Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard size for a dominator fan

Hi there!
    I have a 5`6`` dominator wich i think that is the perfect size for my surfing ability/size/weight. I love it!!!
    Thinking of buying a vanguard and i am considering the 5`4``. Am i making the right decision? COuld i go shorter?
    Best regards to u all.

What do you weigh? 2 inches shorter than dominator seems to be what most are going with.

Comment

I`m 150 lbs... surf mostly 2 to 5 ft beachbreaks. the 28 litres of volume of the dominator seem perfect for me, the 5`4`` vanguard has 3 liters less but everybody`s saying it has to be surfed with less volume that what we`re used to... i`m guessing the 5`4`` is the way to go!

Comment

I think it'll be good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Citrino View Post
          I`m 150 lbs... surf mostly 2 to 5 ft beachbreaks. the 28 litres of volume of the dominator seem perfect for me, the 5`4`` vanguard has 3 liters less but everybody`s saying it has to be surfed with less volume that what we`re used to... i`m guessing the 5`4`` is the way to go!
          Yeah citrino it definitely has to be undervolumrd thid one!!!. Quite a board to ride. I also believe you are on the right track on the 5'4"

Comment

Citrino the jury's out and I too agree with the 5'4 selection, here's why....... I had the EXACT dims of the 5'2" model (custom Tomo) and I too am 150 give or take a few pounds on either end and I'm pretty fit and agressive and honestly I was struggling just paddling her. AND when I got up on her I can feel her struggling with my weight hence my reasoning of selling her and opting for the 5'4 HOWEVER IF I had it MY way I would definitely go 5'3 17.5 2 3/16 (XTR) and 2 1/4 poly/FireWire for sure.

FWIW -- PS

Comment

Hi PokerSurfer . I see in your list you had a Tomo V4. Can you tell me how does it ride comparing with other boards? How should we size it (thinking in the new FW V4)? Do we stay with same volumetry as other boards? I'm around 32Lts currently. Wave range?
              Thanks in advance

Comment

H.S.O it's actually a Tomo Vanguard WITH the V4 tail and NOT the "pointy nose" V4 version. I can however help you on selecting appropriate sizing....... in my opinion CLOSEST to your "c.l zone" the better IMHO.

Also Tomo sizing rules as follows:
                Next Generation models (Vanguard/DeathStar/Vader): Chin high
                Nano model: Nose high
                V4 model: Eye level

PS
                Last edited by PokerSurfer; 04-19-2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Thank you.
                  What does «"c.l zone" the better IMHO» means?
                  V4 model: Eye level, you mean the "pointy nose" version?
                  in FW sizes it seems tha the 6''0' is a bit undervolume and the next size 6'2'', is a bit big and overvolume...

Comment

And can you tell me about how tthey ride on rail?

Comment

H.S.O. "cl" means cubic liters as in FireWire's bouyancy rating. "IMHO" means "in my humble opinion <g> which means "grin" or smile, lol. Pointy nose obviously is the closest thing to a modern high performance surfboard which will be best at YOUR eye level for height. My experience riding Tomo surfboards and how they " ride on rail" IMHO they are somewhat a different beast so to speak meaning you can't OVERPOWER and dictate it rather let the board do the work for you. I guess ride them lightly and the speed will take over and that's where you will need to adjust and get accustomed to it and not be frustrated. You must ride more rear footed weighting oriented WITH you back foot pretty much against the tailpad arc similar to riding short fishes IMHO. Anyway the rail to rail scenario to me feels more shorter and abrupt in nature hence your adaption needs to come into play. Personally I feel one must use larger area fins (like Al Merrricks et al) to offset it's tiny template thus grounding the board and making it track better.

FWIW (for what it's worth) -- PS
                      Last edited by PokerSurfer; 04-20-2013, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Many tanks for your help on the surfboard and language :)
                        Don't know if I will be able to surf well a Tomo, but will probably try it...

Comment

Hey HSO,
                          while you can surf the Tomo very aggressively as an advanced surfer, you certainly don't have to be one to make it work for you. At all of the demos we have been doing in SoCal, there ahve been surfers of all ability levels trying the boards and having a blast. Its more about whether you want to take on a new surfing experience and learn to draw different lines than you might with conventional boards. it is a new and exciting way to surf for sure!

Cheers

Comment

Thanks.
                            I'm in doubt about what board should I buy, and all are very diferent. (V4, JK and CC...)

Comment

yeah it takes a little time to wrestle through the options. I always try to look at my quiver and look at my greatest needs. you can narrow things down pretty well by doing that and then weighing in your personal preferences will help you make that final call.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X