Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition from Rusty '84 to Firewire Unibrow

Experts,

I am looking to purchase my first firewire. I was hooked on the idea of the Hellfire until I read about the Unibrow. I'm looking for your opinions before I go forward.

Me:
    29 Years old
    I'm 6'0"
    190 lbs, all muscle, extremely fit.
    just scratching into the intermediate category

The Old Board:
    The rusty (6'2") is great because of its float. I also love the thumb tail which seems to provide the extra stability I need in bigger waves. I've always thought "I wish I had this exact board in a quad/thruster setup"... Then I saw the Unibrow, compared dimensions and saw that it was close...

The rusty surfs small waves quite well, as long as they have a little juice. It also surfs in the well overhead range. I love it.

The New Board:
    Unibrow looks very similar to my Rusty, except with much finer rails. As I understand that will help when the size and juice increase. Will it decrease my paddle power? I'm a big dude and dragging 190 pounds in the water gets quite tiring after a few waves.

Unibrow has a quad/thruster set up, which I love. I love the option of extra speed. I can turn front and back hand, but I'm not going vertical terribly often, so the loss of maneuberability does not really concern me. What I like is the option for paddle power and speed to get me more waves, and when I start to want to do more, I'll move to the thruster set up.

Unibrow, according to the volume charts has butt loads more volume. My rusty 6'2" is advertised at 32 liters. The Unibrow 6'0" is advertised at 33 liters. Even at two inches shorter, thats a liter more float. at the same length, it's 4 extra liters.

So what do you guys think my experience with a 6'2" or 6'0" Unibrow would be? I want to surf waste high to 1.5 overhead, just like I do on my Rusty.

Thanks!!!
    Best Regards,
    Wes Neill
    Last edited by wescneill; 04-17-2014, 02:08 AM.

Oh, and the volume calculator says I should be riding a 6'10" Unibrow!? Does it assume I'll be riding double overhead waves on the daily?

Comment

6'4 uni or better yet 5'10 nano!

Comment

• wescneill
        wescneill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking specifically at the Uni though, and 6'4" is quite a bit larger in length and volume than what I already ride quite well. I already have a 5'10" Hynson for those really small days.

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going with a standard guild factor of .43 which puts you around 36-37L. If you like the Vol of your Rusty, then go with the same volume in a Uni. The Nano is def not for small surf, it works really well in head high+ punchy breaks. Keep in mind, if you put in beginner in the FW vol calc its going to put you into the high 40s/low 50s vol as a suggestion. You can always demo the Uni in a few sizes and dial in whatever feels best. I had been looking at a Uni as well (6'4/220lbs) but ended up going with the Nano for waist to OH. Its the best board I've ever ridden, if you're looking for speed the MPH Tomo designs will blow your mind.
        Last edited by BFILK; 04-17-2014, 07:49 AM.

I'm 5'9" and about 85kgs and ride 6'8" Unibrow and it works in 2ft to 8ft no problems. It feels looser than my 6'4" Spitfire but positive despite how hard you push it. This is around the mid point of volume for age/ability according to Firewire's volume calculator.The fine rails allow you to carry thickness and maintain loose feel. I had a 6'6" Unibrow and loved riding it - replaced with bigger board and this is better - same thickness just some extra area and volume. BFILK's calculation puts you on a 6'6" or maybe 6'4" on more powerful sucky waves. My experience is that a slightly bigger board is not a problem and if you want paddling power then more surface area will allow your 190lbs to plane on the water for less effort. So more waves and that means your surfing improves. I am using the paddling power to compensate for the aging arms having to compete for waves with people who are a quarter of my age! Remember to compensate for thickness with larger fins. The 6'8" Unibrow is probably the best board I have owned in over 40 years of surfing and I have had custom boards from Geoff McCoy, Rod Dahlberg, Simon Anderson, Greg Webber and Wayne Lynch. My advice is go long as the board is so loose.

Comment

Thanks very much for the input guys. I'll consider going a bit bigger than 6'2", but knowing myself I'll end up selling the bigger board or letting it collect dust in the closet whilst I wait for the couple really big days each year... I would really like to try BFILK's suggestion out and demo a 6'4", but I'm getting my board wholesale, so it's not really an option so I'm nervous about ordering a board that big.

On the other hand, I'm planning on a year long run down the coast of central and south America in a few months, and I might get more use out of a bigger board than I think.

Originally posted by jambo View Post
        I'm 5'9" and about 85kgs and ride 6'8" Unibrow and it works in 2ft to 8ft no problems. It feels looser than my 6'4" Spitfire but positive despite how hard you push it. This is around the mid point of volume for age/ability according to Firewire's volume calculator.The fine rails allow you to carry thickness and maintain loose feel. I had a 6'6" Unibrow and loved riding it - replaced with bigger board and this is better - same thickness just some extra area and volume. BFILK's calculation puts you on a 6'6" or maybe 6'4" on more powerful sucky waves. My experience is that a slightly bigger board is not a problem and if you want paddling power then more surface area will allow your 190lbs to plane on the water for less effort. So more waves and that means your surfing improves. I am using the paddling power to compensate for the aging arms having to compete for waves with people who are a quarter of my age! Remember to compensate for thickness with larger fins. The 6'8" Unibrow is probably the best board I have owned in over 40 years of surfing and I have had custom boards from Geoff McCoy, Rod Dahlberg, Simon Anderson, Greg Webber and Wayne Lynch. My advice is go long as the board is so loose.

Comment

• BFILK
          BFILK commented
          Editing a comment
          At the end of the day wescneill you need to go w/what you feel works best. Remember a bigger board from Firewire does not mean a big gun for big surf. You will be much happier on a 32L Uni in 6-8 ft surf than on a 6'6 uni. All that extra volume will help w/paddling, but when you are on a steep, fast wave the smaller the board the better (within reason). The bigger Firewires will help if you are a beginner and need more float for balance or if you are out of shape/older and need help paddling into waves (more surface area/volume will help you stay on top of the water and move further per stroke). The main takeaway I want to leave you with is Volume is totally a preference thing and also to think about the waves you are riding. I've heard guys like goodfish say he loves riding his uni in anything thigh high and up. If you plan on using it for knee/thigh high surf the extra volume will be the way to go. If you are going to be riding it on punchier chest high + surf then I would say to go with the same volume as your Rusty. Dan Mann's shapes are great at helping you surf better and get more paddle out of the size when compared to similar height boards. If you are happy with your 32L rusty then I'd say go with the 5'11 Uni at 31.6 or the 6'0 at 33L if you think you'll be using it in smaller/mushy surf. Go with your gut, if 36L sounds like too much foam for you then it is. No one can tell you the optimal volume for you, trust your instincts.

Ok guys, I've decided on the 6'2". It's 4 extra liters of float and I need the paddle power in bigger waves and it will float the small ones better.

...wow...

So I'm a member of promotive.com, which allows brands to sell goods at wholesale to those who meet certain professional criteria. Firewire offers wholesale boards to U.S. Navy through promotive.com. You can only get one or two, I think, but it's still a great deal... For some reason they just took their discount down. These past three days I've been thinking about which board I want, and apparently I was wasting time. I hope they put a new deal up soon, otherwise I'll probably have to look elsewhere for a similar board :(

"The Firewire store is unavailable until further notice"

Comment

Working...
        X