Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great feedback here! Chris, you told me to buy a 5'4" so if I have a heart attack trying to catch a Florida waist-slappin' crumbler on the damned thing then well ... I guess my dying thought will be, should have gotten the 5'06"! I have erred on the side of volume with each and every Firewire I have purchased. At first it seemed like a good idea that is until I bought the FHZ 5'11". The guy I buy these through told me to buy the 6'1" and I decided to throw caution to the wind and buy the 5'11". It turned out to be the very best decision, albeit by chance, I could have made. It is the best performing board I have ever owned. Of course that's probably by chance as well but that's beside the point. If I wanted to cruise I wouldn't be considering buying a Vanguard right?

Comment

I'm the same size as you Live4truth see above.

Comment

Hi guys, another size question!!! I am a dominator fan, i have a 5`6`` wich i have been riding all the time for the last 3 years or so... You can check my albun to see the kind of waves i ride mostly all the time, 2 to 4 ft. i am 5`7 with 145 lbs and am considering a vanguard 5`4``.
        Am i right? I consider my self as fitted physically and intermediated/advanced surfer.
        Best regards to you all...
        Last edited by Citrino; 01-23-2013, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Hey K2,

Thanks for the perspective...definitely helpful. Last time I bought anything close to a board that was 18" wide was a 6'5" step up... and that is what keeps hanging me up when looking at the board size vs. volume. I know the volume is close to what I would likely ride--a bit under, but relatively close (pending a dump-a-roo pre-surf or a full/ss suit). Regardless, looking at the board, and reading about the design principles behind it, the nose dims have to be around 15" and the tail a bit wider. If that's the case, I won't have a problem with the 5'4".

BTW...K2 did you order the board at this point? If you have it in hand...if you wouldn't mind (unless Chris hooks us up)...could you measure the board at at the nose and then 12" nose and tail. I just want to confirm what I assume... Feb. 5 is when I finish up a pretty intense work schedule...after that...I'm heading to the shop to order up. Wifey was shooting me looks yesterday when I mentioned I am ordering...I'll buy her flowers the day I bring the board home ;-)

Comment

So...don't buy on a size that is your chin height, my average size board holds 35L, so on that I'd need a 5'10? I think this is where custom shapes come into play. I'd rather have a shorter board but with more thickness. The longer the length the longer the rail line on these boards...I think your conflicting the point of the board in the first place as its supposed to be ridden short, but with the volume tucked away.

Comment

DK,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you...realistically I think volume wise I fall I between both the 5'4" and 5'6" (a custom would probably be the ideal route--but I do like the feel of a parabolic ). Further, yea thickness is a factor, but really I focus on the overall foil of a board- 2 1/4" isn't always 2 1/4"--hence the volume emphasis of Chris above. Looking at some of DTs other shapes his foil seems a bit fuller...nose to tail. So in my mind getting a better sense of the overall dimensions would give me perspective on the area of the planing surface in the nose...given the parallel rails I'm sure it's wide but I'm game for that and think it will compliment the height/width factor.

To be honest, my last board was the only one I bought otr. Usually, I can manage these types of question whether by looking at a similar board, talking w a friend who owns one, etc. there is nothing like the vanguard and therefore I want to be really informed prior to dropping a bunch of money on a board. So hence the really specific questions. I started calling some local shops and hoping one of them has one of these boards to look at it. If I can get a tape on one ill post up some dims...

Thanks for the help and perspective...I do appreciate it!

Comment

I think it's something like 11" nose 12" tail at the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                  I think it's something like 11" nose 12" tail at the tips.
                  Hey PR,

Thanks...definitely helpful.

Comment

That's by no means fact, but I think I read something along those lines on another forum.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      That's by no means fact, but I think I read something along those lines on another forum.
                      No problem...I'm sniffing around and will find one eventually and post up some dims. Nose and tail at the tips makes sense, but I'll keep searching. Thanks for the help though...

Comment

for our Sydney lovers of this board - The yound guy at Cronulla Surf Design tells me the 3 newest models are about to land any day now - he said the Vanguard, the Cubby Chedda and wasn't sure of the third but thought Unibrow sounded right.

Comment

woohoo that means my board is arriving!

Comment

I was in my local surf shop yesterday and they had a bunch of CCs, 3 Vanguards, and a 5'10" Unibrow.
                            They all look so good, I cant decide which three I should get!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
                              I was in my local surf shop yesterday and they had a bunch of CCs, 3 Vanguards, and a 5'10" Unibrow.
                              They all look so good, I cant decide which three I should get!
                              Hey Sarge, just curious how the 6'0" Mini Driver is going for you?
                              we are similar age and weight.

Comment

Only had a handful of surfs so far and all under head-high so still working it out, but liking it more each time. It certainly prefers shoulder high more than waist,(will be grabbing the dominator at this wave size now that test has been done) and so far it is much better as a thruster to get that push off the bottom of the wave and into the lip, where it releases really nicely / easily.
                                Looking forward to this weekend's expected increase in swell.

Comment

Working...
                                X