Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow for a trip to Mentawais

G'day all

I'm taking the plunge and heading to the Mentawais in June for a week to take some snaps, surf and relax. Having only started surfing 18months I know the trip will be a big challenge for my ability but nevertheless i'm going! I'm looking for recommendations for board/s to take over - I'm 34 years old, average/above average fitness, 85kgs, and 6'2"

The Unibrow looks like a great, versatile board which would suit the conditions there and my ability - i am looking at the 6'6" model. What are you thoughts?

I am same weight and rode same board at a very fast point break in northern NSW and it worked very well despite its fat arse. Take a five fin set so you can quad or tri as conditions dictate and enjoy!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input Jambo!

Comment

Hey digga, I've been a bodyboarder most of my life, but started on a minimal about 18 months ago. I got a 6'2" fake Dominator and a 5'7" TT Baked Potato last summer, but they both already feel too big, so I'm selling them. About a month ago I got a 5'9" Unibrow. Surfed it between shoulder-high to nearly double overhead at a local river mouth during this last month. It's easy to paddle and absolutely flies. I'm also 34, 6ft, good fitness and 76kg, and I would say that a 6'6" is gonna quickly feel wayyyyyy too chunky for ya! No way do you want to go that big. I was worried that a 5'9" would be too low in volume for me, but it's not the case. I'd say go with anything from a 5'10" to a 6', but don't go over that! It's an expensive board to grow out of too soon. The waves in the Mentawai Islands will be powerful and perfect, so you won't need much board to get going. Have a think about it, but definitely not a 6'6"!
        Last edited by Goodfish; 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I'd say 6'2" at 85kg. 6' 0" if surf fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfish View Post
            Hey digga, I've been a bodyboarder most of my life, but started on a minimal about 18 months ago. I got a 6'2" fake Dominator and a 5'7" TT Baked Potato last summer, but they both already feel too big, so I'm selling them. About a month ago I got a 5'9" Unibrow. Surfed it between shoulder-high to nearly double overhead at a local river mouth during this last month. It's easy to paddle and absolutely flies. I'm also 34, 6ft, good fitness and 76kg, and I would say that a 6'6" is gonna quickly feel wayyyyyy too chunky for ya! No way do you want to go that big. I was worried that a 5'9" would be too low in volume for me, but it's not the case. I'd say go with anything from a 5'10" to a 6', but don't go over that! It's an expensive board to grow out of too soon. The waves in the Mentawai Islands will be powerful and perfect, so you won't need much board to get going. Have a think about it, but definitely not a 6'6"!
            Good Point on that one. Don't want to have too much volume in this board. I got a 5'11", ( I weigh 177 and am 5'10") and it works pretty good for me. I have found, I can get back in the lineup pretty quick, since it is pretty easy to duck dive at the right volume. Also, any bigger, and on steeper waves it would not feel right. I have never been to Mentawais, but I would bring something like this then also a stepup(not a unibrow) , i.e., 6'6"- 7' in case its big. Also if the volume is lower then you are used to, and it is a different shape, paddle it for a couple of weeks prior to the trip. It took me about a week or so to adjust.
            Also what drove me to get my size is I was looking at the ratios of my weight to other peoples weight( of similar age and ability) and comparing that to board volumes. Comparing you to my weight and board volume, gets you around 33 liters. i.e. somewhere around 6''. Best advice is to go in the store and put one under your arm. I originally was going to get a 6'1" and when I held it in the store it just seemed a tad big. Good luck!

Comment

Cheers fellas - appreciate the input. I'll keep my eyes peeled for 6'2"...

Comment

Working...
              X