Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ranggiz, Did you reach out to the company about your board or was it just through the forum? Feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can help you out. Cheers

Comment

I dont know how much truth to this is but a friend told before ryan tested the board firewire said they rushed the rapid fire vanguard to him, the board had not cured in time and that was the reason why the board snapped after 10 waves. After experiencing the board snap after a few months i tend to believe him now. I would surf the board about three times a week

Comment

i know mine snapped due to surfing and not production. thanks tho

Comment

Hi Chris, Thanks for that. Raz e-mailed and sorted things out. Great service. I was thinking how am i going to buy another vanguard without my wife finding out. I didnt think firewire would fix the problem as i thought its my problem. And once again thanks chris. One of the best boards i owned yet.

Comment

This thread scares the heck out of me. I've owned 4 FW's, all in FST, and have absolutely loved the performance and durability of the boards. I'm really interested in the upcoming V4. However, since it will only be available in Rapidfire initially, I'm not sure I want to take the risk. It seems like I've seen a lot of posts regarding durability issues with the Rapidfire construction. For those of you who ride Rapidfires, what are your experiences?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            The deck on a RF board is considerably tougher than a PU board. The rails and bottom are of similar strength to other off the rack boards as they are just glass and epoxy over foam. They are quite a bit lighter though and because of the construction they have a more lively flex pattern that wont lose it's spark after a short while.
            I prefer FST because the deck and bottom are of equal tensile strengths and because the balsa rails cut down rail dings considerably.

I like the feel of the RF construction (don't like the look) but can only get about 1 year before the board is completely destroyed. I've yet to max out the lifespan of an FST board. I can use FST for a couple years, sell them for good money, and then move on to the latest FW hotness.

Comment

• Tescot
            Tescot commented
            Editing a comment
            Very interesting and good perspective to know.

That's been my experience with FST as well. I think I'll hold-off until the V4 is available in FST.

Comment

My experience with Firewires has been this; two original Flexfires from four-five years ago, bombproof. Ouadraflex, lasted great for six months until it snapped, although on a pretty strong shore pound. The last three, a Taj, a Sweet Potato and a Spitfire (all FST) have gotten multiple holes and dents in the deck with the only impact being the knot in my trunks. I eliminated a knot, still more holes. The decks are like paper, so I resorted to cutting 1/8" 3/4 deck pads out of tail pad material. The construction has definitely changed for the worse. It kinda blows when you discover that your $800 board is sucking water without ever hitting anything. If your board starts to feel different (heavier??) it probably is. Check Your Decks!
            I contacted FW, got one "concerned" email back, sent some detailed high res pics but never heard back. There are plenty of other board manufacturers out there, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by DMsurfer View Post
              This thread scares the heck out of me. I've owned 4 FW's, all in FST, and have absolutely loved the performance and durability of the boards. I'm really interested in the upcoming V4. However, since it will only be available in Rapidfire initially, I'm not sure I want to take the risk. It seems like I've seen a lot of posts regarding durability issues with the Rapidfire construction. For those of you who ride Rapidfires, what are your experiences?
              I have had no issues with durability. I'm at just over 3 years on my 6'0" Spitfire in RF. I am 5'11", 175lbs and surf 2-3 times a week, usually on the Spit. The only issues I've had are on the very end tip of the diamond tail where I got a little bit of spider cracking from my leash pulling when I had to bail under a massive set. A local shop repaired it as good as new. My deck has some minor rib & foot stomp marks, but nothing major at all. I have a 6'2" Stealth in FST that has zero issues as well. I love them both!
              My main surfing buddy, after trying my Spitfire, bought a 6'0" Dom in FST, a 5'7" BP in RF and just picked up a 6'2" Unibrow in TT. The Dom and BP get equal time and he has also had no issues, despite being a very heavy footed surfer. He would go through the tail on a poly board in 3-4 months back in the Clark Foam days.

Comment

Working...
              X