X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No love for the V4?

All- I recently purchased a Nano and the thing has been blowing my mind. Given my experience Im rethinking my quiver. I had originally wanted to add a VG to this mix but have recently had someone contact me about a V4. I should also add that Im beg/int and have never ridden a true HPSB. Will the V4 be a bad call for a virgin HPSB'er like me? My gut says to hold out for a VG but there is not alot of V4 posts here. Any advice?
    Last edited by BFILK; 04-21-2014, 08:23 PM.

There is plenty of love for the V4. You would probably have too much overlap with a VG and Nano. With a Nano and V4 you would have everything covered with the V4 going up to 2-21/2 overhead.
    VG and V4 are both high performance anyway. Both have the Tomo feel that you would be familiar with from the Nano but the V4 is more refined than the other 2. I have used the V4 down to waist high and works well but really feels at home from chest high up

Comment

• BFILK
      BFILK commented
      Editing a comment
      How about the "user friendliness" of the V4? I find the nano super friendly and I've heard the same for the VG (as compared to other HPSBs), but haven't heard anything about the V4 in that respect.

I recently got a 6'4 PD and a 6'6" V4 for a trip in Sept - loved my PD which I rode first but since I finally rode the V4 I just haven't been able to leave it behind. It was supposed to be my step up but I've been riding it in almost everything - I forced myself to take the PD out in some horrible wind slop the other day. The V4 has so much paddle and wave catching ability (42.2L!!) but still rides so nice -doesn't feel like I'm pushing a tank around :) They have an addictive feel - can't put my finger on it....

Comment

Thanks or your comments guys. Loving the stoke! piggo- totally know what you mean about that Tomo "feel" and its impossible to put into words. Did you get the RF/LFT/FST? The board I'm looking at is RF but all my other FW are FST, I'm concerned w/the durability of the RF in the V4 since it will be the board that is most likely to take a pounding given the type of surf I want to use it in. Is the V4 the only Tomo you've ridden piggo?

Comment

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I was thinking really appreciate the heads up!

• piggo
        piggo commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't want to be a wet blanket - haven't owned a RF but everyone I know who has owned one or two or three has snapped them in a week or a month. None of those guys will buy another one...
        I have FST boards - awesome! First FW I rode was an old Alt and straightaway I noticed the rebound flex out of a rail carve, bottom and top - sold!
        I did ride a 5'10 Vag in some sloppy waves a while back but didn't feel the love. Mate of mine who was riding a Vag almost exclusively just got a Nano and reckons he won't ride the Vag again. I can't comment on the Vag after one session in slop - some guys just LOVE 'em :)
        Last edited by piggo; 04-24-2014, 12:20 AM.

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx Piggo, I'm def leaning towards the V4 in FST. I love my Nano and I think the VG will be too much overlap as everyone is saying.

This has been covered before, but i ride rf in slabs no problem... Stu kennedy throws big airs no problem... The vast majority of buyers have no problem... I snapped an fst first duckdive without even riding it... Luck of the draw...... Full stop....

Comment

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        I see what you are saying Core, just seems like a much higher % of the boards I hear got creased are RF so if I'm going to play the odds I'd rather have the FST. Anyone heard anything about LFT vs RF in terms of durability?

I have both a Nano and a VG in the same volume and they are very different boards in many ways. The Nano turns quicker, handles steep drops better, more forgiving and fits in the pocket better. I will say the VG does go faster and with less effort but I don't consider that much of an advantage as the Nano can keep up very well on the speed dept.

Comment

Just a note on the tech thing, FST is exceptionally good at not buckling, a major reason why there isn't much chatter on that front.

Comment

On the score of user friendliness I think it is an easy board to ride though you have to keep it moving and know how to do some speed generation. For steep and hollow stuff it is not bad, the rails are nice and sensitive with plenty of bite so you can take off on a steep drop and take a high line trajectory and get yourself moving down the line very quickly. Or you can even get off, whereas I find on some boards without really good bite in the rail you are forced to take the drop and if it closes out you've got a bit of paddling to look forward to. The V4 gives you a bit more control and gets you going across the face faster so you can decide whether you (A) take the drop (B) continue down the line or (C) get off. Of course the hollower it gets the more options B & C disappear.

Then of course is the looseness and its tight turning capabilities. It's not a board for a beginner but I can't see it being too hard for intermediates onwards.

Comment

Working...
          X