X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 board quiver

Hi guys, Im looking to buy a new stick. I currently have a 6'2 dominator and love it in 1-3ft. If anything its over volumed for the lower end. Im 83kgs and am strong in the shoulders and fit. I reckon i could have gone a 6'0 dom and still grovelled well.. lesson learnt though. My local beaches have fat waves and i dont surf many hollow waves. (Surf coast vicco, aus) I'm looking for something for the 3-6ft range and was thinking the unibrow as it has the similar smooth tail as the dominator. I also like what i read about the hellfire too. I dont surf anything over 8ft at this point as my ability is limited in these conditions at the moment. The boards ive been looking at are: Sub scorcher/ CC/UB/HF. Would be looking to go fst only. I only surf thruster setups too.. not a quad guy.... yet haha. any insight would be appreciated.

I would suggest you also look at the Mini Driver. It has a nice smooth outline, subtle bottom contours and goes great in 3 - 6 feet. I am in the area of 88kgs and ride a 5'10 Dom and a 6'0" MD (amongst several other boards) The MD paddles well and catches waves very well. I've said it on the forum before, but the MD has a neutral feel to it. And I think that's a good thing when the waves start getting some more power to them. I also travel to the surf coast every autumn - YEEHAA!!, and every spring - Can't win 'em all, so am pretty familiar with the wave type after 15 years of it. Good luck with getting a good board.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback sarge. Since original post ive done some more research. I'm leaning towards the unibrow and the mini driver now. Iv called most of the local surf shops around and im finding it hard to get a firewire mini driver down here on the surf coast.. theres a fair few unibrows which is good though. Im looking to get something around the 33-34ltr range. So 6'1 uni would be nice.... how does the mini driver paddle compared to a uni? Does the mini driver handle lower end say 3-4ft mushy stuff too? Would hate to buy the md and find i could only use it 4-5ft+. Im only leaning towards the MD as the tail looks slimmer than a uni? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

6'1 Unibrow or 6'2 MD are the sizes im looking at.

Comment

Hey, before you look into the mini driver wait and see a hashtag. I have an unibrow and will get a hashtag as soon as it's out. I was going to get a dominator but I think my baked potato fills that space just fine. Leave your dominator as your lower end board.

Comment

The BP def covers you from 1-3ft and unibrow picks up where the BP drops off. Can i ask why you'd trade in the Uni for a hashtag straight up? Is there any decent information on the hashtag as far as performance vs other boards, wave range, will it be a slight ste up from a uni?

Comment

I would never trade my unibrow for a hashtag. The unibrow is my everday board. I will get a hashtag besides my unibrow for good days. What I meant to say is that your two board quiver can be the unibrow and a hashtag. But it's just another suggestion.
              Last edited by OceanMindedBoy; 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I have ridden my 6'0" MD, and very happily, in thigh high waves. I would even say that a weak 2 foot session as a quad at Winki reaffirmed my belief in the board, after a not so good session at a good just overhead Bells the week before. (It was me not the board that had the poor session) have since had many a fine well-overhead ( and waist high) surf on her. And i still reckon the subtlety of the bottom contours are better suited to the power ( and the often wind affected lumps ) of the surf coast reef breaks I like the "look" of the # as well, but I think it's a big call, without seeing one, to say it's more HP than a board designed for hollow Indo waves.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback sarge. With your weight and board sizes you ride you must rip!! :) After doing some more research im going in a completely different way. Iv just felt up a Pyzel slab and think im going to order a custom with rounded pin and 6x4 glassing instead. At this stage if order time takes more than 3 months id probably just go back to the MD. Thanks again for feedback. Might catch ya around the traps Sarge.

Comment

• Sarge
                    Sarge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If its going to take 3 months you might as well wait for a FST version. Saw both the SLAB and PYZALIEN in the foam last week and they look super smooth. Such a beautiful subtlety in the contours. You could almost call them "simple shapes" except that not too many people can blend curves like that.
                    I reckon you will be on a winner with one of them under your feet. Heading back down there on April 1. Cant wait for the waves. Not keen on the water temp!
                    I will be the old guy who thinks he rips, sits right out the back, and laughs every time he falls off a wave. (Which is most waves)

Yeah i spoke with firewire last week and they said pyzel slabs in fst sometime in september. After surfing some of the glassiest waves we've had in the last 12 months this weekend iv decided to stay away from PU. Iv managed to obtain 3 small rail fractures on my dominator in 3 days (none big enough to take on water) and couldnt help but think that if it was a PU board id probably be in a worse scenario for repair. Theres a 6'2 MD on gumtree in NSW and iv spoken to the guy and have found fastway couriers will deliver for $70.. thinking for that price i may just pull the pin and try snag it for $500 delivered.

Comment

Hi guys. Would you say a 60 Unibrow TT 33lt and a V4 FST 60 31.5lt would a good quiver? Uni for small to medium waves and V4 for the overhead+ days? Thanks a lot!!

Comment

• Josh BL
                      Josh BL commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Those two models would make a nice two board quiver, but not sure about those sizes...A 6'0 V4 is pretty big and that board can be ridden quite small.

- FIJ

Thanks Josh. Would you mix those boards at the same volume?

Comment

• Josh BL
                      Josh BL commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I responded to your private message regarding this ^

I have the 6'0 Double Agent (FST) and a 6'0 Unibrow (FST). I'm 195lbs 6'0 and in excellent shape. I'm stoked on both. I've ridden the Unibrow in waist size waves...it's ok but it really excels in shoulder, overhead and nearly double overhead. It held very well for me. I used to have a Paulownia wood 5'11 Unibrow and loved it but wanted more foam for bigger days.

Now, I'm looking at a 6'2" Hashtag and was thinking about that for Portugal where the waves are fast, powerful and many days are shoulder to ++overhead. Or do I just sizie up my Unibrow? Paulownia wood in punchier days?? or stay with FST??

I'm evaluating the choice between a Unibrow or a Hashtag. From what I've read looks like the Hashtag is a more refined shape and rated for a wider range of surf size. Anybody have both that can speak from their experience? Choices, choices.....

Comment

Yeah Vasco I would agree have both boards and love the Uni for lower end from knee to overhead this board excels. Now the # Ive only surfed one time just got it a couple of weeks ago in 6-8 ' solid reef break and the board went insane held control in larger waves and very responsive when put on rail,, looking forward for more water time on the #. Both boards are very solid!!!!

Comment

Im starting to think pyzel slab in the 25L range and a 501 baked potato is gonna be my two board quiver...

Comment

Working...
                        X