X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 5.9 UNI arrived :-) Boooom!

So i finally had my 5.9 UNI delivered yesterday at 1pm, after the first arriving damaged grrrr. First thing you notice in the nose has been pulled in loads compared to the dom with a little more rocker up front and the tail is exaclty what i wanted almost 40% thinner so hopefully no more sliding out! So i quickly set about getting the deck grip on and raced down the beach by 2pm to be met by nice solid 3 ft light onshore beach break (head high). Now for the past two years my main board has been a 5.8 DOM with around 31 litres, (i do ride 27 litres in my FF) so decided to go with the 28.8 litres of the uni. i was apprehensive that the 2 litre drop may effect it paddling ability, but i needn't of worried, if its possible i thought it caught waves better than the dom, even though there is no reason why it should! its crazy! First cutback you can tell those rails have been refined, probably 30% + better turning than the dom, still retained speed down the line though, i think it may have lost a little bit of speed, but to be honest the dom was too fast when it got size on the wave, i spent most my time trying in vain to scrub off speed when it was powerful and overhead. Taking off felt better with the new nose design, there was a left that had a bit of a lump in front of it on take off and the nose started to bury, but sort of pulled itself out of it, where the dom would have dived and ive of had a "periscopes up" moment.

the uni feels like a natural progression to the dom, it catches waves just as well, if not better. It turns better, it has more hold, yet still feels like your trusty DOM warhorse. I dont know if it will grovel yet like the dom, only time will tell, but its been a long time since i bought a board and instantly loved it.

If you ride a dom and your looking for that little bit extra, i highly recommend this board, its awesome. Get it as short as possible, the difference in 1" in length is huge in firewires i find.

I am 37 years 6.1" 175 -180 lbs, very fit and surf everyday there's a wave, mostly crappy beach breaks which are predominantly onshore

That's awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Thanks Onshore. I've got a spanking 5'10" waiting for me once I get over shoulder tendonitis. Did you ride it as a FCS thruster, I've got K2.1's in?

Comment

Awesome review 'Onshore'! I am digging how you say that the Uni paddles really well. I have been looking at swapping my 5'8 Chedda @ 26.8 litres, for the 5'8 Uni @ 27.5 litres for a bit of extra volume. My only concern about the Uni was the narrow nose, and thinking that the board might not paddle that well. I am about 25 pounds lighter than yourself so I am thinking the Uni in a 5'8 will paddle me well.

Comment

please please don't take this as being snarky; everyone has their own opinions of boards. some just work for you, some don't- but the guy who bought it off craigslist from you does! let me start with saying i love my Unibrow. it's my everyday go to in Northern California. but in my experience it absolutely doesn't paddle as well as my Dom. the Dom has more nose volume, less rocker and less overall rail curve (more stable). my 5'10 Uni paddles slightly worse than my 5'10 Sub scorcher, which has 1.2L less volume, but flatter rocker and more nose- and about the same as my 6'0 Flyer (29.5L). the board straight rocks, but I wouldn't call it a great paddler relative to other "progressive hybrids" in my quiver. again, everyone has their personal preference...it's like Yelp, that's why they average all the ratings together.

Comment

Possibly the adrenalin rush of the new board. Regardless I'm with onshoreandmessy (what an awful name unless irony is at play) as Unibrow (another awful name) is one off the best boards I have ever ridden.

Comment

Hey Jambo, how do you rate the paddling of the Unibrow?

Comment

Not a problem. However, I feel the general performance hybrids (I've got a spitfire and a unibrow) like to be paddled a little forward of usual. I borrowed a Dominator before buying any Firewires and found it the same. The light weight can cause problems in choppy conditions. I am riding volumes around 42 litres so they paddle fine. Narrower nose on unibrow means less pushing water and it is thick but has fine rails. I prefer to paddle into suckier wave on unibrow - it feels faster than same volume spitfire but that is only my impression. Others have said my unibrow surfs faster which I think may be true. I also think a fast paddler is faster across wave as it carries momentum into wave from the paddle. This only really operates up to about 3-4' then wave's power determines speed. It might even be lower profile of rail cutting through chop, so less bounce equals easier and smoother paddle. These are only ideas as paddling is what it is, a chore getting out and several quick strokes to get going.

