Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger sizes / heavier riders

Hi all
    I'm interested to hear from heavier / taller riders using the bigger sizes of the vanguard.
    Is this still a credible design in the larger sizes for a good surfer?
    I can see how the design is effective in the smaller sizes but are the benefits still there as you size up?
    Or would it make more sense to switch to one of the other designs like a unibrow if you need say 34-36 litres of volume as a rough guide?
    I'm around 88-90kgs and looking at 5'10". Use a 5'6" sweet potatoe
    thanks

i ride the 5'10, but i cud get away w a 5'8, but then again the 39L of the 6'0 seems really appealing.

Comment

would you say it feels like a performance board or a bit more cruisey? I could probably get away with the 5'8 but add a wetsuit , big tides and a wider stance and i'm not so sure. Can only demo a 5'6" which doesn't really help me... need to make the right choice at this price :-)

Comment

totally agree. the wide stance might not b a problem, but the board is complete performance. hows ur paddling. my paddle is my strong suit, so i can get away w the 5'8 if i had to. the 5'10 is less volume than i normally ride already, but i can handle it pretty well. i just get tired paddling back into the line-up when the crew is catching waves at 3 to my 2.

Comment

pretty strong paddler but an old shoulder injury sometimes plays up so I tend to go for slightly higher volumes as a rule...... old age catching me!
          ok thanks think I'm set on the 5'10", need to go back and get another look at it

Comment

Bubbles I just got a 6'2" and it compliments my 5'9" BP perfectly well. The Vanguard is performance if you want it to be or you can just cruse highly recommended. I had a Dominator and Spitfire before and the Vanguard is better.

Comment

• awbuzz
              awbuzz commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah have to say I got my 6'2'' and I am very happy with it, I am 90kg and the wrong side of 50 but it goes great, only had a couple of surfs and its taking a little while to get use to but when you get it all together and hooked up it screams along, the extra volume sure helps with paddling and the old shoulders are happy as well.

I demo'd the 6.0 for 4 days and got a good feel for it. Paddling was an effort but had been out of water for 5 weeks for knee operation so was getting easier each day. Got the 6'2" four weeks later and could not perceive any performance difference at all. But better paddle which I wanted for the old shoulders!

Comment

cheers for the input !

Comment

I'm 5'11", 89kg, 15 years surfing shortboards and riding 5'6" (28.8L) without problems in Sydney Australia.

You generally have two choices with these boards. One is to ride a little on the low-end for your recommended volume (e.g. my recommended range is 30-33L) and it will paddle as well as a regular high performance shortboard even though it feels tiny, but once up and riding on the wave the lower volume will make pretty well no difference, and it will surf very much like a HPS and even faster, and could even be your HPS replacement for 2-6ft. You will also be able to surf the board pretty hard due to enough levarage to keep the rail in the water.

The other choice is to go a little higher on the volume in a similar rationale to surfing a high volume fish in small waves and this will make the board paddle pretty easily. The only downside is you'll lose a little bit of performance by riding a longer more gradual rocker and a longer rail-line, and by lowering its wave range (i.e. it might be hard to bury the rail on bigger and more powerful waves due to the extra bouyancy).

These boards are more efficient planing objects so once up and riding they go super fast despite the volume. The volume is more about paddling from A-to-B with these boards. A typical curvey shortboard is more effected by volume in terms of speed and ride.

Comment

Same as Bonzer, I was hesitating at first but pretty happy Chris talked me into the 5'6". For sure this board works well a touch undervolumed. I have never had a board this narrow and under 30lts (at least on the last 10yrs) and although skeptical at the beginning I have found no problems whatsoever gettng used to it. Quick and fast this board works like a charm for me with a set of the Jordy's L

Comment

5'8" ordered ! My short boards are closer to 33 litres not 36 so I reckon 5'8" is on the button
                    Last edited by bubbles; 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I'm around 90kg and 6'0 tall. I have a 5'8 and it feels fine. Paddles OK and gets going quickly. Only had 2 surfs so far but the volume seems fine for me.

Comment

After a bit of fussing about I ended up taking the 5'10" . Reasoning behind it was that although my short boards were around 34 litres of volume I have been surfing a lot better on higher volume fishes / hybrids and uk summer waves are generally crowded so can't afford to be scratching around on a under volume board. Hopefully test later this week

Comment

• mads sand
                          mads sand commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi guys I am 93kg viking from Denmark im on the vanguard 5,10 and it is perfekt love it, go for it......

Sandman

Just had first surf on the vanguard. Stacks of buoyancy in the 5'10" Floats my 90kgs more than easily. Nice to have the paddle power though. Felt slightly awkward on fat open faces but on walls & steeper sections it went unreal, pretty much clicked straight away. Used a quad set up, crazy speed will try a thruster set up tomorrow. Believe the hype !! These things work!!

Comment

yeah bubbles! don't let mr lahey catch you.

Comment

Working...
                          X