X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7'0 Unibrow for 250lb guy REVIEW

So far only one windy waist to head high session, but I think it's going to work out. I took it to a South Shore Oahu spot with a little bit more punch. It didn't like the foamy sucking take-offs over the reef boils but with a nice clean face at shoulder high plus it was easy to get in with a couple extra srokes. I had tried a 6'6 spitfire before and had flailed miserably. It was just a bit too under-volumed and with a slow paddler like me it required last minute drops, which the nose would catch sending me head-first into the trough. The Unibrow has enough rocker to make the later drops comfortably, but most importantly I get a little more time to get to my feet. I managed to get a cover-up and can tell that it should work in hollow waves, which is great because I bought the board for a Bali trip since taking my high perfomrance SUP along would be too expensive/cumbersome. The Unibrow requires the rear foot to be as far back as possible in order to get to work, and a few times I found myself shuffling my trailing foot into position. It's very similar to the kind of ride I get from my SUP, which is great because that means transitioning back and forth shouldn't be a big deal. The Futures quad fins I have (Tropical Blends solid fiberglass for bigger guys) worked very well for laying it on a rail but I can see how waves with more size and punch might like a thruster set up better. If it gets bigger I'll give the AM2's a try and maybe pick up some Pancho Sullivans as a backup for the trip. This board is definitely notn a groveller for me. It needs juice to get it going, but it did manage to skate through a slow section and get my out-of-shape behind to the second (better) half of one wave and I was glad for it. There is some real possibility here, and if I can stick to the no bread/beer/midnight snack diet and surf every day until the trip I think it will be a good board to have along.
Working...
X