X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'10 or 6'0'' vanguard

I love the look of the new vanguard i cant choose which size to go for the 5'10'' or the 6'0'' i ride day to day a 5'10'' sp and a 5'11'' bp that go insane for me i mostly ride my bp any ideas ?
    Last edited by antonlongman; 02-21-2013, 02:31 AM.

Whats your eight and height, antonlongman?

For reference, I am 6'3 and 210lbs in full wintergear (195lbs in boardies) and got a 5'10. Wearing a 6/5/4 with boots and gloves really adds weight and restricts movement. Haven't been able to test it yet, but pretty sure that it is the right size.

I would probably go for a 5'8, If I was wearing boardies or a 3/2 all year.

Comment

I'm 5'10'' tall and weigh 200 pounds in boardies.

Comment

We are almost the same weight and I am pretty sure that I would pick the 5'8 as an all rounder, but guess it comes down to the waves you will be surfing and your preferred amount of volume.
        I usually have about 32-33L in my boards when I am in boardies or a 3/2-4/3 wettie.

Comment

i went 5'10, but cud've done 5'8 or maybe 5'6. No demos here and i know i cud resell real easy. i like the 5'10 though w big skews. i"m still developing my small board skills, but the board is pretty easy to move.

Comment

yeah 508 or 510 depending on waves, fitness and preference. i am inclined, however, to say the 510 would be better at 200lbs. I am 175-180ish and ride the 506s....

Comment

I am 200 lbs and a 42 yrs old and have surfed the 5'10" once in sloppy 1-2 foot but pretty confident to say its the right size for me. It paddles well with the wide nose but can tell it needs a little push to get on then it accerates well. Prefer the durability of FST so really do hope they do it in this model. Looking forward to surfing it again hopefully this weekend its lookin on.

Comment

All the variables. I am 195 lbs, 6'1" but 55 yrs old. The 602 is in the mid range ar 43 litres, comparing my 606 potatonator and 609 activator which are both fantastic. Was willing to risk too much volume rather than struggle with not enough. When checking stock levels at my local, they tell me they have a brand new 600 as demo. Sign me up! What's better than waxing a new stick especially one of these knowing I can keep it or hand it back after a 4 day weekend. I am frothing!! Even looking forward to paddling it out as the old fart in the break on the most radical design out there. Pressure to perform.

Comment

@Denchy- nothing wrong being the old guy. I do a full shave about 3-5 times a year. when my beard grows out its as white as it gets. a year ago, this kid paddles up and says "how's the waves Uncle?". i thought "Uncle?". i wasn't pissed, but that boy(23yrs+) didnt catch a single wave next to me. i luv it when people paddle up and think "wow. im just going to sit next to the old dude and snake him." then the realization that they don't paddle as well as me sets in and they go play on the inside sets in. lol. i luv it. old dudes rock!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
                    @Denchy- nothing wrong being the old guy. I do a full shave about 3-5 times a year. when my beard grows out its as white as it gets. a year ago, this kid paddles up and says "how's the waves Uncle?". i thought "Uncle?". i wasn't pissed, but that boy(23yrs+) didnt catch a single wave next to me. i luv it when people paddle up and think "wow. im just going to sit next to the old dude and snake him." then the realization that they don't paddle as well as me sets in and they go play on the inside sets in. lol. i luv it. old dudes rock!!!
                    You guys need to stop it with the OLD GUYS BS. I am 42 and probably fitter and more gung ho than I ever was at 17....I have to work at it harder now and dont recover as quick but still act like I am 17 not 42 and I seriously dont feel old. So..given Kelly is 41 ...is anyone going to call him OLD or UNCLE, lol. I think not. Age is a state of mind.

Comment

It IS a state of mind! Surfing better now than in my twenties. Their attitude changes so quick when you shower them with spray on a big cuttie. You get a lot more space out the back. Can't wait for the reaction with the Vanguard, hopefully show em some fins if i can work it out

Comment

Originally posted by Denchy View Post
                        It IS a state of mind! Surfing better now than in my twenties. Their attitude changes so quick when you shower them with spray on a big cuttie. You get a lot more space out the back. Can't wait for the reaction with the Vanguard, hopefully show em some fins if i can work it out
                        Wisdom... I believe we are several on that "getting wiser" boat. I do also take more time to enjoy waves lately!

Comment

I'm still a Grom at 51 and have as much fun now as ever. I'm with Fan I tell my kids I've just hit middle age and am probably fitter than alot of 17 year olds, Move it or lose it I say, go hard or go home!! Iggy's right on with enjoying our waves more though, any day in the surf is better than a day at work. Age is definitely a state of mind, with age comes experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Denchy View Post
                            Could be that the boards these days are so much better than the ones you rode in your 20s! I surf better than I surfed in my teens and early 20s, like I can do manoeuvres now that I could not do back then and I think it is improved board design that is responsible for most of it, at least, in my case. Relative to my peers I think I was better back then.

Ah what am I talking about? Don't question the stoke!

Comment

Big thanks to all the posative advice i've been getting going to get the 5'10'' for sure, as far as age go's i'm a better surfer at 37 than i was when i was 17 one kelly slater is solid proof of that .

Comment

Working...
                              X