X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped vanguard

First of all the vanguard is a pretty sick board. While surfing a 2 ft wave it looked like it was going to close out. I kicked the board over the back of the wave and i ended up going down the face. When i came up the board was in two. I checked the board on the beach and it had four crease marks up the board. I have only had the board for about 2 and half months. I am 88 kgs and ride the 5'8 model. Pretty gutted. I tried to post pictures but the site wont let me saying i dont have permission.
    Last edited by ranggiz; 06-16-2013, 01:32 PM.

The vanguard

Comment

dont feel bad. i had the 1st in Hawaii, and i know mine was first to break. although it was 6-8' hawaiian during the monster swell last month.

Comment

@ranggiz, that sucks...especially when you only had it for a few months and probably paid a pretty penny for it.
        @fokaiHI, you had the very first one?? I thought Myles did haha. How'd you break your Vanguard anyway? When's the next town swell?

ALOHA!!

Comment

yea. i got a heads up before most. like i said, my friend owns a shop and as soon as it got to the shop, i was there. in fact, i stopped and showed to a couple other shops before they got their shipment .

Comment

@fokaiHI, I wan't to pre-order but I hate waiting for a long time haha. Btw, i'm following Stu Kennedy on Instagram and damn that V4 looks slick! Your next board?

ALOHA!!

Comment

Pretty penny is correct. I thought it would last longer than 3 months tho. O well when does the fst version come out. I mite hav to safe a bit more that. V4 cud b the go

Comment

V4 hmmm

Comment

Nah... this past swell i picked up a pretty sweet ride.steady take offs on solid 4'-6' at Baby Haleiwas and Bomburas. im pretty sold on the tech as well. the V$ looks sic tho, but until they r in FST, i will stay away. the ADD and BP in RF i like, but the VG as good as it rode wud have been better in FST. i wud really like a V4, but unless its in the store, im not going to buy. im just way to impatient. if it feels good under the arm, im walking out w it. i posted a while back to pre-order, but nobody hit me up.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You preorder through your local shop fokai, then they'll put in the order to firewire and as soon as there's one available it'll be in their next shipment. i think i'll be waiting until there's a CBD and FST option before I get another FW Vanguard.

the thing about the pre-order is that the shops here need 5 orders before they get the shipment. all of our shops r on consignment, so if they have a lot of stock (which is generally for smaller surfers) they're not going to order. STABL just got the VG last week where as other shops had it in Feb. i was told that FW wasnt going to stock on consignment as much as before and i know for a fact that the shops arent going to purchase the boards outright. I'm not bashing FW for wanting to get orders before they ship, but if i want a board that costs $800 + $175 to ship or have to wait 3mos to get free shipping, i dont have the patience. believe me, id like a TTBP and an FSTV4. i have nothing negative to say about FW boards. each board i've owned and have work awesome.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ah i didn't realise the shipping issues. i understand the frustration then.

I agree fokai. I will never purchase a rapid fire ever again. All the guys in my town are rubbishing firewire. When i first got the vanguard they were like yeah i will order one of those its a firewire there strong as. Now no one wants one. I will try get my local shaper to make a new vanguard unless the fst version is being put out soon. My local shop purchases firewire just like how you explained fokai otherwise it cost to much for shipping.

Comment

Interesting. On the SurfingLife review, that guy (Ryan) said that he snapped the board after 10 waves. The demo that I tried out here in SD was a 5'4 and it already had a crease in it. Then, of course, there are the boards that were mentioned here. For me, this is the thinnest/shorted/narrowest board that I've ever ridden. Maybe it's just physics? FST would be awesome!

Comment

i think the RF works on the BP as well as the ADD due to style of surf u put it thru. those boards r meant to b ridden on the top whereas the VG u want to bury it. most readers know i luv the VG, but wud prefer the FST due to the punishment it goes thru.

@Phill, yea the shipping is what gets u. the wait is due to not paying for shipping. we all know surf shops make minimal amounts on boards already which has the cost of shipping deleted w more orders. i think the target is 5 because they can get 5 in a box. my friends shop rents the boards so he doesn't care much about what he receives, on the other hand ny other friend that owns his shop as well cant afford to front the money for new boards all the time.

i'd like to b clear that this is my only issue w FW and all of the surf industry as well. i wud custom order locally more, but our tech is behind cali and australia. most glassers dont want to do eps so shapers dont do them. let alone the wait for eps blanks here work along the same lines as the shipping. FW tech is second to none, but Hawaii's lag in tech is even second to second. pretty sad w the great shapers we have too.

Comment

@fokaiHI, seems like the issue in Hawaii is resources, loyalty, and the novelty of shaping clark foam or whatever PU is being used now lol. I'm actually OK with Firewire and other companies mass producing in a different country. Less pollution in our paradise :)

ALOHA!!

Comment

• fokaiHI
                          fokaiHI commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ur definitely on spot w that.... Hawaii is behind the times. i like the tech FW has. i feel as if i always have the right board when i paddle out. i dont blame FW for my VG snapping. if u saw the sets i saw that Monday. 6'+ A-Frames. if there was a day for the board to break it was that day. i know u know Vance too. he busted his FW the next day..ali an say is, it was big. seeing guys on 10' boards getting pitted off the drop. u werent safe paddling back out.

@fokaiHI, about the V4 order, I would have ordered with you but i'm saving for the Baked. Can only afford one board per year... :(

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                        X