Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 6.4 Unibrow paddles as good as 6 Dom?

Looking to replace my 6 Dom and get a unibrow as my board of choice from chest to overhead. I think quite a few of you have Unibrows in this size range? Will the 6.4 paddle as good as my Dom? Thats my concern. The Dom is great but I surf on a slow wave and so dont want to loose any paddle power, but at the same time push my surfing before Im too old! . Or should I go 6.6? Im 85kilo 6ft. My other board is a 5.7 baked.

I ride a 6'4" at 92kg and Ireckon it paddles better than my potatonator especially in chop. I think 6 6 would be too much board at 85kg

Comment

• ONeal
      ONeal commented
      Editing a comment
      50 young what size is your potatonator

I surf a 6'4" UB at 90kg. I reckon in that chest to OH range the UB is just a better board than the Dom. It's more refined. It's looser. It's more precise. Indeed, that wave range is ideal for the UB. I'd say definitely go for it in a 6'2" or 6'4".

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Think I will go for the 6.4.

50young - Im also interested to know what size your potatonator is ?

Comment

The bio for 50young says his pn is 6-0.

Comment

Originally posted by greyhound View Post
          Thanks for the comments guys. Think I will go for the 6.4.

50young - Im also interested to know what size your potatonator is ?
          My Nator is a 6.0 although Ithink I could go a 5' 10"

Comment

I cant help with the question about weight and paddle comparison but can say i have just picked up a 6'1 unibrow and im 82kgs and 5'10. If i were you id go either 6'1 if paddle fit or 6'2 if just ok. Honestly at 85kgs i think the 6'4 would be too much board.

Comment

It depends on age, as power to weight ratio tends to drop after 45 years - volume calculator allows for this. So at 85 kg and 55 years I can opt for lower volume 6'6" - which was great until delamination and was replaced by 6'8" which is great plus. No problems in duck diving 8 foot, catches waves easily and does not feel corky due to lower rail profile. I had a 5'9" Baked Potato and was unable to get comfortable on it and went to a 6'4" Spitfire which rarely comes out of the bag as Unibrow covers most days - those crowds do not stand a chance - foam the older surfer's best friend!

Comment

I'm 85k + and the 6'4UB was too much board, very wide in the tail - i prefer the 62

Comment

Don't go too big, use the volume calculator on the Firewire website to get an idea. I'm 6'0 @ 78kg's and I surf a 5'10 Uni, and at a stretch I might be good with a 5'11, but anything bigger will have too much volume to really bury the rail - which is exactly what the board was designed for. The Uni has a suprising amount of volume under the chest.

Comment

PS. It is the sickest board I have ever ridden!!

Comment

Working...
                    X