Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attachment
    Attachment

This board has become an instant favourite of mine... Now I'm gonna have to look for a good home for my spitfire since I have the sweet and the pnator...
    Attached Files

Comment

AMAZING photos and analyzing iggy! Man that water must be COLD. You're just like me....... hate the "plain jane" white boards and ALWAYS do some kind of artwork on her deck to give her some pizzazz and spice.

Comment

Yeah well right now we are getting into spring. Water cold due to iceberg melting, but outside temp is nice and cozy... 6C
        You are right, cant keep my boards mono toned, but this one has some color using Waxy Wax. Wait til you get the Vanguard, you are going to freak!!!

Comment

Now that is what I call "Glassy"!!!

Comment

But the face was pretty bumpy!!

Comment

Originally posted by PokerSurfer View Post
              Myles I love how Firewire pioneered the whole "cl" gauging, look around now EVERYONE is on the bandwagon! Found by experimenting in the past with other Firewires my "comfort zone" rating. Just sold my unfortunate "undersized" beautiful custom 5'2" Tomo and ordered a 5'4" Firewire Vanguard online, will give a FULL report when she arrives!

Cheers -- PS
              Hey PS! Long time no chat...I got pretty busy with "life stuff" outside of FWs & surfing at Diamond Head. Sometimes (for whatever personal or "influential" reasons) we make a choice with going outside of what I'll call our "volume sweet spot." My "sweet spot's" pretty close to yours. I've learned (the hard way) to NOT go 1.0 CL below my ideal volume...On the other hand going OVER 1.0 CL is not too terrible (because you can still catch waves).

I'm looking forward to the day that the Vanguard becomes part of the CBD program, where my ideal size would probably be in the 5-0 to 5-2 range and the volume would be 25.0 liters, and I'd definitely go FST model vs RF.

Aloha, Myles.

Comment

Another fun one today
                Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Note on the last picture how half of the nose is pearling but somehow it comes right out of the water... rocker and single concave magic combined with those little channels!!!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by iggy; 04-05-2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by iggy; 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Iggy that is SO cool! GREAT tool for analyzing as well. That spray looks so surreal!

Comment

Myles you are so SPOT ON regarding your assessment on volume....... my 5'2 was @ 22.7 cl which no matter how much I tried to convince myself, it just wasn't happening. The paddling aspect was a workout and a half and the fact that riding it at times I felt I couldn't go full force or the rail would dig in and slow me down. I rode my old 5'10 Alternator @ 25.9 cl ironically equivalent to the 5'4 Vanguard and I remember it did have a little too much foam for my liking hence the sale which brings me to next year's customs and other sizes of interest that I will be taking full advantage of for sure.

Comment

Thanks buddy. Our little "test bench" of a wave uphere is pretty good cause it allows us to test different boards under very similar conditions throughout the year

Comment

hey iggy what kinds of ripcurl wetsuit are u rocking?? how do u like it? warm? worn xcels forever but their new lining gives me a weird rash for some reason! sucks.. tried on a ripcurl ebomb and it fits me better then the xcels but am wondering about warmth especially with the lining (ebomb)

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                            hey iggy what kinds of ripcurl wetsuit are u rocking?? how do u like it? warm? worn xcels forever but their new lining gives me a weird rash for some reason! sucks.. tried on a ripcurl ebomb and it fits me better then the xcels but am wondering about warmth especially with the lining (ebomb)
                            Hey kdroping, right now I have the 6/4 Flashbomb and it is pretty warm, I use and abuse that one during the whole winter. As we get through spring the insulator 5/4 comes into place and from then on we start thinning out.
                            One thing I have found though is that the thicker the gloves the harder it is to paddle. Call me crazy but I have spent most of the winter wearing 2mm ripcurl 5 fingers gloves and, although cold, my fingers were not frozen. Trick is before pitting them on (same for boots) you poor some hot water in them, the hot water layer will prevent the cold water to get in rapidly and will allow your fingers and feet to transition towards cold water more gradually hence generating heat more progressively to keep them warm... Anyhow that's the excuse I have not wear anything thicker jejeje. Boots I have a 7mm ripcurl flashbomb as well, and although warm and comfy, I dont like them that much. The fact tht they are a bit pointy gets n the was when you are popping up and slide your front foot. I like better the Xcell bamboo ones, more squaretip...my old ones got lost at some point

Comment

I have tried many wetsuit brands in the past and for my body frame I find RipCurl fits me the best. Also really flexible warm and light

Comment

thanks! yeah the ripcurls seem to fit me the best but i've just worn the xcels because they are so warm.. although a bit heavy.. might try them out and work them into my rubber rotation.. flashbombs seem nice but i've read they aren't as warm.. u surfing icebergs would know though

Comment

Working...
                                X