Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A demo will give you a feel but if I went on how I felt on the first couple of surfs I probably wouldn't have bought one... Some people seem to click with them off the bat but it's taken me about a month to really feel good on it. I had another fun session on it today and it's definitely my favourite board to surf.
    I don't know if you ever have those days where you wish it was under 2ft and fun just so you could take the potato out and have a blast. Well now when the waves are a bit much for the Potato but still average I can take the VG out and have the same sort of fun...and if it's pumping too. It has that same drive and projection that the Potato has but with tonnes more control and obviously a way higher performance ceiling. Unless I'm heading to one of a couple of spots that I'd only surf on the rockered out Taj, the Potato and the Vanguard in the van and I'm covered. :)
    It's real easy to transition between the two too. Not sure how it'll feel when I take a HPSB out next though....

Comment

for the most part, ur not going to get ideal waves w a demo or new board unless u wanna demo or purchase when a swell hits. plus, boards r like music, sometimes u gotta play the cd longer for it to grow on u. the hidden gem songs on track 11 that make u love the cd

Comment

Lucky for me I just had the chance to demo a 5'6" VG at 3 -4 foot Winkipop. And it clicked for me straight up. It rode how I thought my ex hellfire should have. As fast as my old Tommy Peterson Fireball Fish. Super fast, super stable. Beautiful rail feel on carves. Went vertical so easily and released off the top like nothing else. Paddle wise it was just like everyone has said - okay, but picks up waves well. Prefers the 'spin and sit' method more than a long paddle-in. Would have bought the new one in the shop but the bottom has a considerable depression from freight damage. Will test out the 5'8" next surf to compare the trade-offs, but an order is definitely going in. (the 5'11" CC will have to go.)

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
          A demo will give you a feel but if I went on how I felt on the first couple of surfs I probably wouldn't have bought one... Some people seem to click with them off the bat but it's taken me about a month to really feel good on it. I had another fun session on it today and it's definitely my favourite board to surf.
          I don't know if you ever have those days where you wish it was under 2ft and fun just so you could take the potato out and have a blast. Well now when the waves are a bit much for the Potato but still average I can take the VG out and have the same sort of fun...and if it's pumping too. It has that same drive and projection that the Potato has but with tonnes more control and obviously a way higher performance ceiling. Unless I'm heading to one of a couple of spots that I'd only surf on the rockered out Taj, the Potato and the Vanguard in the van and I'm covered. :)
          It's real easy to transition between the two too. Not sure how it'll feel when I take a HPSB out next though....
          Im becoming sold on the VG, its pushing the CC and UB aside now, the idea of the potato in better waves is really appealing!,

whats the consensus on vol, do you drop lower or stay in your ideal range? should I go 5'6? 5'4? or V4 5'10 (im thinking it is ideal vol). Im surfing 28.6 at the moment but its probably a tad to much in good waves, I could def drop a litre

Comment

The 506 feels a touch big for me. If I was your weight Id go 5'4 although its a pretty big drop...
            The way the board planes up on the water makes me sure you could ride it slightly lower volume, it's just the paddle aspect.
            Maybe demo dtl's 506 and go from there?

Comment

PRJ - good advice,
              I will do that, 5'4 does look pretty small though, it is quite a big drop
              might have to wait for a 5'5 to come out, that should be on the way right?

Comment

I can't remember what mark said exactly. Could have been by the end of the year, if the demand is there I guess.

Comment

hope there is demand or I click with a 5'4 then

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                    I can't remember what mark said exactly. Could have been by the end of the year, if the demand is there I guess.
                    The post from Mark said "in around 2 months" and that was near the end of March.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
                      The post from Mark said "in around 2 months" and that was near the end of March.
                      5'5 in timbertek and il be 100% dead set sold, however dont know if il be able to wait for that

Comment

I think Deon JBay is on the 5'4. He's over 80kg but does ride lower volume boards and in good waves.

Comment

Yeh I think i remember reading Stuart Kennedy told megsy he should be on a 5'2 at 70kg. No way I'm going that low on vol though, maybe a 5'4, if you think the 5'6 is too much it may well be too much at my weight. I think I'm a good paddler, I don't struggle, I just need more vol to make up for lack of expert ability if you get what I mean

Comment

The 506 doesn't feel big to me, just that I know I could easily go smaller. I feel like I could surf the 504 and be at the opposite end of that spectrum and be wishing I had a little more.
                            Once it's available I might well get a 505 or wait for a CBD option. Not sure if I'd change construction, I love FST but the white RF is so light and responsive I'd be tempted to stick with it.
                            I will be interested to see what the new Tomo exclusive construction will be. Maybe something with XTR foam, WRF deck skin and blue HD foam stringers instead of carbon rods? Would be interesting...

Comment

yeah i have always loved the idea of RF but have always bought FST for durability. I also try to future proof as much as I can to get something that will last and not have me reaching for the next board too quick, but things just seem to be moving so fast now, I hadnt heard of a tomo construction. I may as well give up and except that I will be buying and selling on a lot more boards the next new thing just keeps coming..

cant wait for the next decent weekend forecast in cornwall so I can test out that vanguard at dtl, will probably surf up in yorkshire this weekend so il give secret spot a call and see if they do demos

Comment

Hey PRJ - how do you find the VG backhand?

I have had so much fun on a 5'6'' demo in chest high left wedges that i am thinking of picking one up this week, but being a goofy footer, i have no idea how the VG goes backhand.

Also, how far true is it that you should stick to the same volume as your boards?.

Comment

Working...
                                X