X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle power

Hi, I am interested in getting a new firewire high performance board or performance hybrid (42 yrs old, 6', 205, 25 years surfing, pretty fit, surf mostly beachbreaks) and I need help with the boards that paddle the best out of those ranges. I surf great, but a boards paddle ability often reduces me into struggling to get waves. I owned a 603 el fuego that paddled far better than a 602 Dom and spitfire, but I am trying to shift to a more high performance board while paddling well. What do you recommend?

is that you gary.. as in NSB etc??..

Comment

I would also be interested on which boards in the high performance and performance range paddle good?

There is obviously a lot of factors that influence how a board will paddle, width, length, rocker, volume but sometimes boards you think will paddle good aren't that great for example my 5,10 hellfire 29.4L doesn't paddle as good as i would expect, my 6, Mayhem stealth 30.5L is pretty average to paddle (guess the tail rocker doesn't help?) ,my 5,3 baked potato 32.4 paddles better, but surprisingly my 6,3 flexfire, 28.2L paddles perhaps the best of all my FW boards, but has the least amount of volume and most rocker of all my FW boards, i guess its just that its narrow and longer.

I think a big factor in a board paddling well is how much foam is in the front half of the board (under you chest), either from longer boards or boards with wide points further forward. (combined with other factors)

From what ive seen im expecting the mini driver and pile driver to be good paddlers???

And expect the V4 for its length to paddle good???
      Last edited by indodreaming; 01-05-2014, 12:40 AM.

Comment

indo, yeah the flexy paddles well because its all under your chest...and rocker can help in chop sometimes too...and the sleek nose outline doesn't push too much water...my thicker 602 (now 2x 301's) paddled similar to the HF 510... the 510v4 is a similar but maybe harder paddle than the 510 HF.. mainly because of the lower surface area/narrow outline...and a harder paddle than the equivalent 506 VG.. especially in chop when you miss that beautiful vg nose to glide over under or thru with ease...the ALT and MB are your paddlers in the full hp's... although i'm out surfing and out paddling myself on the VG these days... (Raz, whens the new ones coming in, i'm hangin'!!).. unbelievable board

garryandemily, the alternator is a solid well tested conventional full performance board that is also user friendly.. full outline and rails and a moderate rocker... its big brother would be the MB which adds more rocker (amongst other things)... to stay on familiar equipment you could look at the hellfire or hellrazor
        Last edited by core personal training; 01-05-2014, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Cheers, good to get some feedback on this topic.

So the vanguard doesn't paddle to bad then?

Comment

Interesting topic as I am always looking for paddle power as a must in prospective boards and it seems as some people are surprised by which models paddle well vs others.

I'm thinking about buying a Unibrow as a daily driver for a wide range (waist-head high+), mostly beach break around San Francisco. I was just in Santa Cruz and talking to a firewire dealer there he said the Unibrow was their best seller, super popular for surfing the crowded point-breaks in town like Pleasure Point. He also said the FW guy in San Francisco told him at the Ocean Beach demo the most popular board was the Unibrow but I wasn't sure how the Unibrow paddled for a beach break like Ocean Beach SF (strong currents/rips/often choppy and windy). Anyone ride a Unibrow in similar conditions? Similar boards that paddle exceptionally well?

Comment

Hey SF I love my Unibrow it paddles great and seems just to go strataight through chop. Was out on the weekend in strong offshore winds and sweep at Kirra and it just ate it up. My all time favourite board and my daily driver, I was suprised how well it grovells

Comment

thanks 50young! Glad to hear you found your all time board!

Comment

Could not agree more with 50young - my 6'8" paddles into waves long before the crowd - low rails mean that thickness isn't resisting a turn. Less nose means that you are not pushing water or catching rails coming off the top of wave. Love the double concave and it works as thruster (my favourite) or quad (very fast) - so I stick to 3 in the good swells on points and 4 for swooping and diving on beach breaks. But it can also work well in 2 foot!!! One board quiver then Unibrow is a safe option - but go big - I am on upper limit according to volume and it is not corky at all.

Comment

Its interesting that your flexfire would paddle better than your other boards, especially the baked potato.

I represent the barrel chested folk - for example, I have no problem getting into the bottom half of a chest zip wetsuit but I can't zip the top half of the suit - I always buy a back zip. Maybe I carry more weight in the chest area which leads to my board sinking a little more than others when I paddle - no problem killing it once I stand. I can surf 30 days straight and have a harder time getting into waves than my flyweight buddies who surf a few times a month.

Anyway - that's my dilemma and why I am trying to figure out which high performance/ performance hybrids work best if I want to upgrade to a high performance board.

I have tried a few firewires and here is my paddle ratings - 5 star being best

508 Sweet Potato - 5 star
                    509 Baked Potato - 5 star
                    603 El Fuego - 4 star
                    602 and 604 Dominator - 3 star
                    602 Spitfire 3 star
                    604 Hellfire - 2 Star

Typing this out made me think that a great service firewire could give their customers would be to rate a boards paddle ability. It means a lot to guys built similar to me.

Comment

I think that if you enjoyed the paddle power of potatoes then your choice of hybrids seem a little small in terms of volume. I had 5'9" Baked Potato - paddled well but not my type of ride - as well as 6'4" Spitfire and 6'8" Unibrow. All similar volumes - but the Unibrow is the best paddler both from beach and into waves of all three. The thinner nose helps as does lower rail profile.
                      Although paddling well I thought the Baked Potato felt slow onto the wave - the wave seemed to roll under the board or in late drops it simply hung in the lip. Anyway I am a fan of volume in boards.

Comment

I just think there needs to be enough volume to support you when paddling. That volume depends on weight and surf fitness. After that what paddles best is context specific, with the "context" being the wave. My 6'4" Dom paddles best in knee/waist high waves no contest. But get it in head high plus, particularly sucky waves, and you start risking nose dives. So my UB or Q5 come into play. While both those boards have less volume as wave power increases you need less volume to lift you and get you planing. At some point in the size spectrum increased volume becomes important again, but I don't surf at those sizes.

Comment

Further to Buzzy's last point i would say that in riding bigger waves the increased volume becomes important along with board length (for mortals, not Kellys) That extra volume is distributed along a greater length to give you the extra glide needed to paddle into much faster moving waves. (or paddle over them if needed) The shorter the board, the quicker it slows between each stroke.

Comment

I could not agree more with the two previous posts. Volume does not equal paddle power in the context of catching waves - there is a relationship. So it would be difficult to rate a board's paddling power in all contexts for all prospective riders.

Comment

If I was comfortable on a 603 El Fuego at 39.8L do you think I would be fine on a 606 Alternator at 36L? The Alt seems like it would be the best fit to go high performance with while still retaining the paddle - If Indo was saying his flexfire may be the best paddler he has I would think the Alt would be an even better fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X