Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checked with nn66's daughter... IT IS HIS ROOM.... :p

nn66 DOMINATED that foam...throwin' spray....yeeeeeeeeeeeew

WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD,*WHERE'S MY VANGUARD.... ETC

Comment

Hahaha.

Nice stick nn66

Comment

Hey Myles, u sure that wave was your only misdemeanor? Tony Moniz is a gentleman, and superb surfer, u must have ticked him off somehow? Iv'e surfed with him at Raglan and Piha [nz] and in Hawaii.He took us to a few local spots and showed us the ropes at big first time Sunset in the early 90's when a friend and I were hanging with him. Biggest surf I will ever experience in my life, I can still remember the noise the peak made when it hit the base of the wave. Got a few medium ones tho, managed to avoid getting totally cleaned up as well which I am still grateful for! I believe his daughter is now a top long-boarder?

Comment

@Phila, i dont think Myles meant it like that, but town breaks get super crowded and when the boys r out, u cant get blown off a set wave and expect to get another chance. tony is an awesome guy and believes in his "Faith" and iconic figure from Hawaii Kai to the North Shore, but he still wud b anpther surfer out on a crowded day w his crew' just imagine being the guy on a new board w pros in the water at 4'-6' town and catch the big 6' bomb coming in and getting tossed like a nub down the face. i know i'd b laughing and then saying "okay. he's done. i can take off on that guy all day". lol.

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
            @Phila, i dont think Myles meant it like that, but town breaks get super crowded and when the boys r out, u cant get blown off a set wave and expect to get another chance. tony is an awesome guy and believes in his "Faith" and iconic figure from Hawaii Kai to the North Shore, but he still wud b anpther surfer out on a crowded day w his crew' just imagine being the guy on a new board w pros in the water at 4'-6' town and catch the big 6' bomb coming in and getting tossed like a nub down the face. i know i'd b laughing and then saying "okay. he's done. i can take off on that guy all day". lol.
            totally agree!! haha!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
              Hey Myles, u sure that wave was your only misdemeanor? Tony Moniz is a gentleman, and superb surfer, u must have ticked him off somehow? Iv'e surfed with him at Raglan and Piha [nz] and in Hawaii.He took us to a few local spots and showed us the ropes at big first time Sunset in the early 90's when a friend and I were hanging with him. Biggest surf I will ever experience in my life, I can still remember the noise the peak made when it hit the base of the wave. Got a few medium ones tho, managed to avoid getting totally cleaned up as well which I am still grateful for! I believe his daughter is now a top long-boarder?
              Fokai was right on da button Piha...I personally know Tony & Tammy Moniz (my company does biz with their surf school company). They have a strong Christian belief (thus the name Faith Surfing School) and they're true ambassadors of Hawaii surfing and Aloha. No disrespect toward Tony by mentioning him in the same paragraph with JBG. If I were to ask to Tony about that day all he would remember was that it was super good, and super CROWDED. I'm not the guy who harbors grudges when someone unintentionally drops in on me.

As Fokai pointed out, we've all been out on days at our homebreak where a good one comes to some "random guy" who blows a set wave or a really good one, and pretty much he's gonna have all the "boys" looking to paddle under him to make sure it doesn't happen twice. Although I don't think that was the case that day...Tony just went probably because he thought I was too deep.

Although that day was not memorable...How's that saying go? "Worst day surfing beats the best day at work..."

Comment

the Moniz family is what surfing in Hawaii generation after generation is about. JBG on the other hand has come a long way as far as temperment is concerned. at least i dont see him on the freeway calling out random people w road rage. how humbling is that when ur one of the most aggressive people in the world and give surf lessons in Waikiki. I've known him since i was a kid and never had any problems w him cus our families r close, but that still didn't make any difference when he wanted to drop in. lol. man i'm old, but hes older. lol

Comment

Rode my new 6'2" Vanguard over the last 3 days what a board it absolutely exceeded and expectations I every imagined. The board performed the best in 3-4ft point break waves it has so much speed with great transition into all types and turns, goes vertical with ease, cutbacks are a breeze I just can't believe it it like cheating its that easy to ride. I think the board will easily handle 6ft "12ft faces with ease". I rode it in in various beach breaks from 2-4ft and once again no complaints.You do get lots of questions in a good way, people can't believe the board actually works so well I got some great feedback. If you are thinking of getting one just go for it, its a perfect second board to my BP.

Comment

Hi nn66
                    What fins are you running?
                    Had my 6'2" for a week rate it as the most exciting board I have ever ridden in my 40 yrs of surfing. Tried to test the limits in 4-5 ft aussie(1-1.5 overhead) but I think the board was testing my limits! So loose and what I thought was my normal small corrections was interpreted as major which made for intense situations testing reflexes to get out. But at the same time the board gave you the stability and confidence to react. So much fun and added adrenaline. Time will get it dialled and keen to get back on.
                    Using futures sa4 in quad. Ordered a nubster style to try.

Comment

i use the VG w SA4 quads as well as CM2s for the bigger days. it definitely handles 12' faces. once on the wave, it does struggle a lil bit behind sections if its big and fast. either way tho, super fun board. i wud like to try the UNI, but as Pokersurf just posted, w the V4 comin out, i'll just wait.

Comment

Denchy I rode it with Jordy large fins in a 3 fin set up, I have not ridden it as a quad yet as a thruster this board actually seems to ride like a quad "very strange" and that is what I was after as I only ride quads and have for the past 7 years. I would say with the Jordy fin it was a bit tight on 2ft waves however in the bigger stuff it was supper grippy great on any takeoff and I surf a spot with a stepped takeoff which was not a problem as you get in really early. Interesting feedback on the SA4 and they are a large set of fins.

Comment

May have to get a larger set for the bigger days as I can see this evolving into a single board quiver for the most part. Went back to the potatonator for a small session-thigh high and felt like the queen Mary for several waves. In another session in those waves, the vg excelled on the better ones but struggled on the fatter ones where the pn would have pushed through. Wondering how the Panchos would go in the bigger stuff before I think about the AM2 set.
                          All my other boards are fcs but could not get the vg in that. Have a fair kit of fcs and hesitant to go into futures heavily.
                          I don't do thrusters anymore, for last few years, just like the liveliness of the quads with the fifth fin where needed

Comment

Denchy have not tried the Panchos in the vanguard however did a comprison side by side of the AM2 and Jordys and they are pretty much the same fin. I think if you go for either you would be happy and it goes well as a thruster and I don't like thrusters due to riding quads. I had a Chubby Cheddar for 1 month and it just was'nt for me as it rode like a thruster and was not a good step up from the BP it was too different as the BP is such a good board for sub 3ft. The problem I have with the Pancho and AM2 as a quad what rear to go with possibly some 400's but the thruster will blow you away how lively and drivy.

Comment

on waves from 4'+, i like the thruster, but anything smaller is quad style

Comment

I'm still waiting for mine and I see a 5'6" for sale surfed only twice....hmmm probably a bit undervolumed for me but it would be a bargain and I'm getting impatient!

Comment

Working...
                                X