Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little V4 video

My 5'8" V4, thruster setup in head high + surf
    great little board
    The sea has been red for 2 months with "red tide"...its been killing off all the shellfish and localised sea life fortunately theres been a few waves here and there…

Nice vid Deon
    I've watched almost all of your videos and without going back and watching them again - Do I see you getting a lot more out of this board than your others? by that I mean it seems to wrap around and come off the wash more in your cutbacks and the reos seem better as well.
    It's hard to tell from that POV but am I right in what I am saying?

Comment

hmmmmm
      you make a good point - good observations
      I've consciously worked on my cutbacks and am getting more wraparound effect - a technical flaw I had that I realized and am trying to correct
      so , I'm glad you noticed cause it means I'm on the right track
      Being only 5'8" it does get in and out of the pocket really quickly, so maybe the reos were a bit better than normal, and I tend to snap my turns a bit more rather than drive through them with the shorter rail
      I've found the vanguard (I surf a 5'4") to be an insane game changing board, whereas the V4 feels like a hybrid between the vanguard and a conventional board....def doesn't have the squirt and flow of the vanguard, but still fast and responsive

Comment

Nice vid mate. Interesting that the v4 sounds like it performs like more of a standard board, I didn't expect that. Being on a 508 V4 what weight are you?

Comment

justo
          I'd say halfway between a standard board and the vanguard
          the tail is prob not as wide and the rails aren't as parallel - there's def compromise in the outline from the vanguard in order to get the pointy nose in
          I weigh 85kgs - the 5'8" is just just buoyant enough for me in the decent waves I surf
          the 5'4" vanguard actually paddles better than the 5'8" V4

Comment

Man you surf low volume. You're running at 30L per 100kg. Most pros are at 35-36L per 100kg. Well it seems to work for you.

Comment

Looking good Deon! Have you felt up a 5'10 V4? Curious as to why you preferred the 5'8. I find the 5'6 vanguard way too big but the 5'10 V4 felt pretty good to me. I bet that 5'8 is a little rocket in good quality waves though.

Comment

I think a 5'9" woulda been ideal -the 5'10" felt a bit boxy to me...I think cause I surf quality waves I can get away with lower than normal volume too...but the 5'8" is one of my harder boards to catch waves with....the 5'10" was just too big imo
                These boards have a lot of lift, so you can surf them less buoyant than your stock standard
                IMO - I think firewires need to be surfed just on the brink of under buoyancy to get the full benefits of the flex

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear you on the boxiness. I like my boards 2.38" but I don't like that thickness in the rails. The trend with a lot of boards now seems to be keeping the rails full. I don't really get it. Maybe time to ride thinner boards? I expect a flatter deck allows a board to flex more, but I've always preferred the feel of a domed deck under foot. I have quite arched feet.
                  I checked out the Nano today, that's going to be another full railed board. The 5'4 x 18.25" x 2.25" felt like a good thickness to me but the rest of the board is too undersized for me. I'm going to demo the 5'6 but I expect it'll be too full in the rails for me.

• Deon JBay
                  Deon JBay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  be keen to hear your thoughts on the Nano Phil

yeah man ripping! love these vids.. head mount is great bc u can read the line along with the rider.. wish i had those quality waves on the regular

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree. I want to book a flight every time I see Deon's clips.

Awesome vid Deon. Have seen your vid before on Hellrazor as well and am trying to decide between the two boards as my HPSB.

If you had to pick between them, would you go V4 or HZ, or do you see them as suiting different style waves?

