Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't really gone left much except for low tide lushies and that's just late drop grab rail and aim for the shoulder. Other than that I've had some slopey ones at Godrevy but nothing that's let me attempt to come straight up off the bottom.
    I feel like it won't allow that kind of approach, but I know it will...

As for volume I'd stay pretty close, within a litre but without trying a low volume one it's hard to say. Iggy has 10kg on me and is on the same size, but hasn't had to paddle it around a line up and compete for waves. Megsy is 7kg lighter and surfed Stu's 5'2 so I'd be surprised if the 5'4 wouldn't work at 77kg.
    All things considered, would I gain more or lose more by going 5'4? Maybe lose more. I'll probably get a 5'5 when they are released if they are 18.25" x 2.31".

Comment

Took a 5'6" for a demo at 4-6 foot Bells Beach. (I'm prob 88-89kg at the moment)35km offshore wind so it was a real tester. I was again surprised at the speed. The board felt super stable as well as being super responsive. I didn't really notice any negative effect due to the strong wind that I was expecting from such a light board. Paddle wise it's not fantastic but then it is a litre less than my prefered low HP volume of 30l. On the other hand, I caught every wave I chased, which isn't always easy at Bells as waves can tend to break a lot later than you think. Again, I will still wait to test a 5'8"

Comment

will you guys STOP talkin' about the 5'6 while i'm still waiting for mine..!!

WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, HA HA

Comment

On the waves you have had backhand, did you feel like there were going to be any issues?

I think being happy with the volume of my 5'6'' spitfire so reckon it would be sensible to stick with that.

How do people find the transition from VG back to normal daily driver - i found that when jumping back onto my spit it felt looser and less stable than it has ever felt. The VG just seems to be such a stable board for its width, strange!

Comment

Just adjustment of technique backhand I reckon. It carries speed so well it should be pretty fun backhand.

Check out the surface area in the board compare tool. The fact that most of that is wetted area is probably a big reason while its so stable.
            I don't have to think about transition back to DD because this is so fun it is my daily driver now.

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
              will you guys STOP talkin' about the 5'6 while i'm still waiting for mine..!!

WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, HA HA
              All right we will talk about the 5'8" in the meantime!!! Jejeje

Comment

Originally posted by GLH_UK View Post
                how do you find the VG backhand?
                I haven't noticed any problems at all backhand. Its a very responsive package and will go verticle with ease if you want it to, maybe just with a little more shoulder torque/turn than a twitchy and curvey HPSB.

Given you have enough fin area for enough bite based on your weight and surfing preferences, you won't have any problems with grab or release.

A top notch performer in my optinion. The only time I feel its out of its league is micro sloppy junk where you would reach for a mal or 3" Lis Fish (mind you I'm surfing on the low end of my volume scale), or super punchy/sucky reef waves where you might like a bit more nose to drive off on late take-offs and a little less volume in the tail to bury a rail better.

Still, a super top level surfer could still surf these is waves of consequence, but I prefer the board to be helping out a little myself.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                  all right we will talk about the 5'8" in the meantime!!! Jejeje
                  it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed,

Comment

waiting review, waiting review,waiting review,waiting review,waiting review,waiting review,waiting review

Comment

it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed, it's getting sprayed,
                      Niiiiiiiiiiice!!!

Comment

will you guys STOP talkin' about the 5'6 while i'm still waiting for mine.
                        HA HA
                        The only reason I have mentioned testing a 5'8" is so you don't get too upset Core.
                        I dont want no 5'8".
                        I think you will froth on the 5'6" as though it is the God of your 5'10" HF.
                        It is - barefoot surfing.
                        Can't wait for fst.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
                          The only reason I have mentioned testing a 5'8" is so you don't get too upset Core.
                          I dont want no 5'8".
                          I think you will froth on the 5'6" as though it is the God of your 5'10" HF.
                          It is - barefoot surfing.
                          Can't wait for fst.
                          Please spare a thought for me...actually Raz says it has been packed and just sent out the door. I should have mine by the end of the week. The only thing is, I think my wife might notice this one is different!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                            The only thing is, I think my wife might notice this one is different!
                            Hahaha! :D

Comment

Please spare a thought for me...actually Raz says it has been packed and just sent out the door. I should have mine by the end of the week. The only thing is, I think my wife might notice this one is different!

usually overnight slowman.. better find a hidey hole for it..!!

of course my family all coming down with a lergy so i'm isolating myself in bedroom like the "bubble boy" til vanguard arrives.. you watch, i'll get sick JUST as it arrives... i predicted this 2 months ago...!!!

Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Just between you and I, I reckon the 5'8" will be the biz and can't wait to test it. But don't tell Core. You'll catch heaps more waves.
                                Still, that 5'6" demo went real nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X