortable on a 5.8 ish dominator before getting a 5.9 uni. The problem Is once you progress u might find the bigger size holds u back, but the 5.10 looks like a good compromise, only you know how good u are, I'd personally get the 5.9 and deal with it, I hated the Dom for first couple of surfs, but once used to it, best board ever. There's nothing worse than buying a new board and honking its too big. You can always progress on a too small board and bring your skill level up to the board.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've gone ahead and ordered a 5'10" Unibrow. Just have to wait about a month and a half now. Based on me being 34 years old and in excellent fitness, the volume calculator was recommending a 6'2" for weaker waves, and no Unibrow option for better waves, so I hope the 5'10" will fit.

What kind of board bag is the best fit for a Unibrow? A hybrid option or a shortboard shape? I've got a 6' FCS Fish/Funboard Explorer bag for my Baked Potato, but I think it'll leave a lot of room with the Uni in it.
              Last edited by Goodfish; 12-11-2013, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onshoreandmessy View Post
                Been surfing for over a decade every day there is a wave, maybe the 5.9 may be a little too low volume for you then, I'd want to be comfortable on a 5.8 ish dominator before getting a 5.9 uni. The problem Is once you progress u might find the bigger size holds u back, but the 5.10 looks like a good compromise, only you know how good u are, I'd personally get the 5.9 and deal with it, I hated the Dom for first couple of surfs, but once used to it, best board ever. There's nothing worse than buying a new board and honking its too big. You can always progress on a too small board and bring your skill level up to the board.
                OK, I had a sudden panic last night, and I changed my order to a 5'9" due to your advice. I don't want to pay all that cash, and feel that I got a board that's too big too quickly. Like you said, it's better to progress on a smaller board and bring my skills up to the level required. Hope I made the right decision! Thanks again!

Comment

OK, so I finally got my 5'9" Unibrow this weekend, and I've just had my first surf on it...WOW! What a board! It was about shoulder-high and a bit fat, but the board absolutely flew! I set it up as a quad 'cos the waves were small, but it was still super easy to turn (compared to my 5'7" Baked Potato). It was a dream to paddle, and I really think I've found my dream board! The waves should be getting good around Thursday, so I can't wait to test in a thruster setup, too! Big thanks to onshoreandmessy for convincing me to get a 5'9"! It's perfect!

Comment

Hi guys I am going for a Unibrow, but not quite sure on the sizing as i am not use to that kind of width. I am 34 yo, 6'2, and between 190/200 pds. I have been surfing regularly for 20 years so i guess between intermediate and advanced.i usually surf 6'3 epoxy with 33 liters of volume. I am debating between 6'1 and 6'2; it's a mild difference but i don't want too much volume that would stop me from digging the rail when needed. I think getting a 6' with my weight would reduce her qualities in crap surf. I am also debating between FST and Timber tek. For what i understood FST last longer but gets a bit yellowy, while timbertek are sometimes glassed lightly. All in all, i think i would choose Timbertek if i can be sure that they are glassed with enough resin. Please let me know your thoughts. Cheers Gaultier

Comment

I ride a 6'4" @200lbs and 48 years old. Take off that decade and a bit and the 6'2" is what I would personally choose. As for FST or TT I'd probably go FST for known durability and performance. My next Dom though will almost certainly be TT.

Comment

Working...
                      X