Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size Unibrow?

Hi everyone!

Since a couple of months I'm riding a 6.6 Potatonator and I'm very stoked with this board. Looking for a board to take out in better/bigger waves, I'm thinking of buying the Unibrow. If I compare the volume with the PN, I end up with a 6.10. That ooks a bit too big to me, but a 6.8 would have 7 ltrs less volume compared to my PN. I know you can drop some liters for better waves, but is 7 maybe too much?

What's your height, weight and how good would you consider your paddle strength? With this info we could help you a little more.
    Last edited by OceanMindedBoy; 03-05-2014, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I've been surfing for years and I am quit fit. I am 196cm (6.6ft) tall and my weight is 102 kgs (220lbs).

Comment

Based on what you told me I think the 6'8 would be a good choice. I use a unibrow in the mid-low range of my recommended volume. Even though it doesn't have a lot volume it paddles really well.

Comment

Perfect, thanks! Do you have any feedback on timbertek vs. est? My local shop has it in timbertek only, but I have good experience with the est boards. Is it durable like est? What about the flex?

Comment

I agree. I'm the same weight as you, and a little shorter at 193cm. I've done the exercise and for me I was tossing up between a 606 and a 608. A 608 is just a little high on the volume side for me, but would still work fine. I definitely wouldn't go any bigger than 608.

Comment

Thanks Justo, now the decision had been made, going for the 6.8 ;)

Comment

• justo
                justo commented
                Editing a comment
                Let us know how it goes once you've got it

You're asking the wrong person haha. I'm all about timbertek. I have three boards in my quiver. A baked potato, unibrow and TJ everyday. All in timbertek. In my opinion, fst and timbertek have the same durability. The difference is in the feeling, Timbertek is more buoyant and floaty. It feels really good under my feet. It doesn't get yellow overtime :) lol.

Comment

yeah, I love timbertek... it is just as durable... but you ding it and the repair needs to be schmicko otherwise your board will look like crap for ever after. Plus the cost of repair is more, and less people will be able to do it. That's the main thing steering me away from a BP as it's either TT or RF/LFT and I don't want either.

Comment

The composite on a FST is not an easy repair either. If the damage is in the rails the same type of repair applies for the TT. They both use wood. Just a different type.

Comment

Hi guys! I could use a bit of advice too, looking to get a Uni too but unsure of size and volume. I'm about 6ft and 170lbs and I'd say an average surfer. I ride a 5'10 Dom at the moment, but feels a bit big too be honest - i should probably be on the 5'8 Dom. What do you guys reckon?

Comment

try a 510 unibrow if your 510 dom seems too big. UNI would normally be 2-4 inches bigger than your dom or spit

Comment

A 5'10 unibrow would be good for you at 30L. It's 3.5L less than your current dominator at the same height, that should help with that bulky feeling.

Dominators are meant to be ridden a few inches below your height. 5'10 is not bad for your weight but 5'8 would hit the right spot at 31L.

Hope it helps answer your questions.

Comment

Thanks guys! We have very few distributors here in South Africa, so gotta be sure before I order!

Comment

Originally posted by justo View Post
                            try a 510 unibrow if your 510 dom seems too big. UNI would normally be 2-4 inches bigger than your dom or spit
                            I use a 6'4" Dom and UB. I find a slight reduction in volume for the UB works given they're intended to cover different conditions, with the Dom the uber groveller in my quiver.

Comment

Working...
                            X