Comment

• Deon JBay
                  Deon JBay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  tough
                  I'm a little over my hellrazor at the moment
                  use my vanguard when its small, V4 when a bit bigger and then use my 6'0" alternator when its a bit overhead
                  battling to find a place to fit my hellrazor
                  they probably for similar waves

yeeeeeeeeeew... another vid full of stoke mate... !! .. guys, deon mentioned a good point here.. if you ride your boards too chunky then you get less flex response.. of course its easy for us to say go smaller when we surf clean peeling waves everyday..!! .. of course the payback for our perfect conditions is that i flounder in soupy beachbreaks and deon cant go left...!!! :)

Comment

• Deon JBay
                  Deon JBay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  haha
                  true that
                  although I think the vanguard you can ride pretty small, even in junk

yeah, the usual rules dont apply with the VG.. mine surfed knee high waves pretty much the way it surfed head high waves.. lft version should be here any time and i'm keen to see if its (5'6) still as magic now i'm down at 85KG... in contrast to you deon, even down from over 90kg to 85, the 510 v4 is only starting to feel big enough... the vg even at my old weight felt more than ample and felt like i could of gone 5'4 in clean waves...

Comment

Im 205 lbs and reall stuck between a 6.0 V$ or a 6.2 one. I have a 5.8 VG and love it until it gets sucky or shifty. I find pulling straight in off the drop on the VG difficult. The V4 at 6.0 is 1 ltr less volume and more pulled in at nose and tail. The V4 in 6,2 feels good lenghth wise but is so thick and wide I worry it will be too stiff. Anyone my size have a V4?

Comment

• core personal training
                    Editing a comment
                    i find the v4 surfs smaller than the vg... i would be happy going up a size... if you are on your minimum volume with the vg then you can get away with an upsize... at around your weight i was riding the 5'6 vg happily but the matching 5'10 v4 was too small unless the waves were glassy and perfect.... i've dropped to 85ish kg now and the v4 is still a little under sized in rough conditions.. the 6'0 would be better... so maybe that helps you gauge things better..?? .. on the flip side, deon is enjoying a relatively small v4...

Hey core you think the vanguard is appropriate as a semi step up? Im talking for head high up to anything i can get out in....

Comment

• core personal training
                    Editing a comment
                    depends what your stepping up from... from spud etc then for sure... from a flexfire, MB etc then not really, just another way to skin the cat.(a mind-blowing way tho..!!) and one i'm stoked with.. in really clean well over head stuff with loads of speed then the v4 would probably get the nod.. maybe.. .. i really want to go down the v4 step-up road.. a stretched out v4, maybe with the wide point not so far forward?? .. if your stepping up off a normal hperf board then the old step up formula is still the best route

Coming off my 509 chubby chedda. Which I do ride in overhead but start to feel its chubbiness becoming less of the help (and bag of fun) it is in mid size surf and more of a hinderence... I have been surfing pretty hard for a few years now but not much experience with different boards, have only owned the CC and a 508 spirits that was way overviluned and didn't click, before that a pretty standard pu hpsb and have ridden quite a few pu fish, hpsbs, mals etc... Loved BP I demoed and will lock that in as grovel board at 501. I'm around 68-70kg so 509 CC is quite floaty after getting a board either side might see how I feel about downsizing but for now it's good to have the volume and I have improved so much on it. It's a tough decision whether to go with a more classic hpsb shape which I kinda feel maybe I should "do my time" learning on ad could be more reliable in beasty surf?! Or go for a VG in the 501-504 kinda range. I did the design very appealing it makes a lot of sense to me from snowboarding sice I was young (similar ideas of length of effective edge(rail) etc)... Been hanging to go get a demo but my work car is waiting to get fixed STILL! Thanks for the input!

Comment

• core personal training
                    Editing a comment
                    hold off on the bp til you can demo the vg or even nano.. the waves have to really crap for me to not find some joy on the vg, and when its that bad who cares..!!.. the vg is soooooo fast in even slowish waves but still as high performance as anything.. i'm basically happy (no stoked) on it everyday.. if its huge then a small gun, but to be honest, i'm getting sooky these days and i just find something somewhere thats a bit tamer... stepping up off your cc you would dial in quicker to a normal board like a nice flexy pin etc... thats just my take of course... i'm thinking in terms of you having an easy transition to your step up.. when you go out in scarier stuff the last thing you want is to try and learn how to bottom turn an unfamiliar board with a liquid sledgehammer falling from above..!!

seem to have sidetracked a thread again... sorry deon :)
                Working...
                X