X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uni Mistake

After a ton of research and contemplating I pulled the trigger on a 6'2" Uni Timbertek. Unfortunately I think I made a mistake on sizing maybe even the board in general. I normally ride a 6'0 Spitfire or a 5'10" Potatonator on small days. I love both of these boards so I though the 6'2" Uni would be a great step-up for bigger days and a Nicaragua trip I'm taking in a few weeks.

I'm having a problem controlling drop-ins and generating speed the same way I do on my Spitfire. I have tried it as a Quad and as a Thruster with Lost MB2's. I'm trying to love this board but something is just not clicking.

I surfed the Uni this morning in glassy but walled shoulder to head+ conditions and had a hard time beating the sections or making the shoulders. Then this afternoon I took out my Spitfire and was ripping it up.

Any suggestion to help me fall in love with this board? (and not mope over the $800 bucks I spent on it?)

Thanks!

My best guess is you'll need to be more active on the UB than the Spit. The board is there to give drive and speed but you need to be driving regularly off the back foot to get that. That's the only thing I can think of. Sometimes though a board just doesn't feel right and best to go back to square one. The Hellfire is closer in lineage to the Spit so maybe try that? I surf my UB at the same length as my Dom, finding I need less volume as wave size increase. Maybe drop down a length?

Comment

don't really have any suggestions but the unibrow has a ton of built in speed.. i was shocked/stoked... its not the board

Comment

My buddy has a Potatonator and a Unibrow. As I watch him, he has a difficult time transitioning between the 2 boards. He surfs the PN very well but tends the bury the rails on the UB because he stands too far forward. The wide point on the Unibrow is below center while the wide point on the PN is above center. He's trying to retrain himself to be more conscious of his foot placement.
        The Unibrow is a very fast board. Step back and look at it. Identify the wide point of the board and then check the wax to see where your feet are attached. You might be experiencing the same dynamic.

Comment

I had a JK and a PN. Sold the 2 and i'm riding a UNI in pretty much anything from knee to had and a half, and it just feels natural in those conditions. Don't feel lack of speed or out of control.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Good things to consider.

Csarqui that is probably my problem as well. I am a front foot surfer so I really need to think about getting back on the Uni. I actually broke my Spitfire this morning so it looks like I will be shopping for a replacement or getting used to my Uni! haha

Comment

• csarqui
              csarqui commented
              Editing a comment
              Bummer on the Spitfire. That's one of the best boards ever made in my opinion. I liked the Unibrow because it broadened the range of the Dominator style boards. But in the end, being a front footed surfer as well, I sold it.

Try riding a single fin (mid 70s era), that will teach your back foot to know its place. Trouble is you might feel that you are surfing with an anchor when you surf with back foot on modern boards. I wish I did not have to remind myself to get front foot carrying more weight. AHHH the bad habits we picked up in the seventies before SAINT SIMON put three fins on it and called it a thruster!
            Mind you the Unibrow is up there with the all time best boards I have owned - rips on long walled points, savage sucky reefs and not bad on slow slop. I agree with H.S.O. it feels effortless - think and it does - I had Greg Webber shape me a board 10 years back and it was the same - ripped in everything - in fact the only limit to board was me!!! The Unibrow is even better.
            Last edited by jambo; 05-19-2014, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Hi TommyRio, I might have the same problem as you. Did you find out how to get speed and control on your UB?I have surfed my UB a couple of times in shoulder high but not very powerful waves and I was surprised that I couldn't generate speed as I wanted. I am a front foot rider and used to surf a 5'8'' retro fish before transiting to a UB 5'9''. During the last surf, I noticed my front foot was positioned on the Firewire logo and my back foot on the pad. Unfortunately I felt as if I surfed with an anchor... Also didn't get the chance to try it in good surf yet. Just hope that I will catch the tip soon!

Comment

I am overly heavy on back foot and unibrow really suits me suits me. So my conclusion is if the thing feels sluggy then rearrange distribution of weight!

Comment

I would give the Unibrow some time. It took me a little while to really start feeling it, but I consider it my goto board for anything from average or better waves. I had a spitfire and could not get that thing to work for me unless waves were shoulder high or better. Needless to say the spitfire was sold after getting the Unibrow and connecting with it. In my opinion the Unibrow is much more versatile than the spitfire and has higher performance too. If you still can't get it to work for you try something else. Everyone is different and it's been my experience you just have to do a lot of experimentation to find what works really well for you. Also I wouldn't get too caught up in the trend of low volume unless your surf spot has some really good waves.

Comment

Working...
                  X