X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the UB right for me

I have a 5'6" SP that I've been riding non stop for 3 months pretty much every day. I transitioned from long boards and love the short hybrid SP but as the waves get above waist height the SP gets a bit wacky. I also think it's a bit over volumed for me prob could have gone to 5'4" easily.

I'm considering a 6' UB as my step up but need input if it's the right board and size. Also considering the spitfire.

Other details include I'm 180lbs 5'11" in excellent paddling shape from surfing daily for months and am intermediate level just starting to learn to control my bottom turn, top turn etc... I surf beach breaks in montauk so small waves most the summer and surf long beach NY during the winter. I really like the back footed quad speed of the SP.

Help? Thanks!
    Last edited by Montauket; 08-14-2014, 06:34 AM.

For me the UB is a way better step-up than a Spitfire, but that's on Oahu where a normal short board here is a step-up board compared to most other places. Spitfire doesn't handle the steeper drops as well, but unless you are planning on charging some dredging beach break closeouts that's probably not going to matter much. I used to live a couple islands over from you and the surf over there responds a bit better to flat-deck boards like the Spitfire, which is probably a generally better all-around New England board in my opinion. When you get to the head and a half + range the extra width and beefier rails might slow you down a bit and duck diving will be a little harder. Also consider that in the winter months it will be nice to have some extra flotation when you are bundled up in your 7mil tuxedo. The wetsuits now are probably a lot better than they were 10 years ago, but they are designed to hold warm water next to your skin and that means extra weight. The other thing is Spitfire has been around for a while so you can probably pick up a used one for half price, saving your pennies for a Unibrow when you need something that will work when the barrels get thicker.
    Last edited by beetles; 08-13-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

BTW are you really 6'11"?

Comment

Yeah 5'11" is my height ;)

Comment

it really depends on what breaks you surf here on long island ... a lot of breaks DO NOT like a flatter deck like the above responder.. most of the better beach breaks here are quite hollow even when its small.. it depends on where u surf.. some of the mellower reefs out east would prefer the flatter deck of the spit but when it gets good i'm sure you will want a bit more rocker in the nose. same thing in LB during the winter nor easter swells.. its not a crumbly flat wave.. its hollow and usually the winds are honking out of the N/NE.. the unibrow has a good amount of rocker and plenty of deck under your chest for paddling ease.
          my current quiver here on LI right now consists of a potatonator-chubby chedda-unibrow-hellrazor... my potatonator and chubby i use most... unibrow i overvolumed on so its my 5mm heavy rubber winter board now.. razor is my step up..
          next board up will probably be a hashtag.. want a lil more rocker for when its barreling but not overly big at my local

Comment

Not exactly flat faced

Comment

Kdropin & beetles: thanks for your thoughts. I'm surfing ditch and west of ditch near the shadmore cliffs. When I'm in LB I always paddle out at Lincon. Would a potatonator be a smoother transition from a SP or should I just go UB? Since it would be a good wave board should I stay in the mid to low section of my volume range?

Comment

surfing ditch and lincoln u should just get a longboard with the rest of the masses

Comment

I don't bother with the crowds at ditch I stay west of it until winter when crowds are gone.

Comment

I stand by my initial assessment. Also keep in mind the low salinity in NE waters that makes things not float as well, plus the higher viscosity during winter. I would go a bit extra in the volume dept, especially if you gotta battle a logjam.

Comment

Ordered a 5'11" UB TT that's on backorder and a 5'3" baked potato TT that I took out today for the first time. Groveling conditions, worked great, caught anything worth catching. Very happy that I got the volume right on it. Can't wait for the UB and some better waves.

Comment

Hi I'm wondering about replacing my usual shaper's 6'7 dominator style by a UB in 6'8 to complete en 6'0 * 22,5 * 2 7/8 BP style
                        Me? 5'11" and about 210lbs
                        it's meant to be used from 3to 4 ft waves more or less hollow, north brittany France .
                        What do you think ?
                        Last edited by Yvibzh; 11-30-2014, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Yvibzh, IMHO I'd go with a 6'6" I,m 90kg and 53 yrs old and ride a 6'4" and should really go a 6"2"

Comment

Working...
                          X