Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard paddling comparison

alohaz!

Does anyone have a 5'8" Hellfire and can provide comparison to the Vanguard (either 5'4" or 5'6") as far as paddling out, duck diving, and catching waves? I only surf maybe 1-2 times a month so i really struggle on my 5'2" Dominator. My 5'8" Hellfire is a bit easier.

Mahaloz, looking at the Vanguard for my next board...

I cant say comparison wise, but its an easy board to move in all 3 aspects.

Comment

i'll have the 506 to compare anytime now... i ride the 510 hf but know the 508 too...

Comment

@core, i'd really like to hear how the 5'6 works for u. i like the 5'10, but know i cud go smaller if i only use it at 3'-4'.

Comment

Yeah definitely let us know how your 5'6" goes, i love surfing my 5'2" dominator but use up a lot of energy just paddling out and catching waves. On a decent size wave the board is awesome (with Controller fins).

mahaloz!

Comment

will do guys...wont be long....

come on Raz, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD... ETC... ha ha...

Comment

Not a Hellfire, but the 5'8 Spitfire paddles much quicker than the 5'6" Vanguard. The Vanguard felt like a slow paddler to me despite having more volume than most of my other boards. Maybe just down to the mixed up rippy conditions I tried it in?
              It also had a lot more resistance when duck diving due to the wide nose shape, but certainly wasn't a hard board to duck dive. I felt like I was getting hung up on the top of waves until they actually got steep. It could be just because the waves were 8 second period wind swell, mixed up and weak or it could be due to the board being on top of the water and not down in the waves energy because of the higher than normal volume.

Hopefully I'll get to surf it in decent waves at the end of this week and feel out how it actually rides and then decide whether I want to downsize to the 5'4 or if I'm happy with how the 5'6 goes. I reckon the thickness distribution in the foil and rails is similar to a Hellfire or the same thickness though.

Comment

yeah prj get it in more decent conditions.... I personally feel it paddles well for a HP board, when say compared to a Michel or Alternator or something. I have ridden it in decent shortboarding conditions and find it gets in with little effort. I do agree, however, when it goes mushy, small, and soft its a tough one. My first session on it was in bad waves and I didn't like it. Its a great groveler, but the waves, in my opinion, have to be a bit cleaner/punchier...

Cheers!

Comment

Got it in better conditions today. Took the Potato in on some waist + fun runners and after a couple of hours a little pulse starting coming through about shoulder high, sheet glass and hollow off the take off. The spud was still going well but figured I'd kick myself if I didn't try the VG.
                  Did the run around to the car park and switched boards, a bit of a trek.

By now I was pretty tired and the low tide meant a lot of closeouts, but the VG got into waves nicely. Felt a bit twitchy after being on the Potato. Anyway didn't really get a good one on it. One late, through the lip reo on a closeout but no opportunity for an open face turn which is what I really wanted to feel it out with.
                  Found myself catching rail on bottom turns a bit though. Obviously going to take some adjustment. I hope I'm not too front footed for it.
                  By the time I started feeling it out the pulse had died off again and I was freezing having been in at least 3 hours.

Until next time!

Comment

I take vg 5,8 like a every day board,hope to not get wrong instead of a unibrow.i use the potato just for knee hi.and fw 6,2steatlh quad for overhead.the vg should cover those playful waves between one and the other.testing my vg on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      yeah prj get it in more decent conditions.... I personally feel it paddles well for a HP board, when say compared to a Michel or Alternator or something. I have ridden it in decent shortboarding conditions and find it gets in with little effort. I do agree, however, when it goes mushy, small, and soft its a tough one. My first session on it was in bad waves and I didn't like it. Its a great groveler, but the waves, in my opinion, have to be a bit cleaner/punchier...

Cheers!
                      I hear ya!!!! went through that mysql.Still waiting for some good ones

Comment

Thanks for feedback all. I guess it seems like more time is needed before folks can get more/better feedback as the board is fairly new. I'm not in a real rush at the moment to get a new board, but would appreciate any new updates on the Vanguard and how it compares to other firewires.

Comment

the VG seems more delicate due to shape and RF, but i dont think anybody purchases boards to baby them. run em till its broke. too me tho. if ur daily driver lasts longer than 6 mos, u win. although i dont think mine will make it that far, but hopefully it'll b in FST soon,

Comment

Have a 5'4 vanguard and a 5'8 hellfire and I feel like the vanguard paddles a bit better and gets into waves a bit easier. It's also a bit better groveler. To me the hellfire feels a bit more like a traditional high performance board than the vanguard. Vanguard is a pretty high performance board though.

Comment

Tre, wow that is awesome that the 5'4 vanguard paddles better than the 5'8 hellfire....but the question now is, should i go for the 5'4 now or wait until the 5'5 comes out to get a little bit more floatation????

How would you compare the 5'4 vanguard to the 5'4 potatonator (paddle-wise)?

Comment

Working...
                              X