Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks fokai and prjwebb! Hard to resist buying that backup Vanguard. Going to replace the deckpad tomorrow and rekindle the magic that we once had orchestrated together <g>. Great to know I can order a 5'3 in the next couple of months IF need be.

I understand from my communications shipment for Oahu in mid July but you never know. Obviously I had NO problem selling my FireWire Vanguard locally....... classic law of supply and demand.

PS

Comment

Originally posted by PokerSurfer View Post
      prjwebb your not going to believe this but INSTEAD of purchasing the 5'2 FireWire Vanguard I finally got a hold of my previous 5'2 Tomo Vanguard 17.5 2.25 (24.3 cl) poly buyer (the airbrushed stringer) and he is willing to sell it back to me in the SAME condition after 8 long months (used ONLY 4 sessions in which I only used it for 5)! Attachment Attachment

Stoked -- PS
      That looks super sick like a light sabre for destroying lips. That's a cool story about getting your old board back. Amazing.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PokerSurfer View Post
        Selling it to a friend of mine and replacing it with my ONLY other alternative NOW other than waiting till 2014 (are you kidding me OR a 3 month custom order from Dan himself perhaps)....... the 5'2 version (good deal/tradeoff not too bad on my end besides just won some money in poker tonight <g>) but she will be in Futures in which I have some faithful Al Merricks to compliment her with....... surf session report ASAP!

PS
        By waiting until 2014, do you mean that's when the 5'3s 5'5s etc are being released? I'd be keen to try a 5'4 but I reckon the 5'5 will be money for me. That said, it feels a bit silly to buy a new board for 1" less length and .25" width and .07" thickness, but I think it would really increase the response at my weight, especially when I lose the full winter gear, hood, boots gloves...
        Last edited by Phill; 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I don't think it feels a bit silly to buy a new board for 1" less length and .25" width and .7" thickness,thats why i think new models came out this way.Don't forget you have to spent a lot of money for a board and more options you have the better it is to choose the right size for you.....Older models have big differences between 2 sizes.

Comment

Yeah there's a big jump in volume in the VG sizes. If the 5'5 comes in at 27l I think I might have to makes the change.

Comment

prjwebb check this out for measurement differences:

5'2 vs. 5'4"
              11" (nose width) 12"
              14.75 (12" down) 15.5
              17.5 (midway) 18
              14.75 (12" up) 15.75
              11 (tail width) 12.5

From MY experience these differences in feel are HUGE....... the dynamics change dramatically where the ease of manipulation factor differs.
              FWIW -- PS
              Last edited by PokerSurfer; 05-01-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Slight onshore 5 to 10mph weak shoulder high: Used my 5'2 17.5 2.25 "airbrushed stringer" poly Vanguard with Al Merrick Futures. Paddling was PERFECT, wave catching was a sinch in fact I felt literally like a grom on it <g>. The 24.3 cl buoyancy was SPOT ON for a 150 pounder for sure. SUPER fast and responsive and a keeper for life and labeled "magic". IN TIME I will get the 5'3 FireWire Vanguard for sure but figured I am sort of "off topic" but not really because after all it is a Tomo (1st generation Vanguard) and figured the dims could be vital information for R&D.

Stoked -- PS

Comment

Interesting dims.

So the longer board also has less outline curve.
                  Last edited by Phill; 05-04-2013, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Believe me prjwebb this home boy won't be missing that anytime soon (wink wink)....... Off to a third session shortly!

PS

Comment

I ordered online with choices between Surfstation.com (LOW continental USA shipping PLUS fins) and Surfride.com (LOW continental USA shipping) but went with Bcsport.com (FREE continental shipping/BEST overall shipping prices) salesman Cameron Cromartie had the best customer service as well as pricing and shipping for me. Those out here in FireWireland should take advantage particularly those that have ZERO stock locally. Had a CK board once and really liked it!

PS

Comment

i was at tropical blends and talked to Jim for a while yesterday and saw a lot of boards. not what i wanted tho. i then checked my friend at Moku, he had a 5'8 and a 5'4, but again not what i wanted. im just saying that if i have to wait 3 mos for a board, i can get one locally shaped for $350 and have it in hand 3 weeks later.i like the FW, but if it keeps up like this, maybe the VG will end up being my last purchase other than the Baked Potato im picking up from a friend which also wasnt in stock for the size i wanted.

