X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waves best for v4

hi, was wanting to know if the v4 still performs in less than perfect waves, and if it will surf well in beach breaks. i love the look of this board but cant find a demo or used board. need some advice.
    cheers

i've been riding it everyday for 6 months (or since whenever the VG broke??).. ..vg great in everything with an expert touch needed when slabby or huge.. v4 easier in slabby or huge as long as its smooth but requires finesse in flat or bumpy stuff... both are winners... vg has built in speed in average stuff, v4 needs you to generate the speed...

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the quick response. When you say you have to generate your own speed, how does that compare to a regular hpsb? And does the v4 still turn as critical as a hpsb?

Comment

the vg will fly forward even if you stand still..!!.. the v4 needs you to pump and drive the same as a normal hi-perf board...(like a fast one tho).. turns more critically than the curviest rockered board because its so short but with more glide and speed... full performance that will keep that up as the waves get worse...best of both worlds... so is the vg tho......

Comment

sweet, just what i wanted to hear. thats enough for me to put an order in, just one last question LFT or FST? leaning towards LFT just for the fact that i havent tried it out yet.

Comment

thats a personal thing really... i'm a rapidfire guy so would replace mine in lft, like i am with the vg... if you like the fst experience then stick with it.. the rapidfire/lft feel is a more direct/snappy flex and lighter.. the fst is heavier(but still light) with a softer more dampened flex... usually, lighter guys like the fst and us heavier guys get a more lively spring from rapidfire... but thats just a generalization.. both make conventional boards old news....

Comment

note to self.. take feet off V4 when dropping into a dry ledge... Attachment

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                Doh! Round her off into a 5'7"!!

or square it off into a super hi-perf vanguard...!!.. short term I'll just gloop solarez all over it and hope it doesn't wobble enough to crack the resin... i dont like working with glass and sanding dust...

Comment

• Sarge
                Sarge commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh no!
                And thanks for the tip on how to avoid this happening once mine arrives.

My V4 goes great in good size waves that are smooth and glassy. It's not a great performer in onshore mush. I've ridden mine in double overhead and it was a pure delight. It turns as tightly as you want and holds in. I've done some ridiculous turns that other boards would have just popped straight out of the wave. Others have been into an off balance awkward position - no problem just turn it back under your feet and regain composure. This board, I've found probably more so than the VG lets you go anywhere you want on the wave even to the stupidest spots! Mine is back in for repairs. This is my second crease http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...fetch?id=45580

Comment

• core personal training
                Editing a comment
                oh no slow... :( .. yeah it loves anything glassy... so in messy waves are you feeling a lack of volume like me.? particularly up front.? just woke up frothing to dust off the hellfire and its flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...!! .. damn offshores...

watch for cyclists....you may miss one.....

• Slowman
                Slowman commented
                Editing a comment
                Tarry not with me about my 2 wheeled brethren Core, for they and I are one in dirt surfing :) plus it does wonders for leg strength! Ha bet you're glad they don't hold that mega triathlon fest called IM up there anymore. When doof doof comes to town and meets 50s Rockabilly head on!

Yeah I think it is both the harder rails and the lack of volume and less area in the tail than say the VG. Though the VG can handle a bit of mush a little better. My 6'0 HF I am riding as the replacement for the V4 while it's being fixed and amazingly it is doing pretty good in the bump and chop and it's only 0.4L more (31.9L cf 31.5L in the 6'0 V4). The rails are softer and don't seem to get as caught on the bump.

The 6'2 at 33.7L is good for mush but it really lacks the edge control of the V4 and even the 6'0 HF. I've had to put slightly bigger fins in to fine tune that (KR JP-Q4s). I'm pretty happy with the 6'0 HF with less volume it sits better in the wave but still has enough to paddle well enough. I surfed it in 2' beachies Sunday and had a ball. They were slightly fat waves on take off then hitting a pretty savage shoredump in places. My HF love is rekindled!
                Last edited by Slowman; 06-25-2014, 07:39 AM.

Bummer, not replacing with FST or new tech flex?

Comment

• Slowman
                Slowman commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm thinking about it. Though for now I'm getting it repaired. The local shaper fixes FWs and he fixed the last crease invisibly. I'm almost wondering if I should get him to put another layer of glass on it!

• Slowman
                Slowman commented
                Editing a comment
                As it turns out I just picked up a near new FST V4, only surfed once, wax still clean and no sign of any impressions on the deck for a little more than half price. Happy camper.

Anyone want a 6'0 V4 in rapidfire? :)

bicyclists... more colourful spandex than a mardi-gras float... not that there's anything wrong with that..!!

just heard there was a small clean hellfire wave at a spot i frequent... shoulda made the journey... will go tomorrow.. and undoubtedly hear "ya shoulda been here yesterday"...

i reckon i'd enjoy a 6'0 HF now... a little more to push up off with nearly as much, or as much performance

Comment

• core personal training
                Editing a comment
                OH HELLFIRE YES... after a long separation it felt like we had never been apart... had new thick powerful wedgey (albeit windy) growing swell at my private beach...straight out of the gates the dusted off hellfire drove hard backhand off the bottom on those perfectly matched SA3's and belted an inverted reo with late buried landing and out into another bottom turn... yeeeeeeeeew.!!!

after all the hard work i put it through including the beltings on reefs, and the constant handing out for demo's over years now, it still surfs as lively and fresh as the day it was made with my footwells bedded in and nothing else...gotta love light and direct rapidfire... try that with a normal "non firewire" board...

• Slowman
                Slowman commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't know, men in neoprene making fun of men in lycra - has an air of kettle black about it, don't you think? :D

Hey guys, wondering if you still feel the Tomo cool aid with this board. I've a BP for slop and am going DA for a more refined version but am thinking this board for top end. I've a trusty beautiful absolutely wonderful EF for in between fromage as well.

Comment

That cool aid never gets old. If you threw in a V4 to top off your quiver, you will be a happy camper.

Comment

Thanks Josh. Would you consider this a VG with a nose?

Comment

Essentially yes, but the outline of the V4 is more suited for bigger surf. Where the VG maxs out, the V4 will go even further. I've found that if I'm dropping in on something steep with the VG and your feet aren't in the proper spot on the board, you can catch your inside corner at the nose. The more standard nose shape of the V4 helps avoid this problem in heavy, steep waves.

Comment

• Slowman
                      Slowman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It can happen even with your feet in the right place, the trick is to not try and bury the rail line too quickly on take off, that is you can't angle it too much. The V4 of course doesn't have the problem as you say.
                  Working...
                  X