Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha!

Comment

Mark has just confirmed on another forum that the odd inch increments will be listed on the website in the next few days with plans to have the Vanguard in the CBD by September.
      The catch with the odd increments is they are an inch shorter, narrower but thicker than the size above to keep the volume about the same.
      Eg.
      506 x 18.50" x 2.38" 28.8l
      505 x 18.25" x 2.44" 28.9l

The aim is to give better surfers the option to ride, shorter, narrower, more sensitive versions whilst keeping them volume the same.

Comment

Great news...prjwebb

Comment

Prjwebb that makes NO sense whatsoever. ...... it's all about diversifying the cubic liter volume right??? Am I missing something?

PS

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
            Mark has just confirmed on another forum that the odd inch increments will be listed on the website in the next few days with plans to have the Vanguard in the CBD by September.
            The catch with the odd increments is they are an inch shorter, narrower but thicker than the size above to keep the volume about the same.
            Eg.

The aim is to give better surfers the option to ride, shorter, narrower, more sensitive versions whilst keeping them volume the same.
            I would have thought that at 5'6 or 5'8" its already way shorter and more sensitive than the 6'0" - 6'4" boards I could ride in the FW line-up.
            However both are either side of (what I consider) my ideal volume.
            I guess I will wait and see before I get too upset. Its not like i didn't love the 5'6" in good surf. I was just hoping for a teeny bit more paddle power. Have attached a photo of the "semi" secret test day. Yes you don't get much better than that.
            Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

Sarge that must be what "Heaven" looks like but ofcourse there must be alot of bikini women on the sandy shoreline tanning and watching <g>.

Not sure what's going on with the logic of the new odd incremental sizing but like you said wait for confirmation before drawing to conclusions.

Cheers -- PS

Comment

Actually, I was thinking about how much I enjoyed the 5'6" and realised that there is really no need to wait.
                1 x 5'6" VG ordered. Hope I can sell the 5'11" CC quickly.

Comment

Mark said his off the rack 506 felt like a step up over his hand shaped 504 that Tomo shaped (the bamboo deck version) that he was riding in everything. The idea of the new dimensions is to allow people that want to ride a shorter, narrower version but still keep the volume of the bigger size.
                  Personally I'd rather see the gaps filled as I could feel I could ride 27l in this design easily, but that's not what's happening. That said, as soon as the CBD gets the green light I'll be ordering a 5'4" x 18.25" x 2.38" version. Depending on whether they are putting sizing restrictions on this shape, because of how scalable the template is compared to a standard shape, I'd also love to order something in the 5'0" x 20" x 2.5" range as a sweet potato replacement, but I'm thinking the bottom contours would need adjusting to accommodate that width.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
                    Actually, I was thinking about how much I enjoyed the 5'6" and realised that there is really no need to wait.
                    1 x 5'6" VG ordered. Hope I can sell the 5'11" CC quickly.
                    Hi sarge you think VG 5.6 can replace 5.11 CC in your quiver especially at the low end more weak waves?
                    Thanks.

Comment

IF anything I can understand being shorter AND narrower but WHY thicker? Especially for a "skilled" surfer would primarily surf a board UNDER volumed in the rails and NOT thicker if you really think about it....... their logic sure is confusing. So FOR ME were talkin' EITHER 5'1 17.25 2 3/16 OR 5'3 17.75 2 5/16? Hmmm...... For me @ 150 lbs the 5'1 sounds more realistic because the 2 1/4" is already "boat" material.

PS
                      Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      Eg.

Last edited by PokerSurfer; 05-03-2013, 02:31 AM.

Comment

FAR OUT SARGE..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .. oh man..is that seriously the test conditions you got... not even crowded... FAR OUT SARGE...!!!

Comment

I guess they are thinking if a good surfer wants less volume they can drop 2" instead of just 1". But like you the 2" drop is too much for me and the 1" too much volume. People like us will be CBD of customs from Tomo I guess.
                          That said the stock 506 is still loads of fun!

Comment

I would have thought that at 5'6 or 5'8" its already way shorter and more sensitive than the 6'0" - 6'4" boards I could ride in the FW line-up.
                            However both are either side of (what I consider) my ideal volume.
                            I guess I will wait and see before I get too upset. Its not like i didn't love the 5'6" in good surf. I was just hoping for a teeny bit more paddle power. Have attached a photo of the "semi" secret test day. Yes you don't get much better than that.
                            Attachment
                            I don't think I'd have been able to risk 'testing' a board in those waves. Would be on old faithful CBD Taj and relishing it. Would be pissed if I wrecked that session fighting a new board.
                            You clicked right off the bat so I guess you WERE loving it though.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I bought my CC for good quality waist to head high surf, so for me I reckon the 5'6" VG has that covered.
                              That swell had been hovering in that region for a few days and I'd caught some good ones on the Mini Driver in the days prior. To be honest it didn't look quite so big from the carpark - about 400 metres away from the outside takeoff, and looking down on it from the cliff. I realised it could be interesting once I got to the shore break. I was luckily (as it turned out) in position for a set wave as soon as I got out there. Would have prefered a warm up on a mid-sized one, but I was on the spot and 'you don't go- you don't get! Anyway it worked out to be big smiles on me. Only downer is I probably won't get waves like that again for another year.

Comment

I bought my CC for good quality waist to head high surf, so for me I reckon the 5'6" VG has that covered.
                                That swell had been hovering in that region for a few days and I'd caught some good ones on the Mini Driver in the days prior. To be honest it didn't look quite so big from the carpark - about 400 metres away from the outside takeoff, and looking down on it from the cliff. I realised it could be interesting once I got to the shore break. I was luckily (as it turned out) in position for a set wave as soon as I got out there. Would have prefered a warm up on a mid-sized one, but I was on the spot and 'you don't go- you don't get! Anyway it worked out to be big smiles on me. Only downer is I probably won't get waves like that again for another year.
                                You'll be right Sarge - Tama gets like that doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X