Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keegz, i think your way over volumed for your weight, i weight 82.5 kg's at 6ft.1" i have a 5.3 BP, 5.8 DOM, 5.9 UNI and don't think that i need any more volume at any time, firewires need to be ridden lower volume than what you think to get the best out of them. As far as the UNI Vs DOM, the uni has a much tighter turning arc, makes the drops when it gets vertical better, for me - no longer slides out when it gets hollow, just seems a much more rounded board with more top end range yet still feels like the dom - i love it. Not really surfed the dom since i got the BP and UNI as i don't really need it.

If you was going to get a UNI then i'd go 5.10 tops, but advise the 5.9

Comment

Keegz what did you go with in the end?

Comment

I have recently become a bit disillusioned with my quiver and not really getting the most out of the waves. I've decided a 2 board quiver is the way - keep things simple - that is suitable for UK waves.

The other day i dug out my battered 5'10 dominator (haven't used it for > 1 year) and had the most fun surf i've had a ll winter...really clean chest high. Its made me think firewires might be a good route for a 2 board quiver....what would complement a dominator well ( I am 6ft, 88 - 90 kgs) and i think I have sized the dominator right?
        I was thinking a Unibrow, but there does seem to be quite a bit of overlap with a dominator and as suggested above might be better paired with a SP/BP whereas the Hashtag has a higher upper end and paired with a dominator would cover a larger range. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Sarge
          Sarge commented
          Editing a comment
          5'10" Dom - 6'0" # sounds like a pretty good 2 board quiver. (both are a part of mine)

• ant785
          ant785 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, cheers for the info...there are a couple shops that have demo boards not too far from where I am, i might call in and see if i can get a test tide on either...have to say leaning towards the #

Was considering both boards just like you, now I am set on the # as I am looking for a bit more refined steep wave potential. While deciding and looking at other FW shapes (HF, Dom ...) as well I found it very helpful to watch Youtube Videos of the boards being surfed and trying to figure out whether I liked the boards response, stance options etc. For the # there is a link on the FW Homepage. For the Uni there is a cool Video by timi reyes (though I was NOT really struck by the Unis bottom turn style, very drivy, though obviously very stable and safe).

Comment

• ant785
          ant785 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea i see what you mean about the uni, the hashtag looks closer to a standard HP boards. Like you I'm leaning towards the hashtag, seems to offer more.

Ant, where are you in the UK - if your ever in pembrokeshire you can have a blast on my 5.9 uni and 5.3 BP (that goes for anyone else on here aswell). Although i havent ridden the # i have gone through many firewire surfboard models in the past, searching for something that made the dominator better and addressed the issues i had with it when the waves got good and steep. I found the uni to be the closest to the dominator feeling and you can definately feel the Dom DNA running through it. I have mentioned on other threads the waves i have surfed on the UNI so sorry for being repetitive, bear in mind i also have a 6.3 flexfire pintail, i have surfed big barrelling slabs, i say big, stand up barrels a couple of feet overhead is as big as i'll go at this spot! double overhead+ offshore beach and reef breaks, weak waist/chest high beachies and i havent felt the need to get the flexfire out since i bought the UNI.

I think you need to sell the dom if you want a two board quiver and go with something similar to mine, the uni is far too close to the dom and the dom doesnt have the low end of the BP

You also mentioned the SP/BP i have owned a 5.4 SP and had a serious love hate relationship with it, i found the 5.3 BP a lot more rangey and a much better board, a lot more refined. If your gonna get a groveller then go BP, you wont regret it.

good luck with whatever you decide, hope you enjoy it!
        Last edited by onshoreandmessy; 01-30-2015, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• ant785
          ant785 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, thanks for that, I'm actually in Cornwall but if thanks for the offer and if for some reason I do end up in Wales ill let you know. I can see the sense in what you're saying...you cover a greater range with the boards than you have. There local surfshop actually has a 5'10 uni as a demo board soil going to try get that out and have a go. They also have a potaoto board - not sure which but i may be able to have a go on both. Also seen the mini driver and hashtag - they both look real nice shapes

I have been riding the # almost exclusively since I got it so I can get it dialled in. Most surf has been in the thigh - chest high, on-shore range, and the board has been a load of fun. There have been a couple of overhead days, and the board has held its own there too.

Comment

Hi Sarge, do you think that the # has the low end range of the Spitfire? I was seeing it as the step up from my SF for 3ft and up, but now you've got me rethinking my 2 board quiver. Maybe # replaces my SF for 1-4 foot, and Pyzel Spartan for 4 foot up? I don't know if I could part ways with the SF though, love it so much on fat days.

Comment

Update, no bigger Spartan's so that's not going to be an option.

Comment

If it wasn't a relative newbie, then I would have used the Dom on the days when the waves were smaller. I reckon a Spitfire and # would be a good 2 board quiver. I think they will compliment each other in the way they ride pretty well.
              No bigger Spartan Pyzels so looks like the # will be working as my "conventional" style board for up to DOH also. I am still a long way off 100% surf fit, but I am very happy with the way the # paddles generally, and how it gets into waves as well. (but my VG catches them so much easier. Its like I'm cheating)

Comment

Im stoked on my 501 BP and 508 MD quiver at the moment.

Tempted to round it off nicely with a 510 Spartan but the tail looks a little wide for it to be a stepup from the MD. If the tail was just a little more pinny and there was a 5 fin option im not sure i could resist.

Comment

Working...
                X