Comment

Hey fokai I know what you mean, I guess FireWire didn't expect this kind of reception for the Vanguards and honestly personally I can attest this is a complete suprise. BEFORE Stu competed at the Hurley Pro 2012 NOBODY knew OR wanted to touch these mysterious crafts in fact I had a hard time reselling mine throughout 2012 and noticed luckily for me Aloha Board Shop in spring of 2012 had them stocked up for long long time. So call it mistiming on preparation of unloading enough Vanguards worldwide perhaps FireWire just wanted to "test out the water"?

Been there done that with the local "replicas" and no one can touch Dan's magical dynamics incorporated in these magic sleds. Dan's customs only take 3 months which is pretty remarkable if you think about it, the only downfall is the shipping out to Hawaii....... HOWEVER Dan worked with more affordable freight options so that made it definitely worthwhile for me than the average UPS/Fed Ex costs.

How much for the 5'4 at Moku's shop by the way?

Wasn't someone selling a FireWire Vanguard on Craigslist like about 3 weeks ago and stated it was on consignment at Tropical Blends?

P.S. I paid $699 (ZERO tax online) plus $154 shipping for mine, you should look into those three online stores OR Hawaiian South Shore (owner was knocking off $50 3 weeks ago so wouldn't hurt to ask for it) for a custom version poly by Dan himself DeathStar(step up/tail creates longer arcs in turns) OR Vader (groveler/loosest of all three where the Vanguard is in the "all arounder camp"): http://www.hawaiiansouthshore.com/sh...urfboards.html

5'10? Attachment OR the 5'9 DeathStar has the same cl volume as FireWire's 5'10 @ 35.7: Attachment

Cheers -- PS
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by PokerSurfer; 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

fokai I forgot to mention in which you may also know but a couple of good friends of mine also led me to two "local" shapers that can shape "Tomo influenced" templates are Town & Country Surfboards (Glenn Pang) and Setsu Surfboards. Also from my experience Bret Muramoto Surfboards, Greg Griffith, The Blue Room Surf Shop, Chronic Surfboards, Young Hawaiian Surfboards as well as Forged Surfboards can aslo replicate them all at affordable prices and reasonable timelines. I've paid $395 to $510 personally for poly and have been quoted from $395 to $600 (high end for epoxy). So compare that to Custom Tomo polys @ $720 to XTR's @ $790 (PLUS shipping) and FireWire Vanguards locally from $699 to $820 (stock/location availabiity).

One must also consider the "trade offs" meaning can it be dupulicated accordingly and precisely? Afterall the complexity of the bottom contours are extroadinary and mind boggling let alone a "glasser's nightmare"! Especially epoxy versions (comparable to Tomo's XTR and FireWire's RapidFire) and don't forget added costs for this upgrade as well. Call it "different strokes for different folks" and part of "hiccups and bumps" that I've experience being on a forever magic surfboard quest and live and learn path of life. I'm all about supporting the local economy because afterall I too am self-employed and self reliant on our local economy but for this particular circumstance nothing can beat "the real deal". HOWEVER IF you have the luxury to leave a Tomo OR FireWire version with a shaper perhaps it would give them an edge I would assume.

For me personally I've been known to be a "penny pincher" but what I've learned that trying to save a few pennies in the end cost me handsomely.
                            FWIW -- PS
                            Last edited by PokerSurfer; 05-02-2013, 02:34 AM.

Comment

I think the thing to remember is all the FW boards world wide are coming out of one factory so they have to spread the inventory they are capable of producing worldwide. There's also longer shipping times involved and the boards are made to fill the orders placed by dealers. I'm guessing initial orders on the Vanguard by dealers were fairly small as they probably weren't sure how it would be received. Now that they are selling out everywhere dealers are ordering a lot of them and they are heavily back ordered. Because all the boards are coming from the one factory I imagine there's a bit of a bottle neck on how much they can produce at once, not to mention filling the orders for all the other models across the world.
                              Most of the other big brands have Aus factories, USA factories, Euro factories and often shapers working through Indo/Asia also so for them it's probably easier to keep up with demand for their local areas.
                              I'm sure once the next shipment comes in there will be a lot more Vanguards about, if they aren't all already pre ordered?

Note: This post is full of 'i'm guessing's and 'i imagine's because I obviously don't know the whole logistics of Firewire's operation.

Comment

prjwebb....... where's my Vanguard? Attachment

LOL -- PS
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X