Comment

I find the Dom paddles better than the UB, but the UB paddles fine. Obviously in particularly small waves the Dom is "faster" than a UB, but once the UB is up and running its fast and responsive. Both great boards and an easy transition one to another.

Comment

UPDATE! Does it grovel, hell yeah! had a weak swell push through yesterday, just over waist to shoulder high, but no guts to it. I had no issues catching waves at all, had plenty of speed and drive at all times, turns where still a doddle, im impressed :-)

As far as me getting slated for saying it paddles as well as the dom, i can't work out why, maybe it is that new board feeling. But i have had no less waves over the past couple of days than i would had on the dom, and as someone said, the pulled in nose gets through the chop better and i am surfing onshore waves with a lot of chop on the surface, that could be it. I havent had a chance to test on a clean day, but then maybe the difference will become apparent.

I am riding a quad at the moment with sf4's, and will do until we get bigger swell head high + then will give the K1.2 thrusters a go.

Comment

Could be picking up waves more easily due to sitting lower in the water more into the wave's energy rather than floating on the surface and the wave passing underneath. My lowest volume board catches waves stupidly easy.

Comment

The Unibrow I ride is 2 7/8" thick but you wouldn't know it due to fine rails. I found the Baked Potato slow to catch waves and spitfire fine but Unibrow allows me to sit out and catch early. I have never found wide nosed fishes fun to ride. My little secret spot (ha ha) is quite quick and has a fair degree of side wash and chop so getting in early is necessary to make the wave let alone beat the hungry crew waiting to drop in if you look like not getting there. I prefer the spitfire on the beaches and unibrow elsewhere. I haven't ridden anything smaller than 6'8" for years until 6'4" spitfire and 6'6" Unibrow now I've gone for a 6'8" unibrow - I think I just like watching that pointy nose doing its thing and letting my old brain know it is time to rise to my feet. IF YOU FEEL IT PADDLES BETTER THEN IT DOES!!!!! DO NOT FEEL SLATED - SURFING IS YOU, YOUR BOARD AND THE WAVE! No need for video etc blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Surfed a slab on the uni last week, 1.5 times overhead on the sets, big thick barrels. This is an offshore reef that didnt look that big through binoculars, so i took the uni instead of my flexfire, but when we got there it was pumping, and to be honest i was crapping myself that i was on the uni as its a big sucky takeoff under the lip detonating into like 2 ft of water. I needn't of worried as it went well had a fair few barrels, the best of my life in fact. I was just surprised that it could handle such a wave and thought id let you guys know, yes it can :-) could maybe have done with a bit more rocker in the nose but i didnt really think it was missing anything, had good wave catching ability, picked a nice line, had plenty of hold, and shed loads of speed.

Comment

Onshoeandmessy, my UB is about a foot longer than yours and catches waves so easily that it gives this old bastard time to scramble to my feet before the crew get a look in. Wednesday I spent sitting out with some mal riders on a well known POINT and was picking them up 5 metres before those still thinking that their last name is Slater. Yet it surfs beautifully - doesn't flap around, goes exactly were you point it, comes off the top and floats across white water. The board is very stable even on a chopped up face. The unibrow is up there with the best boards I have ridden from Greg Webber, Rod Dahlberg, Paul Mitchell and Simon Anderson over the last 45 years. I can't call it the best as my ability is now slipping - as the back stiffens - so I can't push it as hard as I could. My gut feeling is it is the best simply due to the speed it generates and ease with which it completes any turn out on the fat shoulder or high in the power pocket and that it always seems to have some juice on tap. In really tiny waves the length causes a little problem. But really in gutless 1-2foot you really should go for a mal or fish! A timber tek submoon is due to turn up shortly so I'll be covered for all days except when on shore and messy (sorry couldn't resist that)!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, the UB is undoubtedly my current all round favourite, and one of my favourites ever. Probably unsurprisingly what I like about it is it's neutrality. With a simple planshape and thruster set up it's just super predictable. It's also an easy transition from the Dom, being the same length and similar planshape. With those two boards I have 80-90% of days covered.

Comment

Working...
                              X