X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow size advice

Hi everyone, I posted the same message in the comment of the Shred Show episode about the Unibrow. For those who don't know what Shred Show, it is a web series where Chris talk about surfboards, it helps you understand about shapes a LOT. If you don't know it go check it out, especially the episodes about fins, they are amazing !
    Anyway here is the story I am 26 years old, 5'7" and 127 pounds, I currently live in Vancouver, BC and if I get a board I would be surfing this board on the Oregon coast, Washington coast & Vancouver Island.
    I am begineer/intermediate able to surf my CI Fort Knox (round tail) 6'0", which is roughly 25L I believe. My two problems are first that his board is in France where I am from (bummer) ! And that when waves are small or weak I am not yet able to generate my own speed properly.
    To give you an idea of my skills, I am able to drop in steep and hollow waves (1.5 OH Winkipop Australia in back foot & 1.5 OH Balangan Bali in front foot) I do my take off & bottom turns, but not really any manúuvres on this size & type of waves. When I am on weaker/smaller waves, then I try manúuvres. But quite often I am probably doing too weak bottom turns, or cut back with too much weight on my back foot and loose all my speed...
    Hence the reason why I was thinking grabbing a 5'8" Uni, (27.5 L) to help me out generating my own speed and taming my too heavy back leg. I don't have any problems paddling the CI Fort Knox, even on small waves. My question is considering that I will put Futures blacksmith F4 v2.0 tri fins (thanks for the help here as well Chris), should I only rely on the different volume distribution & shape between the two boards and go with the 5'6" keeping the same volume as my CI (25l) or should I choose the 5'8" (27.5l) to add a little bit of foam to help me generate speed, considering it is more a small wave oriented board.
    I believe this set up would be great ! But there is one thing that I can't assess, I am wondering if a 2.5 L volume difference would make a big difference... I have no idea if I would be able to feel (at all or too much) the volume difference ...So, I am scared to get the 5'8" and add the volume and have a board too corky or get the 5'6" and still struggle carrying my speed in weaker waves.
    Well I don't know if it is clear, anyone with an idea about this ?

You must be really skinny. I'm 5'6 and 140lb and I ride a 5'6 unibrow. At your weight the 5'6 should be more than enough.

Comment

Hey OceanMindedBoy ! I am not that big that's for sure but I've seen worse ahah ! Must have light bones ...
      Thanks for your help anyway, that's kind of confirming what I thought !

Comment

Haha I say you must be super skinny because I'm 5'6 and fit but I've never gone under 135lb so for you to be 5'7 and 127lb is freaking awesome. You can ride small boards because of your weight.

Comment

That's for sure !
          Hey what's your level, and what size of wave are you surfing with the unibrow ?
          Just wondering ...

Comment

I would say intermediate. I mostly surf 3ft and up with it and sometimes 2ft and up when the wave has punch to it.

Comment

That sounds pretty good !

Still debating but the 506 seems good, it would be the exact same volume as my 6'0" fort knox shortboard ...
              Anyway I will let people know as soon as I get it as it might help someone else.

I will be going in Maui in two weeks hopefully I will be able to demo it there !!!

Comment

Is there anyone else out there with an opinion here ? What would be the problem of having too much volume like in the 5'8 ?

Comment

I'm 6', 77kg, and I ride a 5'9" Uni. It's a little rocket, and I've surfed it in waist-high to nearly double overhead. Get the 5'6". The Uni paddles really well, and you definitely don't want too much volume.

Comment

The Unibrow's rather ample tail width should cope with any problem caused by being too heavy with your back foot. I now have mine set up as a quad and really like it when the waves get more powerful. Previously I only used to use quads for smaller stuff but I should just glass these puppies in and leave it.
                    Sorry to say it but I love volume and the rail on unibrow is not at all chunky so you can get away with the volume. So you get a nice fine rail and have a sneaky paddler that gets you more waves even though you are sitting outside those on thin boards. More volume means easier and earlier catching waves. More time to set your feet and weight distribution etc and better surfing. Too many kids are riding potato chip thin boards and you see them rip on perfect waves and bog searching for power on most days. I live at a well known point break so I get more perfect days than most but I still have to ride slop or slow waves most days and a little extra volume makes slop better and doesn't hurt on the perfect day, actually it helps beat the crowd!!! Go thick and enjoy!
                    Last edited by jambo; 04-26-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Well as you said JAMBO, I am starting to lean towards the 5'8", I would rather error on the too much volume than the too little... Besides it is easier to compensate too much volume (hands trailing in the water for example, weight distribution...) than too little.
                      Anyway, still not fully decided and I don't know what my boss is doing but I still haven't got my F***ING bonus ! HAHA
                      Thanks for the input guys

Comment

Capitalism has got out of control - bosses making squillions and not paying people enough to get a new wave sled - man the barricades and let's storm the Bastille! Or tell the boss you need some essential computer tool from FIREWIRE and bonus will pay for it and your productivity will go through the roof. Then quit and spend months following swells and sunshine!

Comment

Working...
                        X