X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow vs hashtag

The outline of these boards seems so similar. An equally volumed uni is a bit shorter than the hashtag, but aside from that what is the difference in performance and ideal wave type/size?

I was looking at the website today and asked myself the same question. The tail on the HashTag looks narrower and the wide point looks a bit more forward. So I was thinking that maybe it can cover a bigger/punchier wave, but then the description talks about the lowered the rocker.

I've been loving my Unibrow lately in this latest head-high-and-half swell. But I can't really handle the first turn. I'm just holding on to get down the line a bit, and then the board opens up. I was thinking about how nice it would be have the exact same board but just a bit narrower.

Comment

The Hashtag, compared to the Unibrow, is much more refined. There is a nice thickness underfoot but that volume tapers towards the rail. This makes the Hashtag way more sensitive. It also has a little more nose and tail rocker along with a step in the rail. Overall, the Hashtag has a sharper turning radius, higher performance, and a tendency to like slightly better waves.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Without actually seeing one yet and going of Josh BL's description I can imagine the Hashtag would be a great next board up from the Unibrow when waves get more critical - much the same way the MD is
        Last edited by Goanna; 01-29-2014, 02:58 AM.

Comment

I like that description Josh. Thanks.

Comment

yet nev lists it as a waist to oh board..... unibrow is listed as a chest to oh board.. i like the look of the hashtag

Comment

The Hashtag doesn't appear in the choices for board compare yet - hopefully soon they will put it up so we can get a better look at the dims. I want to find one in a shop to check one out, but none in stock anywhere. I wouldn't want to order one blindly online without at least seeing one first. Also what sort of stepped down rail does it have? Is there another board with similar step down rails that I could look at to get an idea?

Comment

Had a chance to size up both of these in the shop Everyone's description here seems spot on and they both look like sick boards. As Chris also advised in another post the Uni has touch more hybrid DNA than the # . The # looks a lot more refined and looks like it would be the goods in better waves. For some reason the # felt really light for a 28.8 litres but I guess that's without fins and wax. The Uni looks like it would be good in quick beachies or onshore slop but I don't think you could go wrong with either of these boards.

Comment

The # has a nice flip in the nose as well. Good for sucky late take offs. Really noticeable lining it up next to the Uni.

Comment

Awesome. It sounds pretty slick. I have tried a 5'8 Uni and enjoyed it. Though it was really small fat waves. I would probably look at getting a 5'9 Hashtag. The refinedness of it might better suit one of my favourite local beach breaks that has wedgy A frame waves - pitching, hollow and steep. I currently surf a 5'9 19 3/4 2 1/2 self shaped board there with soft rails. It goes well on smaller days. But it often slides out. On larger days I take a 6'3 18 1/2 2 5/16 Chilli which is pretty rad and I can't fault it. I picked it up 2nd hand. It's super refined and light. The guy I bought it off said he bought it off a guy that had it made custom. Yet neither of them could use it because they felt it was too thin. But I reckon it's perfect - except I prefer a shorter board.

Comment

Danexile,I think you are hitting the no on the head by targeting the #. it definitely will get into the waves you are describing and give you that hold when the waves are steeper. Great bite as well allowing you to gaff a steep and open face without sliding out.

Comment

Working...
                      X