7'0 Unibrow for 250lb guy REVIEW Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7'0 Unibrow for 250lb guy REVIEW

So far only one windy waist to head high session, but I think it's going to work out. I took it to a South Shore Oahu spot with a little bit more punch. It didn't like the foamy sucking take-offs over the reef boils but with a nice clean face at shoulder high plus it was easy to get in with a couple extra srokes. I had tried a 6'6 spitfire before and had flailed miserably. It was just a bit too under-volumed and with a slow paddler like me it required last minute drops, which the nose would catch sending me head-first into the trough. The Unibrow has enough rocker to make the later drops comfortably, but most importantly I get a little more time to get to my feet. I managed to get a cover-up and can tell that it should work in hollow waves, which is great because I bought the board for a Bali trip since taking my high perfomrance SUP along would be too expensive/cumbersome. The Unibrow requires the rear foot to be as far back as possible in order to get to work, and a few times I found myself shuffling my trailing foot into position. It's very similar to the kind of ride I get from my SUP, which is great because that means transitioning back and forth shouldn't be a big deal. The Futures quad fins I have (Tropical Blends solid fiberglass for bigger guys) worked very well for laying it on a rail but I can see how waves with more size and punch might like a thruster set up better. If it gets bigger I'll give the AM2's a try and maybe pick up some Pancho Sullivans as a backup for the trip. This board is definitely notn a groveller for me. It needs juice to get it going, but it did manage to skate through a slow section and get my out-of-shape behind to the second (better) half of one wave and I was glad for it. There is some real possibility here, and if I can stick to the no bread/beer/midnight snack diet and surf every day until the trip I think it will be a good board to have along.

Hi beetles - great review in other thread. I'm similar dimensions to you. Difficult to find the right board at our weight eh? Interested to hear that you don't think it works under head high. You've had the board fr a while now - what's your take on it now? Really interested in a fellow big guy perspective.