X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Board - Is the V2 for me?

Cheers everyone! First let me say that I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this is an already debated thread. So, I'm currently looking to purchase a new board from the FireWire range. I already own a Hellfire 6'2" and I'm never going back to a PU board and most likely never going to purchase boards from any other manufacturer. I love the feel of FireWire boards and their durability is a major plus for those who really like to stick with that one magic board for ages, like myself. I'm 180cm tall and weigh 85kg, intermediate surfer who practices lots of sports. I've been riding my Hellfire most of the time, but I really feel that it excels on shoulder high surf and above, with tons of speed coming from the SA quad set that I have on it. On smaller surf and mushy waves I've been using a 5'7" CI Biscuit, which is now for sale. I felt that it was a bit too "stuck" not giving me enough freedom to take advantage of its short length. It felt bulky. I.m looking for something to replace the Biscuit, something that somehow becomes a step-down from the Hellfire but with the same loose and fast feel, something that transitions smoothly from one board to the other when the swell climbs or drops. Initially I was looking at the Spitfire, as I've loved the diamond tail on the Hellfire and the two seem to resemble (although the bottom of the two is quite different). I was looking at the Spitfire 5'10" at my local FireWire representative, and he told me that the V2 Rocket will be available at the shop soon. According to him it might be a better option for me than the Spitfire... I've read a lot of your threads here at the forum and I was hoping that you could shed some light on my dilemma. I'd love to hear your opinion on how these three boards relate with each other, how they overlap, etc... Last but not least: I'm from Portugal, so we have a lot of variety in terms of waves... From powerful beach break tubes to long, leg burning, reef breaks. I usually surf at a point break that works from gutless knee high to overhead, rarely but occasionally powerful depending on how the sand bar is shaped when the swell hits (so, as varied as it gets). Thanks in advance, Joćo

What about a Potatonator? Should cover your point break from gutless knee high up to the point you're jumping onto the Hellfire.

Comment

Hi Clutch! Thanks for your input. I'm a bit afraid of for the Potatonator and end up feeling the same as I did with the Biscuit: the board was to short for the volume and width it packed... Do you think that I'm overlapping the Hellfire too much with the Spit or V2 option? I'll drop by the surf shop this afternoon and see if they have a Potatonator that I can hold and "feel" (or even test-drive). Cheers!

Comment

V2 will cover punchy waist high to head high, so not too much overlap with the hellfire, but it won't work in mush. If you find the Potatonator too chunky you could try the Dominator. The tail width of the Dom should help it go in mush.

Comment

Do you find the Dominator to behave better in below average and average beach break and point break surf than the Spitfire? I'll probably have a chance to Demo the Dominator in 5'8" and 5'10" tomorrow. I'll see how that goes. Thanks for your help once again Clutch!

Comment

I haven't ridden a Dominator but have seen a few around here getting used in weak conditions. Wider tail than the Spit should help it go in mush.

Comment

Hi Clutch! So, today was the perfect day to Demo the Dom (5'10"). Weak conditions, windy onshore with knee to waist high. As bad as it gets here, before being absolutely unsurfable. The Dom made it surfable, and it felt absolutely right in terms of size, allowing for some pivoting even in the mushy sections. My mind is pretty much made and I'll be picking one up as soon as I manage to sell my old board. Thanks for your advice! Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X