X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is interesting

I don't know if the link will work but if it doesn't search you tube for Cropped Compact Surfboard Design

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7fQtuz2Zjs

That is interesting. At a high level the board looks similar. I think that shapers have been experimenting with cropped noses for a long time. At the detailed level, that board is very different from a Tomo. It's fat, thick, and doesn't have all the magic bottom contours that make the Vanguard work so well. Interesting claims that the shaper makes.

Comment

I had a board with a kind of similar nose on it shaped by Gunther Rohn back in the 80's so yeah, nothing new under the sun... I also firmly believe in the 100th monkey theory, ie. teach 99 monkeys to do something and the 100th monkey just intuatively understands how to do that same trick without having to even see it!

Comment

PS. Yes wide and thick, looks a lot like a McCoy Nugget kind of volume in there huh.

Comment

ha great find. the comments are classic. Look there IS a lot more to a Tomo than that board. I would even go so far as to say the only striking similarity between the two are shape or the board "silhouette". as csarqui said, the bottom contours are different, i am sure the foam distribution is different, the bottom is nothing close and the tomo boards are built light and high performance. The reason that guy didn't win any "awards" is because he didn't develop the board beyond just a funky shape. Tomo's boards truly are thought out inch by inch and comprehensively formulaic.

In surfing there will always be inspiration and extension of previously existing ideas. honestly though, in 2007, I think its likely Tomo already had some of this kind of thing in the works. the modern planing hull didn't crop up over night.

Comment

Well there are SEVERAL notorious differences between both boards. No doubt the one on the video could have been the spark, but rail lines bottom concaves tail designs channels and overall volume distribution are VERY different. Guaranteed both boards does not ride alike. This is a clear example of EVOLUTION in surfboard design. Well at least that is my humble opinion

Comment

Working...
            X