X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under appreciated

There hasn't been a lot of buzz on here about this one. I was feeling up the 5'8 yesterday and it felt good. Perfect step down for people that find the Dominator/Spitfire etc too chunky.

I agree Phil. This board is still on my radar as the next step up from my BP and possibly an everyday average wave board. The 6'0" has 35 litres of volume which packs a lot of float into a shorter board.

Comment

I've been away from Firewires for a year, just wanted to try something different. Looked at this last night and considering it as a 1 board quiver. The only downside is the 5'8 is right at the top end of (my volume) 29l and i worry that the nose is a little too wide for the better days. Yet i'm getting no younger and it's this or go back to the 5'6 spit but i don't really like the drop rail tail, i like and have tried the Dom in a 5'6 yet i found it hard to bury the tail at only 155 lb in weight.

Comment

Actually this board looks very similar to the diamond tail El Fuego except the lost has an extra inch in the tail (nose the same). Tried one of those in a 5'9 and really didn't like it one bit, so maybe this isn't the board for me?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          rocker is quite different. it looked pretty performance capable to me.

I felt one up last week and was temped to buy it, but after having a Fuego in the past and not really clicking with that I felt it wasn't for me......maybe tempted to give it another go, think it would work well as a everyday board especially in my weak local waves
        Last edited by GB Benny; 02-17-2014, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I bought one and sold it within 2 weeks. It didn't have wave catching magic like the Dom, Uni, or even the VG. It took a lot of work to get into a wave. It didn't have the instant speed that you might expect for the shape either. It was good in bowly shoulders. But what isn't? Generally, it needs a good wave and then it surfs really well. Really high performance. But we don't have a lot of that in north county San Diego. I've lost a little bit of confidence in the Lost models when they translate over to Firewire. Something just seems to be missing for me.

Comment

Yeah that was the only thing that worried me, too much like the El Fuego. I used that for 1 hour and made the shop kindly take it back, it just felt wrong, too 70's for me with too much upfront and not enough in the tail. I don't think you can go wrong with a dom or spit for 1-4 ft waves. For 530, i might have to play the safe card and leave the rich kids to experiment!

Comment

I have a 506 and really like the board. I was using it to replace a SS and PN and it does a great job of it. I never find it hard to get into waves on the board and love the narrower tail for snappy turns in the lip. It can handle a bit of size two,In over head surf its real fun. The 5 fin option is great, If the waves are small i run a quad setup. K 2.1. Saying that I have really fallen back in love with my SS, actually looking at a custom SS2 model.
              As the BP can really handle quite a wide range of surf, then a step down and HSPB quiver sorted.

Comment

I was eyeing one up in TT at the aus surf convention on the gold coast. Chatting to a guy who said he demoed one and had a blast. He was frothing for the step in the tail which i didnt appreciate til i saw in real life and can see how itd give you a real nice bite for snappy turns. We both agreed that it looked to be what the spitfire should be which we also agreed was a bit of a dud however many people love the spitfire. The spitfire was the reason i dont have much faith in diamond tails... il stick to rounded squash for now (love dat chubby chedda).

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  Yeah that was the only thing that worried me, too much like the El Fuego. I used that for 1 hour and made the shop kindly take it back, it just felt wrong, too 70's for me with too much upfront and not enough in the tail. I don't think you can go wrong with a dom or spit for 1-4 ft waves. For 530, i might have to play the safe card and leave the rich kids to experiment!
                  I rode my Spit copy Sunday and twice yesterday in Wittering and it's so reliable for anything 2ft and up.....it's a hard one to replace especially for a one board quiver, you don't need to think about it just grab and go!....still looking at the Chubby though for 2-3ft and up

Comment

I was surprised to see that the 2014 Firewire catalog listed the skill level for the V2 as Beg to Adv surfers. I've been thinking about a user friendly board as a daily driver as I'm looking to move on from an ADD but never considered the V2 as I thought it would be more of a refined shape than say the dom/spit (even though the Spit is listed as int-adv). I'm pretty set on a DOM though - just waiting for the Nor-Cal demos in March, which I'm REALLY excited about.

Comment

Working...
                    X