X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow review

Hi all, just wanted to give my feedback on the board. I'm 32, 100kg (220lb), 191cm (6'3") surfing since I was 14 but out of the water the last 2 years for various reasons. I'm probably back to an intermediate ability and surfing a 606 unibrow with futures JC1 fins. The boards outline is beautiful, smooth lines, and a nice rail profile. Quite a deep double to single concave under the fins. Paddling - I'm super unfit right now. No paddle strength or stamina, but the board paddles very well. Tackled currents easily, and very easy to duck dive. I've had 2 sessions so far. First 1.5 - 2x OH barreling beach break. I didn't catch a wave, I was stuffed. Second session was stomach to just over head nice almond shaped waves. Caught heaps! Only at the end of the session did I start struggling. Wave catching - paddles in easily. Definitely easier if you do a quick spin and lunge into the wave. Saves energy too. A long paddle in doesn't really work with this board. It's very stable and predictable as the wave lifts it. Gives plenty of time to get to your feet. The ride - very easy. Massive sweet spot, goes well on the front foot and on the back, very neutral. It's a stable board, but once you initiate a turn it just goes there, and very smoothly due to the thumb tail. It holds in very well on a steep face, and does OK on fat waves. I found it a little slow around some sections, but I think that's more me than the board. I feel it could do with a bit more drive, but again that's me and my fin selection more than anything. Backhand rides were really easy. In fact, seemed more sure footed on the back hand. Very reassuring. Front side also went very well. Who should buy this - you want a user friendly high performance board that hides volume well. You might have a dom or spit, but just crave a little more performance, this board will give it to you. Intermediate to advanced riders will appreciate it the most, I think beginners would struggle quite a bit. If you're surfing beach or reef breaks this board will rock. Probably points as well. It's very versatile, almost a one board quiver. However a potato would go well with it. Sizing - for an intermediate I'd look between 38 - 41L volume per 100kg body weight. I think I nailed the size. Advanced - I'd look between 35 - 38L per 100kg. Beginners - look at a dominator or addvance instead. Cheers.

sorry about the format. I did put in paragraphs etc, but when I posted it all the layout changed.

Comment

this is what I've been treated with the last couple of days (from the 1st August to today 4th August)

http://www.swellnet.com/surfcams/scarborough

Head high, offshore, nice banks, and not too many people out.

Comment

I wrote a review similar to yours but for some reason they marked it as unapproved. Maybe it was too similar? Mod-life crisis? Who knows. Anyway just wanted to say your review is what got me to pull the trigger and I'm glad I did. Went for the 7'0 since I'm 250lb and the first session worked out well. It's nice that firewire finally has a board with a somewhat normal outline available in a big-guy size.

Comment

• Chris
          Chris commented
          Editing a comment
          hey Beetles sorry about that, not sure why it would have been unapproved. the robotic nature of the forum does that from time to time though I tried to get them all marked and approved ASAP.

Too right beetles. There are heaps of shapes I like that are 2-4" too small. Glad my review was of use to you.

Comment

My post is still not showing up so I'm going to piggyback yours if it's ok. Second session today was great. The waves weren't that great, but it was finally nice to have a board that makes 1' overhead closeout reef breaks easier. It glides in early, but can stick a late drop falling down with the lip no problem. It just about doubled my take-off window for paddling into waves.

It's probably going to require a thruster or a smaller quad set than the one I have. Can slide the tail but there's definitely some resistance and it slows down quickly when it's out of the power zone. More hurricane surf on the way. If this one place is good like I'm hoping then maybe I can get back to you with some inside-the-barrel reports.

Comment

We got some great overhead surf from Hurricane Julio this afternoon, but the choice tube spot was all browned out from the rainfall run-off. Fortunately the junky grovel spot was going off today with consistent double overhead, and the unibrow did not disappoint. There were no problems sticking late drops on the set waves, and it also fit very well inside the curves of the smaller inside bowl sections. Very stoked on this board so far, although I forgot to change out the quad fins for something else. It did feel tracky in the power sections until I shifted my foot way back, and then it got a little looser. It still seems like this board would be better as a thruster in more powerful waves, but I'll have to wait to be the judge of that. This is a picture just to give a hint of the conditions, and represents the smaller inside bowl that was going off. I was already out of the water and the swell had dropped significantly by then, but still great form.

Comment

• Chris
              Chris commented
              Editing a comment
              Man does that look fun.

Update: I've been struggling a bit on my drops lately and not getting around the first section. I just felt slow. I've switched in a set of stretch quads. It has definitely helped me get a little more speed in these small but fast waves. Just not quite enough drive, thinking some larger fronts and it should be sweet. Once over head high I'll go back to a thruster.

Comment

yo justo its funny you mentioned that. I'm having a similar issue in Indo today. paddled out to ulus for the first time at about 3 foot with the am2 thruster setup (also first time) and the softer ones at the peak were OK, but when I tried to move up to temples I got cracked twice on the takeoff. first time the board hit me in the stomach and knocked the wind out of me. it was the worst sucker punch I've had in years. second one hit me in the face and opened up a cut on my eyebrow that took some superglue to finally close. it was just a tad ironic that's where the unibrow decided to gash me! anyways both times I was trying to take off sideways in to the barrel and it seemed like everything was going great then....pow! at first I figured the 7'0 has too much volume for tight little fast barrels, but it may have something to do with my approach. the last few times I've been using quads which help make a little speed while sacrificing looseness, but today the board needed more encouragement to get going and probably in my haste to get to the high line I was disastrously mistiming the drops. I want to go back tomorrow and try the quads. it will be a couple days until the swell picks up and most likely it will do much better on a more sizeable wave like back on Oahu

Comment

my eye swelled up huge last night and turned lots of pretty colors. the plan is to do some sight seeing and give the cut a couple days to grow back together since I've had superglue cuts pop back open in the water before. it's still bothering the heck out of me how this happened. maybe barrels too small and powerful for my board and frame? I just remember dropping in and getting inside the tube, feeling great and all of a sudden WHAMMO. maybe its better for me to stick to bodysurfing in conditions like that. I've been replaying the incidents in my mind all night trying to figure out what went wrong because it happened so fast and I didn't see it coming.

Comment

Well I figured out the problem but was too busy having a good time to post. Didn't change out my Hawaii summertime wax, and Bali's cool water temps made my deck super slick. A new bar of the Wacks fixed that in a jiff. Also put the quads back on and never took them off for the whole trip. Towards the end we had a couple days in the 8-10' range and although the 10 footers were too big for me on this board, the Uni did make a couple of sketchy 8' drops and scooted down the line out of the danger zone. It was most comfortable at 6' and produced many memorable rides, especially at Impossibles where I was making sections that others were having a much more difficult time with. I like how I can have my back foot forward for speed/barrels and then shuffle it back when it's time for open face turns. This is right up there with my favorite boards ever. It doesn't really work in anything under head high, but that's ok. I'll figure out some other way to stay amused.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X