Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow as a next step up from a Hellfire?

5'11 215 lbs 43 advanced I posted in "hellfire" section but the question is more about the UB, 6'6" as a step up to a 6'4 Hellfire? Rode 6'4 Hellfire in everything for over a year, freekin love it but..... Last four months been riding a 6'4 SF as a grovel and day to day up to 4.5 ft backs. Have a semi tweaked knee and have to surf with a CTI brace last 4 months, which gets in the way almost more with paddling ( brace makes right leg lay 1 1/2 in higher = lopsided ) just really digging the 41L, even though the nose feels big sometimes taking off late. Just want a little more than 36.7 L for the larger days for shifty beachbreak 4-6 ft backs, wearing a full suit, knee brace, during long period lined up juice and 100 yard rips. What do you guys think about the UB as a next step up? PS not talkin about real step up 6'8+ just baby step:) MAHALOS!!!

Aloha Chanceum
    For me I think the Unibrow is not really a step up, especially compared to the Hellfire. The Hellfire seems to have a greater top end range. The UB is like a "souped up" Dominator. Use my UB in the Head high and under zone.

Comment

Howzit Hanalei, hope your enjoying some good waves!?! Scored fun surf in Kauai Oct-Nov. Is your UB the same size as your HF? I was considering getting a 6'6" UB to replace my 6'4 HF in overhead surf just until I can shed the thick wetsuit and knee brace. I haven't handled a UB but for some reason thought the rails were a little sharper than the HF. That and a little longer rail would just give it a slight edge.. Ha so many theories!!!

Comment

I reckon an Alternator would be a better step up from a Hellfire (or a Unibrow). A super nice forgiving traditional Shortboard.

Comment

Alt doesn't get up to 39 L until a 6'8 just a hair much for the next baby step from a 6'4, but a great next option- thanks Buzzy!

Comment

I'd still keep it mind. My original 2 board FireWire quiver was a 6'4" Dom and a 6' 8" Alt and they were a perfect combo. I had no "transition" issues between the two boards. Of course you need to be 100% comfortable with your choice but a board like the Alt definitely fits your needs. A Hellrazor is another option and indeed because of its lineage to the Hellfire might be the better pick. Also, I don't think you necessarily need to go up in volume for a step up. Provided your hybrid is the right volume the same volume will be great in cleaner , more powerful lined up surf. The step up at this modest level is about refinement on the wave , not paddle power. So if you're on a 6'4" Hellfire at 36 litres a 6'6" Alt or 6'7" Hellrazor at similar volumes will be fine.

Comment

Sorry , just re-read your original post. Ditch all my comments about a. 6'6" Alt or 6'7" HR. You're basically looking for a step up from the Spitfire, correct? Well, IMHO that's either a 6'6" Hellfire, a 6'6" UB, a 6'8" Alt or a 6'9" HR. I wouldn't rule out the latter boards just because they're 4 or 5 inches longer than your current board. You really won't notice much difference. If it was me I'd be picking the 6' 9" HR given you love the Spitfire, as it offers more differentiation. Because you're travelling faster on bigger waves you get up and planing more quickly and you don't need to rely on width as much to add stability. Finally, bear in mind bigger ex pros like Luke Egan are riding standard boards around that 6'5" mark.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the 6'6" uni for similar volume to the spit, yet similar to the HF. I'm not ditching the 6'4 HF, just for now, just kinda digging the extra for a thick suit and stupid knee brace and a little extra paddling for crowded walled beach breaks with 100yd rips. Thank you Buzzy! re. Luke, exactly! If Firewire had an equally volumed smaller board than 6'6 would be ALL over it!

Comment

Aloha Chance um I have a 6 4 UB and a 6 6 Hellfire. I agree with Buzzy. I have a 6 8 alternator and its my step up board. To me its a true shortboard and not a hybrid like the other boards. How heavy are you? im 215 an the 6 4 is plenty paddle power for me.

Comment

I'm 215 right now. Without out a 4/3 and stupid knee brace my 6'4 36.7L Hellfire is just fine. Looking for a small step up with similar volume to my 6'4 SF, for when there's a lot of water moving semi heavy beach break scenario, with a 4/3 wetsuit and big ol knee race, so thinking 6'6 UB.

Comment

Im the same weight. The 6 6 UB would be plenty float, but to me the Hellfire can handle bigger surf than the UB.

Comment

Cool, thanks! I'll be back on my 6'4 Hellfire RF when I shed all the gear. Finally got to Firewire last Thursday, figures surf would go flat. Yeah the 6'4 UB felt more like "my" board, but the TT 6'6"UNI seemed better for the next few months, so thats what I got. The new TT is WAY nice and smooth compared to the techno grain. And WAY lighter than the FST! The 6'6" UB in FST felt way too big, but for some reason the TT didn't seem sooo bulky even though that makes no sense. Waiting on a Wave Tribe cork tailpad in the mail and it's on! Stoked, mucho mahalos for your imput!

Comment

Finally had my first session on the 6'6" Unibrow. Fun 4ft+ (backs) hollow beach break. I got the 6'6 just for a little extra meat to paddle against the current, while wearing a thick suit and a bulky knee brace for Winter. Hadn't surfed in two weeks and was pretty anxious. Just feelin a little fat 215, and old 43, comin off injuries, including an ACL reconstruction. Have a 6'4 Hellfire which is fine in trunks, even big at 36.7L . But been riding a 6'4 Spitfire, mostly just to keep stoked. Was really worried went overboard, with the 6'6, literally. Nope, board was an absolute dream! No adjustment issues, whatsoever. Maybe I lucked out but feet just ended up exactly where they should be, weird. Just felt solid, balanced, loose, predictable, and most of all not too bulky! The meat really IS hidden. I really like the weight of the TT as opposed to the FST, as I've been riding extra light custom glassing forever, and HATE stock surfboard weight. Maybe cuz it's bigger, maybe the tail, maybe cuz I went back to AM tri from simon Quad on SF, I dunno... I feel confident on the 6'6 UB that it will easily handle more that today without a hitch, we'll see- and will honestly pass on the info. I just didn't want a bigger HF cuz I love mine and didn't want basically the same volume in the UB, but had to have one- hope u guys understand as I value your experience with FW boards. MAHALOS!

Comment

These Wave Tribe cork tail pads are killer! Third winter on my Hellfire with no peeling. Not embarrassed to say I got wood...

Comment

Working...
                            X