X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skill set to ride vanguard?

Just curious how much of a radical departure the vanguard is ride-wise compared to the performance hybrid line of firewires...
    I have a 6'0 spitfire that works great for waist to chest... (I'm 6'3 and 210lbs) intermediate/advanced ability....
    The 5'10 vanguard has me curious...
    Wondering if the ride will be similar from a skill set perspective...

Tomo himself reckons anyone can ride them. What Stu Kennedy said was it took some time to figure the board out and once Tomo told him to let the board do its thing more it clicked.

Comment

Picking up mine on Friday!!! can't wait, unfortunately forecast calls for 0-1ft waves...who cares the 1000Kms roundtrip!!! need to get my ass in the water nonetheless

Comment

Hoping you get a little more swell Iggy yew!

Comment

I was thinking the same thing lanyj. I saw an interview with Stu Kennedy and he reckoned his old boards weren't working for him. And jumped on the Tomo and hasn't looked back. The sizing is always going to be a personal choice. I really fancy one and would properly go a 5,6 as I am 70kgs 5,7 inter to advanced. I can't wait to here how Iggy gets on with his.

Comment

Hey pmorgan, I'm 70kgs, 5'8", intermediate & I rode stu kenedy's 5'2" Vanguard. I told him I thought I should prob also try the 5'4" just to compare but he said that for my statistics, the 5'2" would be the size I should ride! Something to think about I guess.
            Originally posted by pmorgan View Post
            I was thinking the same thing lanyj. I saw an interview with Stu Kennedy and he reckoned his old boards weren't working for him. And jumped on the Tomo and hasn't looked back. The sizing is always going to be a personal choice. I really fancy one and would properly go a 5,6 as I am 70kgs 5,7 inter to advanced. I can't wait to here how Iggy gets on with his.

Comment

if u can surf, no problem

Comment

Originally posted by megsy View Post
                Hey pmorgan, I'm 70kgs, 5'8", intermediate & I rode stu kenedy's 5'2" Vanguard. I told him I thought I should prob also try the 5'4" just to compare but he said that for my statistics, the 5'2" would be the size I should ride! Something to think about I guess.
                Wow I cant imagin riding a 5,2 surfboard. How was it compaired to a standard PU board or when you say you would like to try the 5,4 for a comparsion did it not feel tiny...?

Comment

Wow I cant imagin riding a 5,2 surfboard. How was it compaired to a standard PU board or when you say you would like to try the 5,4 for a comparsion did it not feel tiny...?
                  Oh i just reilised you have a 508 HELFIRE I went for a 5,10 because of the rubber we ware here in UK. How did the vanguard compair to the HF.

Comment

I'd say anyone can ride one. Go with your normal firewire volume. I weigh 170 so I a 5'4" was on the small side of volume and the 5'6 was a touch on the full side of my volume norm. I went with the 5'6 and I am stoked.

I feel like I catch waves just as easy as on any hybrid shortboard... I have had 5'8" hellfire, 5'6" spitfire, 5'8" dominator (this is a little easier to catch waves on but its 31 Litres too)

with the width of the VG in the nose it is visually different at first but it paddles great and really goes down the line fast...turns amazing.

TOMO= SMART

Comment

And that extra area on the nose gives you all the confidence when paddling

Comment

I've been riding a demo 502 VG for the last 3 days in 2ft, weak, sloppy waves. It's been an effort to paddle onto theses kind of waves, where as I reckon my SP or PN would have been more suited. They would get into the waves a lot earlier but the VG seems to get held up in the lip of the wave for a bit. Once it comes off the bottom it can go, but being held up in the wave on the take-off sometimes puts you behind the section & challenging to get around & out in front. I hope it will perform better in different conditions & I'm sure it will, but the forecast for tomorrow in Sydney looks dismal & then unfortunately I give the board back to the shop the following day. So, I haven't made a definitive decision on the VG in the conditions that I've surfed it in...more testing required in better conditions!
                        Oh i just reilised you have a 508 HELFIRE I went for a 5,10 because of the rubber we ware here in UK. How did the vanguard compair to the HF.

Comment

If I can surf it, anyone can. Much easier than a normal high performance shape of the same volume, by a long way.

Comment

Hi all, sorry to bring this subject again but I have just ordered my VG 5'8" - 32.2L.

From what I have seen here, I am confused a worried about my choice.

I have 82 kg (37yrs) and intermediate skill level and ride the Michel Bourez pro model with 29.9L. The VG 5'6" is 28.8L and Inwas concerned about the paddling and getting into the wave...

Should I keep my choice or change it.

Many thanks in advance

Comment

Filipe it all depends on every case. In mine, I'm 87Kgs today (whatever the scale says) and got myself a 5'6". Used to ride 30lts boards I was a little apprehensive about going down in volume, but the shape of the board is so unique that it allows to paddle surprisingly well despite this fact. The wider nose and overall rail line, mixed with the volume distribution allows fo the board to float really well.
                              If you want to play safe the 5'8" will do the job.Remember this board excel on better waves. But the board floats me plenty even on a 6/4suit with all the trimmings

Comment

Working...
                              X