X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sizes Available!!

odd lengths, thicker and higher volume Vanguards available now!

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...ardid=vanguard

Bah, still nothing that fits me. Will have to go custom.

Comment

That's an interesting combination of dims. I'm still loving my 5'4, catch-ability and surf-ability are great, but I'm getting a little burned out with how much effort it is to paddle around the line-up. I'm currently at 175 lbs so it's not a surprise. I'm liking the V4 dims.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah that's why I haven't got a 5'4 on the way. Sometimes there can be quite a bit of paddling and water moving around here and I don't want something that's going to paddle like a tug boat.
        I'm getting a 5'4 x 18" x 2.38" custom made but with more refined rails than the 2.38" FW VG. Once there's an FST CBD option I'll get one of those most likely :)

Hello there, 5'3"!

Comment

Interesting new size options there. Good to see Firewire plugging in the size gaps on a collab model. I'm golden though. The original 5'6" should fit me perfectly.

Comment

Indeed kite

Comment

I'm waiting till it comes in FST or Timber. No RF for me unless it's half the price :)

ALOHA!!

Comment

Is that a mistake with the liters for the 5'5 in the specs section in the boards page It says 28.9, more than the 5'6 at 28.8

Comment

Actually it probably isn't Having a better look at the chart most of the new sizes are grouped within 0.2 liters of another Strange

Comment

• Sarge
                  Sarge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, apparently the size smaller is for the same weight rider as the size above, but surfs better and wants a more responsive board. I don't know for sure but wonder if its a thicker centre line with a lower rail too.

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You'd hope so, but with the volume I'd guess no.

I felt up the 5'5 Vanguard in the store the other day. The thing is very chunky compared to my 5'4 which makes sense since it's like 3L more. It's tempting to get the improved paddle, but.... I don't know. If it was an "in between" volume, something like 27.5L, it would have been perfect.

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah I found the 2"3/8 rails too full, I imagine the 2"7/16 is even more so, unless they bumped up the centre and dropped the rails.
                  The thing is, with the 1/2" deep concave or whatever it is the thickness from the dome of the deck to the tuck of the rail is more like 2"3/4.
                  Maybe that's why Tomo's boards have always been so thin?

Phil, did you actually feel out the 5'5? If so, how did it compare to your 5'6?

Comment

Would someone knowledgeable from Firewire please give guidance on the new odd numbered Vanguard sizes? Same volumes but shorter and thicker....so what are these new boards for as opposed to same volume in original dims? Better waves? Different kinds of surfers?, Please explain the rational..they must have been changed for some reason because it wasn't splitting the dims, it was modifying the proportions while keeping the same volume constant. None of us out here on the interweb really know for sure why its just speculation so can you please throw us a bone, the reason behind the proportion modifications is...???

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mark Price said on another forum. The idea is to allow good surfers to ride shorter, narrow, more sensitive sizes while still keeping their optimum volume. Of course, that's assuming one of the sizes fit your optimum volume in the first place.

• shredhead
                    shredhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Phill!

• sambone
                    sambone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I talked with a firewire rep in San Diego CA about the difference between the new lengths on the Vanguard. Specifically the 5'5 and 5'6. They have essentially the same overall volume. The 5'5 is an inch shorter (duh) and its just a bit narrower...but then slightly thicker (2 7/16 for the 5'5 vs 2 3/8 for the 5'6). He told me the new in between lengths (5'3, 5'5, 5'7) will surf slightly more hi performance than the original. I am picking up a 5'5 tomorrow so I'll let yall know what I think.
                    I had a 5'6 but just sold it. Great board but want to try the 5'5.

Just to add on to what Phill said, Daniel wanted to offer the board in slightly thicker versions so we dropped the length a little and beefed it up a bit so that we could achieve this. Otherwise, the boards function no differently from the original dims.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

So is the rail profile the same on both versions? Do the new sizes have a thicker centre line and a lower comparative rail? Or are they just more sensitive because they are an inch shorter?
                    Thanks.

Comment

• shredhead
                      shredhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good question. I imagine if the rail stays the same or even a hair thicker it would be fine. Going thinner could yield diminishing returns IMO. Looking forward to holding one when the odd sizes come in here.

I recently purchased the 5'5 and I've been riding now for about 3 weeks. 5'11 170lbs, I came up from riding the 5'4 which I absolutely love but I found it difficult to paddle around in the line-up, over time. The 5'5 is 1/4" wider, 1" longer, and 3/16" thicker. I justified that the purchase by telling myself that it's not much bigger, most of the size increase is in the thickness. Simply put, I'm really happy with it. I initially took it to Costa Rica, 8-12ft face surf, and the board held just fine. The rocker provides a lot of control when the waves get big and fast. Now that I'm back in San Diego and I'm riding my usually 2-3ft surf, I'm finding to be a great all-around board. It's still small enough skate it down the line and make it do whatever you want. But it's also thick enough to support you when you need to paddle around for 3 hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X