X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC vs UNI

Hi all, posted this in the CC section. Thought I'd try here for more responses. Hi all Got the green light from the office of war and finance to get a new board. I posted in the uni section before, but have a different idea on what I need. I'm 100kg, 6'3" tall, intermediate, and in the water 2-3 times a week. I need the board as my 1 board quiver for waist high to around 1.5x overhead. Mostly beach breaks, but good reef breaks every few months. Needs to paddle well and catch waves easily. What board do I need? 606 chubby chedda, 606 unibrow, 608 unibrow or Something else? I'll be ordering in the next couple of days. Thanks in advance.

Id say the the 6 6 Uni would be perfect although i havent riden the CC

Comment

It would have to be something really special for me to give up my Unibrow 6' 8" in TT. Chubbby looks good in FST,PU and epoxy and a lot are surfed locally - so I know they perform. If they were TT then maybe. I surf my Unibrow in 2 foot plus beach and some serious reef breaks and find it great. I had a 6'6" and it was also really nice to ride. I went 6'8" Uni as it is TT has and is at top of volume for my size, weight. A friend has 6'10" Uni and is a bigger frame than me and rips on it - sensitive rail hides thickness. Again I haven't ridden Luke's Chubby Cheddar but I hear a lot of positive reviews - his newer custom epoxy boards are similar weight to Firewire version and identical dimensions so the decision needs to be made.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Keep it coming. Haven't gotten to the store yet, so hopefully this weekend.

Comment

CC will shred in the waist to head high and occasional overhead days. Throw in a set of large fins for the bigger days to get that hold, and medium fins for everything else. The UB and the CC are similar, but I'm a traditionalist with my thruster setups, so that's why I prefer the CC. You will be able to generate more of your own speed with the CC as well because of that wide, thinned out tail. Have you demoed either board yet?

Comment

Thanks Josh. Unfortunately no where within at least 200km to test a board even though I'm in a city of 2,000,000 people. Crazy huh? I guess I'm kinda buying on spec. Looking in board compare it appears the CC would paddle better based on a forward wide point, where the UNI has a rear wide point. That would also lead me to believe that the uni would be better in fat waves, and the cc better in waves with some punch. But compare boards doesn't show rocker or tail thickness. I've seen a uni on the rack and it looks nice, but hear a lot of good stuff abou LSD shapes - seriously who hasn't Luke worked with? Al Merrick, Matt Biolos, and the grandfather of modern design Simon Anderson. Will the 40L or so be enough for my fat ass? Reading on here and people seem to go with huge volumes compared to what the shapers recommend for each skill level.

Comment

Working...
            X