Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah forgot it and couldn't edit on my phone! ha

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...11634659_o.jpg

Was glass before this was taken but the wind came up. No photos mid session sadly.

Comment

still looks pretty fun!! perfect conditions for the Vanguard too. When the shoulders are a touch soft, or the walls are slower, where you might bog on a HP shortboard, the VG kills it.

Comment

Yeah I found that. It links through to the inside well, and when it hits the shallow inside and starts running the VG flies!

Comment

yeah its so fast. really is an incredible efficient shape!

Comment

That surf looks excellent PRJ. Where are the other 100 people that I would typically see at a break like that in San Diego? It tells me a little about how you can surf smaller dims than me in a similar weight class. What's your favorite board right now?

Comment

In terms of the comparison between a Vanguard and typical HPSB, I think a lot of people have trouble getting their head around that its designed as a replacement to your regular HPSB in waves 2-6ft. Not as a fish/novelty/fun-board/high-volume-small-wave board, but as a replacement to a less efficient and slower HPSB.

Afte riding my vanguard a little while, I would still need a curvey, pulled in tail HPSB for when the waves get much more powerful (e.g. sucky reefs, big point waves, etc.) as the extra drag and control they create is pretty welcome to keep the board under tight control. My 6'0" McKee roundtail quad does a great job of that until its pretty hairy sized (although its a little under-gunned).

Anything below that, the Vanguard is pretty well is quiver killer in my mind. A good quiver for East Coast Australia would read:

- Fun board, mini-mal, high volume Lis Fish, high volume simmons, finless board, etc. for having fun in total slop.

- Vanguard for 2-6ft and just about any Sydney wave or conditions.

- Step-up for serious swells and reefs (e.g. HPSB in step-up or semi-gun dimensions, 6-shooter, roundtail, etc.).

Comment

Now that looks pretty inviting!!

Comment

Had similar conditions this morning but a little more bump which made for more wedgey, punchy waves with lots of late drops down with the lip. Didn't nose dive at all which is reassuring.
                  Feeling more and more confident turning on it now, had a nice little snap on the lip where it responded real we'll.
                  I really like how long you can delay your bottom turn on this board because it just carries speed so well.

Comment

Originally posted by csarqui View Post
                    That surf looks excellent PRJ. Where are the other 100 people that I would typically see at a break like that in San Diego? It tells me a little about how you can surf smaller dims than me in a similar weight class. What's your favorite board right now?
                    Ha yeah, not too many about on a Sunday morning unless its perfect offshores. When I got in it was me and 2 mates. When I got out there were maybe 6 others that I could see spread across the bay. It's not always that way though.

As for favourite board, it would have to be the Vanguard, even though its probably not the board I surf best on.
                    The Potato will always be the pick when it's small, the Vanguard has become my every day board and the Mini Driver will probably go. I'd like to think I'd jump on the Taj if the waves were cooking but I'd be tempted to see how the Vanguard went. The Taj is still best board but the VG is the one I'm surfing all the time.
                    It's speed and flow make it so fun to surf. It surprises you how hard you can push it and it just holds as long as you're over the back foot. It's stable yet sensitive, paddles decently and catches waves well.
                    As long as you're not fighting with it it's a joy to surf!

Comment

Darn you PRJ! Now I'm all messed up in the head about what to get next. I've got cash from some boards that I've sold, just burning in my pocket. Usually I'm thinking about the next design that fits my surfing, but when I ask myself what I would be most excited to paddle out on tomorrow, it would be something totally new and different.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                        Had similar conditions this morning but a little more bump which made for more wedgey, punchy waves with lots of late drops down with the lip. Didn't nose dive at all which is reassuring.
                        Feeling more and more confident turning on it now, had a nice little snap on the lip where it responded real we'll.
                        I really like how long you can delay your bottom turn on this board because it just carries speed so well.
                        Yeah thats all due to the elongated straighter rail line engaged in the water.

Comment

It's all about having fun after all. And once you get it dialled in it looks like it can be as high performance as you can make it. Win win

Comment

PRJ glad to hear your loving the vanguard, I saw one out at fistral before easter, looked interesting, are they doing demos anywhere in cornwall you know of?
                            The V4 is kind of on my mind against the CC and the UB (timber tek) at the moment, im thinking it might have some of the benefits of the VG but with possibly less of the front foot catching problem and the 5'10 V4 looks like it might also be spot on for volume for me, although it looks strange it could be a lot of fun

Comment

DTL have a 5'6 and maybe a 5'10 to demo. A couple of the other new shapes too I think.

Comment

That is good to know! Defintley gonna try and check that out for sure! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X