X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V2 for 1-4 ft?

Guys- looking to add a board to sit between an SP<-->Nano. I'm 6'4 215lbs and looking at the 6'4 V2. Anyone riding this have any input? Given the rocker I'm assuming it doesn't grovel all that well but how is it at 3 footers (waist/stomach) if they have some push? I'm generally surfing southern CA where we get mushier waves that can be a bit steep/walled and I like the nose rocker on this guy for those conditions. I find that the SP struggles in 3 foot, steeper waves and I'd ideally like to replace it in those conditions with something else. V2 sound like the right call? I was looking at the DOM/SPIT but when I saw this I thought that extra rocker might be helpful but not sure if it takes away from the low end too much.

Hey BFILK.

Doesn't the Nano work at waist height? I was hoping to demo one this weekend and compare it to the V2 but the forecast is for waist/chest. I was thinking/hoping both boards would cover a similar range and it would just be a case of preference.

Comment

I can ride the Nano in waist high but its best for shoulder + punchy breaks. When I talked to Chuy about the Uni/Nano he said Nano has more high end. I've been shocked by the Nano's range but in weak waves its not really its forte, you can def ride it and still have fun but its not what I find to be the optimal range.

I should add that the Nano is my fav board of all time. Its a blast to ride and very forgiving, inspires a lot of confidence in larger surf and has a lot more rocker than the VG.
      Last edited by BFILK; 06-03-2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

You're probably right to look at the V2 for punchy waist to shoulder. I had a demo at the weekend, got a few great waves on the Saturday (punchy, cleanish faces) but Sunday wasn't so good. Still waist high but mushy low/mid period waves which would have suited a groveller. The V2 definitely likes a bit of push.
        I'll still demo the Nano at the weekend to satisfy my curiosity.

Comment

So you'd say the V2 didn't handle waist high mush very well? That's not gonna be a fit then for me, if its waist high with some solid push/clean face the Nano will go, anything above that size w/those same conditions and the Nano rocks n' rolls. I guess the only solution for mushy waist is the Dom/Spit/Potato??

Comment

Definitely likes a bit of push.
            Can you get a demo?

Comment

Yes, just didn't want to waste the time if the consensus is a no go for what I'm looking to do.

Comment

it does come down to preference somewhat, but yeah the V2 has a little extra flip out the tail so that is probably what you were feeling Clutch. Don't forget about the Dominator or Spitfire either. Both of those boards absolutely rip in the little stuff... Two of my favorite hybrids. Maybe not the sexy new model name, but you'll forget about that when you ride them.

Comment

Tried the Nano in clean waist high conditions. It's not the board for me. Was wishing I had the V2.
                  The main difference for me is the position of the gas pedal on the two boards. Found it naturally every time on the V2 but just felt awkward on the Nano.

Comment

If the V2 feels right, go for that! Everyone surfs a little differently, so just because the Nano may work well for some, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be your cup of tea as well.

Comment

Yeah Josh, glad my local shop has plenty of demo boards. It's easy to make an expensive mistake.

Comment

BFILK, do they make a V2 in 6'4 or are you looking at a p/u version? I am 215 as well,and would be interested in a V2 6'4 fst.

Comment

I don't think there is a 6'4 in FST. Certainly not listed anyway, maybe available custom. I would recommend a demo. I'm about the same weight as you and was worried about dropping to the 6'2 volume but in the end I was weighing up between the 6'2 and the 6'0. Went for the 6'2 but wish there was a 6'1 at 37L, that would be the magic stick for me.

Comment

Waist high is spud time. Most boards will go in punchy shoulder conditions IMHO.

Comment

The problem around here is that waist high is generally walled/steep and the Spud has been a real love/hate for me. Sometimes its magic and other times its very tempermental. I surf beach breaks in the afternoon and given the tide/condition changes I'm looking for more of a swiss army knife for sub shoulder high days where I can just grab one board and get by on it regardless. I was looking at a P/U version at 6'4, I don't think 6'2 is going to cut it for me. Perhaps even a Roberts White Diamond or something. I'm still on the hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X