X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fin Experience

After watching Tom Curren riding a Tomo Vanguard I've owned four Tomos since last April (2 Vanguards, Deathstar, Nano) and three local replicas (Vanguard V4, Deathstar, Vader) but HAVE NOT ridden a Firewire version and have come to a simple conclusion with fin experimentation (TP'1s, Al Merricks as thruster and quad set, Eric Arakawas, K 2.1's thruster and quad set up). Fins that incorporate a larger area (base and depth) seem to work the best FOR ME because it "grounds" the board, gives it MORE drive (like it really needs it <g>) and combats the overall skatey feel with these smaller scale boards. Quad set-ups seems to stiffen the board dramatically giving it a feel like it is on tracks and ideal for step-up conditions FOR ME (over 8 ft. faces). My "go to" thruster seems to be the TP's but at the moment I'll be experimenting with the Nexus H3's (large) because it is slightly larger than the K 2.1's but mimic the EXACT template. Coincidentally Stu Kennedy uses the TP'1s on his 5'2" and 3". Initially he rode the PC5's.

Thruster is my preference with fins of greater fin area with less rake TO ME it rides faster than the quads suprisingly with more squirt out of turns.

FWIW -- PS
    Last edited by PokerSurfer; 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM.

nice... i think i might b sold on the thrusters too for the VG, the board is fast enuff w or w/o quads and the tail slides better. btw, did u get ur customs when Tomo was shaping at the "Factory" or did u order thru Hawaiian South Shore?

Comment

fokai I originally purchased my Vanguard at Aloha Board Shop which as you know came to fruition with Dan being here in person. My second Vanguard was ordered via phone/email through Dan as a custom order. IF I could go back in time I would've NEVER sold the first one and wouldn't be in this predicament after spending ALOT of money through trail and error. IMHO for MY weight the dream measurements would be 5'3" 17.5" 2.25" for sure. I'm kinda liking this 5'4" idea just because I rode a replica that was 18.5" and it rode really well AND my personal feeling another inch or two should only compliment my surfing and not hinder it in any way.

Cheers -- PS

Comment

thats awesome. Aloha Board Shop is closing. Kareem seems to b going in another direction. my friend probably glassed ur board, thats why i asked. i know he came the past two winters and was shaping at the "Factory". cant wait to get waves on sat. its been two days and im jonesing already. hope u get ur set up soon.

Comment

fokai it's a shame he's closing shop, he was very professional and instrumental in purchasing my first Tomo as well as Kai. NO pressure whatsoever they let me go in there and browse around and just gave me my space in which I totally appreciated hence the reason why I bought my second one there too! I think they were talking THEN about Dan coming back THIS winter to do some more boards but I guess the Firewire collaboration MAY have put a "money wrench" into the works?

At any rate CAN't wait to gift wrap open my NEW Firewire next week and give my "rundown" on my session et al.

Cheers -- PS

Comment

FINALLY had the chance to put that Vanguard in the water today. All I csn say is WOW. Not only the board is fast, but it is sooo quick. i have the board set with the Jordy's L and for my 87Kgs frame they worked great, plenty of drive yet pretty loose out of the turns. When you see a board that straight you doubt how in the hell is that going to move ( at least that's what people were asking me) but the fact is that the turns were so tight.
            Absolute keeper.

Comment

AWESOME to hear iggy....... now you got me frothin'!

Cheers & Aloha -- PS
              Last edited by PokerSurfer; 03-30-2013, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Cheers pokersurfer

Comment

I want to hear more for you iggy paddle power -catch ability- wave range- compare with your other boards etc.....
                  Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X